Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @368.68 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  hiya :)

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: hiya :)  (Read 1030 times)
« on: July 05, 2022 @910.87 »

Hey everyone! :smile:

My name is Lian, I'm 21 years old and nonbinary, I am from Germany, and I have no idea what this page is except that it's a cool and cozy retro web forum that is really active XD

I'm a linguist and computational linguist in real life (ask me for an infodump hhh), still in university tho. It was my hobby before and I am glad that I could turn it into an education and hopefully a career track!

When it comes to the retro web, I've actually been into it for some time now. :smile: I have a personal website with an attached blog too, but it's more part of the anti-bloat/minimal web than the actual retro internet.
I was raised on forums like this one (actually met my current partner when I was 13 in a Minecraft forum that does not exist any longer, whew) and am glad that forum culture is making a comeback because it's really just much more personal and thought out this way!

My hobbies include
  • Tabletop RPGs (Fate RPG)
  • Linguistics and languages (ask me about my conlangs and obscure Papuan languages :V)
  • GNU/Linux, free software and old technology
  • bunnies!!
  • coffee making

I'm an open book, ask me anything :loved:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023 @610.72 by /home/user/ » Logged
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022 @921.13 »

O nos!! DA LINUX DIRECTORY IS ALIVE!!!

Nice clean website there /home/! It looks really nice, and thanks for that recipe website.

I will now beat Melonking to sending that melon welcome pack.

Ooo-- You've Received Melon's Welcome Pack --ooO

* If you haven't already check out the forum welcome post, and forum usage guide!
* New to website making? Here is a complete(ish) guide!
* Visit your look/layout to pick a theme and set a default colour/font for your messages!
* Feeling shy and unsure what to do? Maybe post a song you like here!
* Finally don't forget to share the forum and invite friends! We have some way cool graphics over here!

Oh yea one question, do you like portal 2?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022 @922.79 by Icelogist » Logged
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022 @931.90 »

Nice clean website there /home/! It looks really nice, and thanks for that recipe website.

Hey thank you for the warm welcome and the compliment :loved:
I have played Portal 2 a long time ago but wasn't really getting anywhere so I quit it. But that was also when I was like 14, so I should probably try it again XD
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022 @944.94 »

Hey thank you for the warm welcome and the compliment :loved:
I have played Portal 2 a long time ago but wasn't really getting anywhere so I quit it. But that was also when I was like 14, so I should probably try it again XD

You're welcome!

You should try portal 2 again. (try watching a gameplay video for hints)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022 @965.53 »

I will now beat Melonking to sending that melon welcome pack.
Oh no I have been beaten at my own game! Dastardly drats!

Anywayyy, welcome to the forum! I see you've already made some great posts, so Im glad your not shy about posting :grin: When I saw you're name first I was like "wow I wonder if that breaks the forum" but it seems to be fine!

Im always super impressed by anyone who can do anything with linguistics because I literally cant learn languages :ohdear:
I also love your site, its super clean and cozy (I think you were working on it because the links were broken, but they work now) :ozwomp:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022 @440.57 »

Anywayyy, welcome to the forum! I see you've already made some great posts, so Im glad your not shy about posting. When I saw you're name first I was like "wow I wonder if that breaks the forum" but it seems to be fine!
I was surprised too! Originally I wanted to go with "noplacelikeroot" but the forum software understandably banned use of the word "root". I was excited when this one worked x)

Im always super impressed by anyone who can do anything with linguistics because I literally cant learn languages
Lemme tell you a secret: most linguists don't actually learn additional languages. :ozwomp:
In the same way that asking a doctor "sooo how many illnesses do you have?" would be silly, it doesn't really make sense to ask linguists how many languages they speak (which we get EVERY TIME loll) because, well, we study languages and how they work, and often not even specific languages but instead how language as a whole works (for example, how the brain can understand and parse spoken words or how communication in a conversation works!)

I struggle with learning languages too even though it SHOULD be easier for me since I know more about how they work internally.

I also love your site, its super clean and cozy (I think you were working on it because the links were broken, but they work now)
Oh I didn't actually change the links in a long while! :O Whatever must have broken them was out of my control.
Thank you for the warm welcome though x3
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi