Interests Zone > ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

What's the last movie you watched and how did you like it?

(1/19) > >>

myry:
As the title says! The latest movie I watched was Fire and Ice from 1983. I've been watching a lot of older animation movies lately and this was next on my list. The story and the pacing of the movie was pretty mediocre, but I loved the background paintings and that old-school visual style of this movie a lot!

MrsMoe:
Close Encounters of the Third Kind! I'm pretty sure I've seen most of Spielberg's filmography by now, but this is one that's been escaping me for a while. I actually liked it a whole lot! It has the usual Spielbergian whimsy behind certain scenes, but a lot of it is genuinely really intense and ominous at times. The aliens have a great sense of mystery to them built up throughout the film and the drama that erupts within the family comes with some fantastic performances. Just a very heartfelt and engaging movie all around.

Melooon:
Close Encounters is one of my all time favourite films, it has some incredibly moody scenes and the sense of expanse and mystery is unmatched! :grin:

I watched Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind last night. I last saw it when it was new and I was about 10 I didn't fully understand it then, so it was a new experience, particularly having now experienced a smilier breakup to the one it depicts :ohdear:

The start is a bit slow and the characters are.. narcissistic.. but I started to realise that was the point.. its about self obsession and the way we rarely look at others, and only focus on the idea of others we create in our minds. It starts to become more and more surreal and quite beautiful, and it made me rethink my own life a little. Its the sorta movie that you need to watch at the right moment, and it was the right moment for me :smile:

Guest:
I finally saw Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. I really liked it, but it's definitely got a lot of Sam Raimi-isms that a lot of people seem to dislike. I thought the silliness and comic-bookiness really added to it though.

--- Quote from: myry on June 18, 2022 @906.26 ---As the title says! The latest movie I watched was Fire and Ice from 1983. I've been watching a lot of older animation movies lately and this was next on my list. The story and the pacing of the movie was pretty mediocre, but I loved the background paintings and that old-school visual style of this movie a lot!
--- End quote ---

I have a list of Ralph Bakshi movies that I need to track down, and Fire and Ice is at the top. Even though I haven't seen many of them, I love the style of his movies. I remember getting to watch Cool World as a kid because my parents thought it would be like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. :grin:

AloeVega:
A couple days ago, I watched Peanut Butter Falcon. I thought it was a super beautiful and touching story about how people should be allowed to live their own life on their own terms. The ending didn't quite resolve everything neatly in a way that felt realistic, but it was still a really satisfying ending, with the penultimate scene containing both the movies biggest triumph and what was probably the biggest tragedy. Highly recommend this one.

--- Quote from: MamboGator on June 28, 2022 @974.75 ---I finally saw Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. I really liked it, but it's definitely got a lot of Sam Raimi-isms that a lot of people seem to dislike. I thought the silliness and comic-bookiness really added to it though.

--- End quote ---
I saw Multiverse of Madness recently too. I thought the plot as a whole was just kinda alright, nothing especially interesting to me, but I liked that it more-or-less took itself seriously (my biggest issue with most of the MCU), and the visual style was amazing thanks to Sam Raimi. I think I'll always prefer comic book movies that embrace being comic book movies rather than ones that feel embarrassed of their roots. Also, the music fight scene was the best part of that movie, and probably my favorite fight scene in any Marvel movie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version