Art & Games > ♖ ∙ Video Games

Old Games + New Technology = <3

<< < (3/3)

TheFrugalGamer:

--- Quote from: Cobra! on August 11, 2022 @952.45 ---I'm personally a bit purist when it comes to this, and a bit passionate. I feel like you're not getting the full experience if you emulate or using a modded console.

It's like how they say VHS tapes are best viewed on a 4:3 CRT TV. It's not just a nostalgia thing (Though that does play a role), tapes were made to be viewed on those TVs.

It's a lot like how older games were made to be 4:3, and 360i, or on a cartridge/disc.

I also feel like having everything there on a menu instead of needing to pull out a physical game dilutes the sentimental value, and makes them feel more disposable. I can imagine I'd get choice paralysis from that.

That said, I can totally understand those who go down the emulation route in a practical sense, as original hardware and games are getting more and more expensive. I also emulate if I can't use a physical game/hardware.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I feel that there's nothing quite like the feeling of taking the disc/cart out and looking at the cover art, turning on the console, and having it all right there. It's both nostalgic and more "concrete," if that makes sense. I don't play my game collection as much as I probably should, but sometimes I just really enjoy going through and looking at it and holding the games in my hands.

But that said, I think as long as you're having fun, there's no wrong way to enjoy a game! There are a few games that I'll never really be willing to shell out the money for, or games that weren't ever translated into English, or just are too rare and don't show up often in the secondary market enough. I'm super grateful for emulation when it comes to those titles, or for those who just can't afford the physical media, or don't have space for it.

Zusk:
For me, being able to treat my Steam Deck as a "Gamecube Portable" is what I have wanted out of gaming for the last 20 years. I remember when the Gamecube Portable was just a hoax, now I essentially have it in my hands! Its wild. :ozwomp:

Guest:

--- Quote from: Zusk on August 29, 2022 @911.97 ---For me, being able to treat my Steam Deck as a "Gamecube Portable" is what I have wanted out of gaming for the last 20 years. I remember when the Gamecube Portable was just a hoax, now I essentially have it in my hands! Its wild. :ozwomp:

--- End quote ---

In the same way, a modded PS Vita with Retroarch for all retro consoles. ;P

Guest:

--- Quote from: Zusk on August 29, 2022 @911.97 ---For me, being able to treat my Steam Deck as a "Gamecube Portable" is what I have wanted out of gaming for the last 20 years. I remember when the Gamecube Portable was just a hoax, now I essentially have it in my hands! Its wild. :ozwomp:

--- End quote ---

Are you using RetroArch or something similar? I only have a little bit of experience with modding systems to play classic games, so I don't know if I'd be willing to risk such an expensive device, but being able to take my GameCube library with me anywhere would be awesome.

I mostly use my PS Vita as a portable PSOne, but pretty much every game I wanted was available legitimately through the store so I had no need to mod it.

Zusk:

--- Quote from: MamboGator on August 30, 2022 @964.48 ---

--- End quote ---

Are you using RetroArch or something similar? I only have a little bit of experience with modding systems to play classic games, so I don't know if I'd be willing to risk such an expensive device, but being able to take my GameCube library with me anywhere would be awesome.

I mostly use my PS Vita as a portable PSOne, but pretty much every game I wanted was available legitimately through the store so I had no need to mod it.

--- End quote ---

Using EmuDeck, which is pretty close to RetroArch! For me it made sense finanically since I really needed a computer upgrade for games, but didn't really want to put out like 1200 needed for a reasonable PC... :pc:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version