Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @491.92 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 41/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Tex Murphy

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tex Murphy  (Read 269 times)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: January 21, 2024 @988.01 »

Do you people know the Tex Murphy games? We played "Under a killing Moon" a few years ago, and found it hilarious. Now, we do "The Pandora Directive"; at the beginning I thought it wasn't as good as killing Moon, but either did I get back into mood or it get some more drive - its wonderful.

The Tex Murphy games have a genuine charm, and a quite good, pulpy humor that is in its own way quite refined :). Controls and difficulty might be a bit hard to get into nowadays, both are a bit dusty - but the writing makes more than up for this.

The story is cyberpunkish, ironic, a bit black humored, but - imho - not cynical. People who enjoy this board might like it.

xXWebMasterXx_Gina
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I wonder whats for DINNER

View Profile WWW

Tin WhistleJoined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024 @68.44 »

Tex Murphy... Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while! I think as a whole, the Tex Murphy series is something special as it's a weird mix of camp, cyberpunk and noir. Plus it has all the trademarks of any other FMV point and click adventure game of the era! It's the kind of thing you look back and smile on.

Though I will admit, the earlier titles can be off-putting just because of how difficult and unforgiving they can be. And that's not even accounting for how many of the games have a lot of trouble running on modern hardware :/

I'm in the same boat and kind of fell off from the series before really finishing most of them. But this thread might be the wake up call I need to give them another shot sometime soon!  :ozwomp:

I also just want to say that I think it's so heartwarming that the series had a new release back in 2014 to clear up that cliffhanger back in 1998. Something like that is a real rarity  :loved:
formadscience
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024 @182.50 »

Though I will admit, the earlier titles can be off-putting just because of how difficult and unforgiving they can be. And that's not even accounting for how many of the games have a lot of trouble running on modern hardware :/

I was able to play the first game on the Internet Archive! Though admittedly I did rely pretty heavily on walkthroughs, lmao. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have full versions of the other games.
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024 @934.98 »

Just had another session :). Yeah, the mixture of genres is really unique! We started of with "Under a killing moon", but maybe we'll do the early titles someday; Pandora Directive also gives us a quite hard time atm, but it's totally worth to keep onto it :D.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

My textbook is a bit out of date...

Started by diBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 6
Views: 1569
Last post August 29, 2023 @867.22
by SilkSkull
Collecting 90s Texture CD Links

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 7216
Last post October 18, 2023 @880.69
by WynnDawnstrider
Earthbound Text Generator

Started by ObspogonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 7
Views: 3845
Last post March 04, 2023 @848.91
by sig

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi