Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @345.15 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Long, shortened, and midrange domains pros and cons list

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Long, shortened, and midrange domains pros and cons list  (Read 2264 times)
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: December 16, 2021 @37.35 »

There are a lot of ways to make a domain, and for me, there are 3 types of domains, long, short, and midrange.
All of them have their pros and cons so I put them in a list that hopefully, I didn't get wrong.

Long domains

Pro

• Less of them are taken
  • Cheaper
  • It's easier to get a domain with a popular TLD

Con

• They are hard to memorize
  • Takes longer to get used to typing them.

Short domains

Pro

• They are easier to memorize
  • You can type them quickly
  • In some scenarios, they are nice to look at

Con

• More expensive
  • They are taken more frequently
  • If you use a less popular TLD you will lower in search results on a search engine

Midrange Domains

Pro

• Easy to memorize
  • Can higher up in search results on a search engine
  • Recognizable
  • Eazier to get a popular TLD

Con

• Depends on luck if it isn't taken
  • Can be expensive sometimes

:ozwomp: my beloved

cinni
Full Member ⚓︎

believe in your dreams <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: cinni

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021 @282.33 »

i thought about this before i got my latest domain, cinni.net. at first i considered some variation of cinni-dreamworld.net etc, but ultimately landed on my current domain because the short url seemed cuter and easier to remember! tee-hee

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021 @28.99 »

I'm always a bit annoyed by people who have clever domains like "im.cool" or something. Partly because I'm not smart enough to think of such domains and partly because it shows they put far too much thought into their domain than they should have :omg:k:

Melonking.net is a mixed bag, as a website url I think its a nice length and easy to remember. HOWEVER as an email url its way too long. I use nonit.me for email because I like having a shorter address for that (Although I still want to replace that someday). One time I tried to go crazy and make a super short domain I got mur.ie and made my email "d@mur.ie"... but that was just not very aesthetic and a bit too obscure so I scrapped it.

I think in truth people should just pick one that they are happy with, you don't need to overthink a domain, if it suits you and represents what you wanna represent well then it can be long or short. What matters is the site; a bad site with a great domain is still a bad site, but a good site with a bad domain is still a good site.

Whats your opinion on emoji domains or all number domains?

https://☃️.net/

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Cy83rPr1mm13
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021 @208.96 »

Whats your opinion on emoji domains or all number domains?

https://☃️.net/

Emoji domains as a concept delight me to no end, actually. Though I think I would get very annoyed by typing emoji on a desktop all the time.

Though for long or short domains I don't have a ton of preference; since browsers autofill stuff I really only need the first 3-6 letters of a domain on tap to navigate. I care more about TLDs, and .net is king in my heart :loved:
Nightdrift
Full Member ⚓︎

Suspicious Activity™

StatusCafe: nightdrift

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021 @246.78 »

I've been struggling with deciding if I do want to buy a domain, mostly because I'm not exactly hurting for one right now, and I'm not sure if I want to rush into it quite yet...getting back into webbuilding for a hobby is still a day-by-day process.

I do like domains with a medium length, but I'm used to autofill, bookmarking, or just typing things out. I may be in the camp of forcing brevity to be a little overrated, but I also admit I'm a windbag LOL, who likes overly descriptive titles. That said, I am not a lot of fun and do not really care for emoji domains (:x) But in defense, I use my desktop more than my phone to browse the web, so the idea seems...a little troublesome haha

On the topic of domain lengths and their pros/cons, when did you all decide to get a domain? Was it early on in the process, or did you take a bit longer to eventually purchase one? Or for those who haven't purchased one, have you held off for any particular reasons?

Status Cafe Profile
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023 @491.96 »

On the topic of domain lengths and their pros/cons, when did you all decide to get a domain? Was it early on in the process, or did you take a bit longer to eventually purchase one? Or for those who haven't purchased one, have you held off for any particular reasons?

i got mine quite a while after making my neocities site, about a year or so. mostly i just got it cuz i wanted something a little prettier than the default neocities domain and its only like €3 a year for the first 2 years so i figured i may as well  :grin: 

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

myleszey
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rabbit

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023 @903.29 »

I've been thinking on getting the domain squishyrabbit.online for a while now, mainly because .online TLDs are so cheap. But then again I want something to host an email at... though that raises other issues like "what if I stop paying for the domain" and "how am I going to migrate everything from Outlook, etc."...

I'm always on the lookout for other rabbit-related domains that might suit my needs.

Marcellus
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Rance Baise Ouais !!

iMood: Marcellus

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024 @55.71 »

I've been through a lot to find a domain that would fit me, and it's still not over. Initially, I was eyeing at marcellus.fr, because of my pseudo and because I'm french (also marcellus.com isn't available). The thing is, and I didn't even imagine it would be so, Marcellus is actually the name of a french town, thus making it a reserved name by french DNS authorities. I tried to buy marcellus.fr twice, but they wouldn't let me have it unless I sent them a project description and/or a business plan to describe what I wanted to do with this domain.

I ended up settling for marcelus.net, which was available, cheap, and relatively close to my pseudonym. But at the same time, I'm sure you understand how important a nickname is, it's like the identity you chose and want to be associated with, and I feel like I can't get marcelus.net to fit me, it feels kind of wrong. And of course I could just use neocities but I need to use subdomains and I like configuring everything on my own.

Lately I've been looking for a replacement, one that would either be or contain marcellus.something or be completely unrelated but that would still fit me. It looks like notmarcellus.com and itsmarcellus.com (or .fr) could be some good options, I've also seen marcellus.rocks (cos I play guitar and music) but I'm not sure about that one...

Do you have any advice about that ?

"Sometimes I create feelings in others that they themselves don't understand."
- Flash McQueen
varve
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024 @179.24 »

I have owned a domain for quite a long time now, which I bought for a now-defunct website, and which I mostly use for email now. Although I did point it to my neocities site once I got that set up, just to have something other than email attached to it.

The downside is, I used the perfectly legal - (dash) in the domain name, and some web forms either reject that as if it were invalid, or dump it straight into a spam bin, so I also have to maintain my gmail account. Everyone accepts gmail :tongue:

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024 @291.82 »

why did I make this???

:ozwomp: my beloved

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024 @113.89 »

I've considered getting a domain from time to time, especially if I ever get the Neocities supporter plan, but I quite like my site being a totally free hobby and I don't feel any great need for a domain. The only option that seems super right to me if I got a domain is purplehello98.net, unless I change the name of my site---I don't really love the aesthetic of .xyz or other TLDs with my site's name. I'm pretty content with my AOL e-mail (and, like other have said, it has the benefit of having a very easy end bit to memorize so I'm free to have a longer username before the @) so I don't imagine I'll ever turn to self-hosting, but who knows?

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

Swiftpaw

it/its

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024 @664.87 »

My system's domain is anomaly.monster since it's so cheap and we think it works very well because it feels more like a phrase or title that's easy to remember and type and works on its own for a website name. It's also easy to tell people we want to give our website out to "our website is Anomaly dot Monster" out loud.

We also ended up getting an Email with it just yesterday actually. So far it seems to work well and we think it's cool to say our email is "@anomaly.monster".

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Ultimate Freeware List of Excellence

Started by ObspogonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 2184
Last post January 14, 2022 @865.94
by Obspogon
what are you listening to right now?

Started by ArbyBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 275
Views: 20760
Last post March 26, 2024 @943.85
by lilac
U Bucket List! U - Post your bucket list!

Started by MelooonBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 4
Views: 1606
Last post June 24, 2022 @900.07
by Kitchen Staff

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi