World Wild Web > ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

HTML Journal and the Neon Kiosk (Easy RSS feeds for site news)

(1/3) > >>

m15o:
Hello hello dear forum friends!

Recently, I've been developing a little format to write journals in HTML. Here is what the format looks like:

--- Code: ---<h1>My journal</h1>

<article>
 <h2>2022-06-21</h2>
 <p>Welcome to my journal!</p>
</article>

--- End code ---

If your page has the above elements, it will be recognized as an HTML Journal. HTML Journals can be automatically converted to a web feed (Atom), so anyone subscribe to it and be notified when you update it.

And so where can you read all the journals, you ask? It's on the Neon Kiosk: an HTML Journal aggregator. If you publish an HTML Journal, you can send it over to the Neon Kiosk and updates will appear there.

I hope this helps lower the barriers to publish a feed for our updates. Hope you like it!

Melooon:
Out of curiosity is this a clone of the RSS system on my site, because its exactly how mine works, and its (almost) exactly the article structure I use :happy: Or maybe we just think alike?

Either way, this is a really cool project! One request though.. I think my homepage would prob confuse it, can you add the option to make Neon look for content within a specified id as the article area?

For example: view-source:https://melonking.net/home.html (line 433) has all articles in <div id="newsblock"> so being able to ask Neon to only look in "newsblock" would remove almost all issues. (Also I'm know Id need to switch my <div class="article"> to <article> but thats an easy fix!) Also I assume it supports multiple <p>'s per article?? Oh and what happens if I have other things in there like images? It would be cool if it created a link like "IMAGE - Click here to view"

Oh rrrr this is such a cool idea why didn't I think of it! :dl:

EDIT: Also how did you solve the issue of generating consistent unique IDs for atom? I ended up manually numbering all of mine because there was no way to count them once old ones were removed from my homepage.

m15o:
I always love your site(s) and ideas! I'm really inspired by them and what I see on sites of people from this forum too. I was writing my journal and maintaining a feed.atom file that I was updating manually. And while it's cool, I'd rather write the journal entry once than on 2 different places. :omg:k:

--- Quote ---Either way, this is a really cool project!
--- End quote ---
Thank youu <3

--- Quote ---I think my homepage would prob confuse it, can you add the option to make Neon look for content within a specified id as the article area?
--- End quote ---

That's a good point! You'd like to make sure other parts of the page that aren't journal entries won't be mistakenly treated as such? If so, I think your page would be fine: HTML Journal looks for every <article> with an <h1> that starts with an iso 8601 formatted date as its 10 first characters. If the article doesn't have such an h1, it's discarded. I've created a validator to help making sure the page follows the right format and is read correctly.

--- Quote ---Also I assume it supports multiple <p>'s per article?? Oh and what happens if I have other things in there like images? It would be cool if it created a link like "IMAGE - Click here to view"
--- End quote ---

At the moment, it just shows everything that's in the <article>, including images, any HTML tags, also <script>, which I should probably forbid! :drat:

--- Quote ---EDIT: Also how did you solve the issue of generating consistent unique IDs for atom? I ended up manually numbering all of mine because there was no way to count them once old ones were removed from my homepage.
--- End quote ---

Oh yes, that was definitely challenging. I've written this spec that describes how to go from an HTML Journal to an Atom feed. Here's the part on ID generation:

--- Quote ---An entry's required "id" element is equal to the concatenation of the feed's "id", a # character, and the entry's title (e.g. feed_id#title). Any space character should be converted to "-".
--- End quote ---

Melooon:
I updated my site to meet the spec, but the validator says that no artcile are found :sad: https://melonking.net/home.html

Also it would be nice if we could use custom date formats somehow, because while ISO is ok.. its not may favourite, I don't find it very human readable because humans don't need to know the year first, we already know what year it is!

m15o:
Ohhh awesome! I think what's missing to validate is the month part of the date to be two characters, e.g. 2022-06-22 vs 2022-6-22. If you change that I can add it to the Kiosk. :smile:

--- Quote ---Also it would be nice if we could use custom date formats somehow, because while ISO is ok.. its not may favourite, I don't find it very human readable because humans don't need to know the year first, we already know what year it is!
--- End quote ---

Dates can be so hard! It's a good point though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version