Art & Games > ♖ ∙ Video Games

Old Games + New Technology = <3

<< < (2/3) > >>

Version:
One pretty funny part of playing old games on new displays is that it sometimes makes them look worst. Here's an example. Old games were meant for blurry CRT screens, and developers took advantage of that effect. A lot of old graphics have pixelated corners that were obscured by CRT blurring. It's nothing super detrimental, but still interesting.

Guest:

--- Quote from: Version on August 08, 2022 @810.06 ---One pretty funny part of playing old games on new displays is that it sometimes makes them look worst. Here's an example. Old games were meant for blurry CRT screens, and developers took advantage of that effect. A lot of old graphics have pixelated corners that were obscured by CRT blurring. It's nothing super detrimental, but still interesting.

--- End quote ---
I enjoy that Twitter account :smile:

It's also interesting how games like Sonic 2 used the scan lines of old TVs to achieve a parallax scrolling effect, and some game boy games would simulate transparency by flickering at half the screen's refresh rate.

tarocchilla:

--- Quote from: Version on August 08, 2022 @810.06 ---One pretty funny part of playing old games on new displays is that it sometimes makes them look worst. Here's an example. Old games were meant for blurry CRT screens, and developers took advantage of that effect. A lot of old graphics have pixelated corners that were obscured by CRT blurring. It's nothing super detrimental, but still interesting.

--- End quote ---

I wonder if there is a way to apply a crt screen filter to your laptop while you play, it would be pretty cool!

TheFrugalGamer:
Most good emulators have scan line effects that you can toggle on and off. I've got the retroarch emulator on my phone and I've used them there. They look really great! I dunno about pc originals though. They were originally played on crt monitors but I haven't seen many filters for them.

Cobra!:
I'm personally a bit purist when it comes to this, and a bit passionate. I feel like you're not getting the full experience if you emulate or using a modded console.

It's like how they say VHS tapes are best viewed on a 4:3 CRT TV. It's not just a nostalgia thing (Though that does play a role), tapes were made to be viewed on those TVs.

It's a lot like how older games were made to be 4:3, and 360i, or on a cartridge/disc.

I also feel like having everything there on a menu instead of needing to pull out a physical game dilutes the sentimental value, and makes them feel more disposable. I can imagine I'd get choice paralysis from that.

That said, I can totally understand those who go down the emulation route in a practical sense, as original hardware and games are getting more and more expensive. I also emulate if I can't use a physical game/hardware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version