Interests Zone > ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

GNU / Linux / Free Software

<< < (2/4) > >>

Guest:

--- Quote from: Ulla on July 28, 2022 @485.53 ---
--- Quote from: /home/user/ on July 28, 2022 @466.31 ---... but you literally just click play in your Steam library to run something using Proton? It's exactly the same amount of hassle as on Windows. And even the one manual fix that you need for some games (use ProtonGE instead of standard Proton) is downloading one file and dragging it into a directory, forever. You don't have to fiddle around with Wine yourself at all, Steam does everything out of the box you need.

--- End quote ---

I forgot Proton even existed! Thank you for the reminder.

--- End quote ---

Oh don't worry about it!
And if you don't want to waste your time trying to get something to work, just put in the name of the game in protondb.com first and see if it runs. :grin:

CyberCat2000:
My Linux usage has been very on-off. Back in my college days, I used Manjaro on an old Core 2 Toshiba Satellite, and it proved to be quite useful for computer science and programming! (I admit, I'm still kind of used to GCC...) After that, I mostly stuck with putting Linux on my secondary computers for fun. Now that I got a new laptop recently (a Galaxy Book Pro), I might consider going to a dual-boot setup for that! As of now, though, I'm debating if I should put both Windows and Linux on one disk, or if I should buy a second SSD for Linux.

Anyways, my top two choices are Garuda Linux (which is Arch-based) and GeckoLinux Rolling (which is OpenSUSE-based). I'm kind of leaning towards the former due to the fact that the latter hasn't gotten a new ISO in ages. Though now I'm hearing rumblings that OpenMandriva's rolling release (now christened "ROME":wink: might actually be getting somewhere, so I might go for that!

Guest:
My first dive into Linux was in 2013 or 2014 (I don't know exactly what year this was) I had an old Dell laptop with no disk drive which meant no OS, and the only way I was able to get a functioning OS was with the live preview in Ubuntu.

It wasn't until I accidentally killed the laptop when I split water on it, so my dad bought me a brand new laptop of the same model but now with a hard disk and Windows installed.

Guest:

--- Quote from: Icelogist on August 18, 2022 @376.16 ---My first dive into Linux was in 2013 or 2014 (I don't know exactly what year this was) I had an old Dell laptop with no disk drive which meant no OS, and the only way I was able to get a functioning OS was with the live preview in Ubuntu.

It wasn't until I accidentally killed the laptop when I split water on it

--- End quote ---

This was the exact same fate as my first Ubuntu laptop. I loved that Toshiba Satellite like a brother.

I bought the original Microsoft Surface afterwards and tried installing Ubuntu on it because I thought the Unity desktop would be perfect on a tablet, but I could never get the wifi drivers to work. So that's when I went back to Windows, but I've been a Surface fan ever since.

Guest:
Switched to Artix a couple of days ago and it's great. Xfce is still my favorite desktop environment, I even turned on system sounds for the clickies and the beeps. :4u:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version