Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @515.59 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 41/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Can you smell things in your dreams?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can you smell things in your dreams?  (Read 526 times)
crow-queen
Casual Poster ⚓︎

What does this do

iMood: crowqueen

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« on: February 08, 2024 @474.55 »

I discovered recently that it is not very common to be able to smell things in dreams, but I often have dreams where I can smell things. As well as this, I have noticed that dreams generally have a smell, and sometimes when I'm really tired, I can smell the dream smell, which is part of how I recognise how sleepy I am.

I was wondering if anyone else here has had dreams where they have been able to smell things? And if so, what sort of things have you smelled in your dreams?

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024 @587.74 »

I remember that I had dreams where I smelled things and actually even some where I felt pain/sensations (both sometimes tricked me into believing that the dream was reality); however, the level of detail wildly varies for me.

schiavona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Let's get real weird with it!

StatusCafe: schiavona
iMood: schiavona

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024 @660.05 »

I'm honestly a little surprised that being able to smell things in your dreams isn't something that happens more commonly. I don't exactly have a frame of reference for that myself as I've never had a sense of smell and so have never actually smelled anything in my dreams, but I guess it checks out from what I've seen. A couple of communities I'm in share their dreams sometimes and  I don't think any of them have mentioned any kind of smell in the ones they've reported. I'm gonna be thinking about this one for a while.

<>|==================> Oh look I found my cool sword!
wris
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Safe when used as directed.

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024 @669.34 »

I had no idea that was a thing people could do!

Seems like it'd backfire way more often than it'd pay off.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024 @688.34 »

Come to think of it I dont think I ever have  :omg: But its definitely something I'll try to remember in the future.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024 @690.19 »

I don't think I ever have, but I do remember tasting things in my dreams? How odd

CaffeinatedElf
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Lover of caffeine

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024 @878.38 »

I don't recall ever being to smell something in a dream, but I've felt weightless before and it was pretty cool
itspencilz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024 @59.20 »

I can recall feeling things and tasting things in my dreams but never smelling things.

Experiencing senses you aren't actually experiencing is... a weird experience!

Vroom vroom
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024 @64.92 »

Experiencing senses you aren't actually experiencing is... a weird experience
I always find this amusing; sometimes you'll have dreams where a situation occurs that you have no realistic experience or context for, so your brain just makes something up. I remember having a flying dream and my brain was like "Hmmm what should flying in the upper stratosphere feel like, I know, it will feel like standing outside on a summer's day with a mild breeze".

It's quite interesting since it suggests that if you put people in situations that they truly have no context for, you can essentially give them any sensory or emotional input and they will accept it! That almost certainly applies to games and websites too.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
crow-queen
Casual Poster ⚓︎

What does this do

iMood: crowqueen

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024 @987.09 »

Seems like it'd backfire way more often than it'd pay off.

I would say that usually when I smell something that should smell bad in a dream, it smells nowhere near as bad as it would smell in real life, it is like a dream approximation of something that smells bad. The same with taste. However, I do occasionally feel pain in my dreams, and generally that feels just as bad as in real life.

grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024 @834.55 »

I dont always smell everything in dreams, but in some where the point is about a smell, then yeah.

Like, I had a dream about a random room in the basement that I had forgotten about, and it had a very distinct smell that I remembered when I woke up.

Or if I dream about something random like I got a new perfume and I'm like "it smells of pancakes" and then I'll be smelling it in my dreams.

But most dreams are thankfully odourless, lol

Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024 @58.30 »

I can definitely smell things in my dreams... one smell I tend to find occurs a lot (and it's really strong and unpleasant) is a sort of gasleak smell which always makes me feel dizzy in the dream and faint.

I can also smell food and taste it etc.

Then again I've read you can't read in your dreams or look at your cell phone and I can do both of those. Infact a lot of my dreams are of me reading something bad about me online ha or talking to someone in text chat and stuff.

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024 @64.14 »

Feeling things in a dream is one thing but SMELLING THEM?!?!??!?!?

That would be a very interesting experience to have, I did not know that was possible! :O

:ozwomp: my beloved

Misanthropic Monster™
Full Member ⚓︎

He/Him/They/Them

iMood: Misanthropic

View Profile WWW

bugpostingJoined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024 @703.10 »

It's definitely not something I always notice or I'd say happens a lot, but I definitely have dreams where scents and smells are present! It's really weird to consider that your brain can simulate so much when you're dreaming - sensations, pain, tastes, visions, sounds.... makes you wonder if anything is actually real or if we're not all just biological meat with all these 'dreams' powering us as we just exist in space.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Things you've overheard?

Started by DoctorScreechBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 10
Views: 1785
Last post March 19, 2024 @764.99
by starbreaker
Tiny things, a topic for tiny things

Started by MelooonBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 18
Views: 3625
Last post August 23, 2023 @886.10
by 4ivilo
Weird/peculiar things you do when drawing

Started by DarmodejBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 15
Views: 2383
Last post September 09, 2023 @764.76
by bingus_baby

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi