Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @331.94 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 55/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Tumblr .. .

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Tumblr .. .  (Read 2729 times)
Kolo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: kolo

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2023 @141.76 »

Automattic's CEO actually answered a bunch of Tumblr-related asks on his blog recently in light of this stuff. I thought some of the answers were interesting, especially the breakdown of Tumblr's subscriptions:
"Out of the 11.5M monthly active users of Tumblr, only about 27k have subscribed, or about 0.2%. If that were 10 or 20% we could run the site forever."

I've seen some people say "Tumblr should go open source!" which is frankly... very silly. Open source isn't a magical fix-all button and it won't help the core of this issue, which is that Tumblr is expensive to run and operate, like any supermassive website :(

I don't think moving to a skeleton crew is the end of the world but it can very much be a writing on the wall type of situation, especially because as shevek said I imagine less and less people are willing to stake millions on turning around Tumblr after seeing so many people fail to right the ship. I know not all the changes were liked but to see the lowkey subscription services flop after a lot of people always rally around the idea of them bodes really poorly for anyone looking to pick it up.

A former employee said this in another post:
"27k people subscribed to ad-free means around a million per year. This is after over a year of growth. That's less than one month of purely infrastructure costs, not even having staff wages into account. The badges and rest of the sales are doing significantly less than that."

That's a lot of money for any company to be hemorrhaging every month. Who wants to take on a debt like this for a ship that's proven unprofitable? :(

I don't have much of a horse in this race as I stopped using Tumblr years ago. Like in 2015 or 2016 I think? But it still sucks.

⋆。˚⋆.°˖✧ but even in a box am i dreaming / of a galaxy of stars above my ceiling ✧˖°.⋆ ˚。⋆

icon by dovalore
BlazingCobaltX
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: blazingcobaltx

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2023 @677.20 »

I agree with @creaturefeature - back up your blogs! I HIGHLY recommend this method. Unlike the official method of exporting your blog, this method doesn't take long once it's all set up (tumblr's official method is VERYYYY slow) and also saves image descriptions!

If you're not already versed in python, it takes a while to set up for the first time, but thankfully this doc is VERY thorough in explaining what exactly to do, so even a python-illiterate doofus like myself could manage it.

THANK YOU!! I previously used another method which only saved media so you couldn't view posts as they were, but this does exactly that. Some setup was needed but it's perfect!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (1)

Imgur is about to pull a Tumblr

Started by creaturefeatureBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 19
Views: 1464
Last post January 05, 2024 @596.60
by xero333

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi