Interests Zone > ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

What kind of phone do you have?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Guest:

--- Quote from: Frost Sheridan on August 29, 2022 @579.64 ---my main phone is a unihertz titan pocket, probably the last phone still being made with a real qwerty keyboard. it looks like a blackberry, but it actually runs android 11.

--- End quote ---

I considered the Titan when I was still shopping around, but wasn't sure about the quality since I had never heard of the brand before. If you've ever used a Blackberry, how would you say it stacks up?

--- Quote from: Melooon on August 29, 2022 @613.70 ---If I called people more instead of messaging I would totally get this thing though :cheesy:

--- End quote ---

That thing looks amazing! But I almost never call anyone as well so it'd just be another shiny toy that I never use. :notgood:

Frost Sheridan:

--- Quote from: MamboGator on August 29, 2022 @702.59 ---I considered the Titan when I was still shopping around, but wasn't sure about the quality since I had never heard of the brand before. If you've ever used a Blackberry, how would you say it stacks up?

--- End quote ---

man it's been a real long time since i've last used a blackberry so my memory's pretty fuzzy, but i'd have to say that the hardware and build quality of the titan is just as good, if not better than, comparable blackberries. the whole phone is made out of aluminum and rubberized plastic so it's super stronk and has a nice heft to it. the keyboard is clicky and tactile, and the shape of the keys makes it easy to feel the difference between them, so it's a much more accurate typing experience than on a touchscreen. however, the keys are STIFF when brand-new, so typing long messages can be fatiguing until the keyboard 'breaks in' after extended use.

the big downside of the phone is that the quality of unihertz's software and OS modifications is pretty poor - you can tell that it's made by a small manufacturer that doesn't have the experience or resources of a bigger player like samsung or apple (or blackberry used to be). i've never had anything outright crash or fail to work, but setting up any of the custom features on this phone can be a pretty janky experience. however, once i put in the effort to set everything up the way i like it, it's perfectly competent. in my opinion, the beautiful hardware and physical keyboard outweigh the janky software, but your mileage may vary.

if you're like me and primarily use your phone for texting and instant messaging, it's a fantastic device! however, if you do a lot of web browsing, video watching, and/or social media on your phone, this phone won't give you the best experience because most apps and websites expect you to have a big, tall screen instead of a small, square one.

Guest:
I currently have a wonderful lil' Nokia 6500 slide, alongside my aging OnePlus 6.
Originally, I got this little Nokia phone out of an old drawer at my parents' house, and it belongs to my late grandmother.

Picture mine:

[Picture description: A silver and black old sliding brick phone with a backlit dial pad. It is turned on, showing a Marijuana-themed green background and various UI elements on top: some quick access icons including messages, music, contacts among others, as well as statuses for the music player and a radio.]

If you're wondering what that terrible cannabis theme is, it's because when I acquired this phone I looked up themes online and they all were wonderfully early-2000s horrible. :grin: It was one that embraced the "cool around Y2K" theme the most.

Guest:

--- Quote from: Frost Sheridan on August 29, 2022 @745.16 ---man it's been a real long time since i've last used a blackberry so my memory's pretty fuzzy, but i'd have to say that the hardware and build quality of the titan is just as good, if not better than, comparable blackberries. the whole phone is made out of aluminum and rubberized plastic so it's super stronk and has a nice heft to it. the keyboard is clicky and tactile, and the shape of the keys makes it easy to feel the difference between them, so it's a much more accurate typing experience than on a touchscreen. however, the keys are STIFF when brand-new, so typing long messages can be fatiguing until the keyboard 'breaks in' after extended use.
--- End quote ---

Blackberry's keyboards would always start to wear out on me after a few years. The keys would lose that "click" and were easier to push accidentally, or would sometimes register twice on a single press. So the stiffer keys on the Titan would probably be a benefit there.

--- Quote ---if you're like me and primarily use your phone for texting and instant messaging, it's a fantastic device! however, if you do a lot of web browsing, video watching, and/or social media on your phone, this phone won't give you the best experience because most apps and websites expect you to have a big, tall screen instead of a small, square one.

--- End quote ---

That's another thing I loved about the KeyOne. It had the full hardware keyboard plus a tall screen with an aspect ratio comparable to other smart phones. It was a bit top heavy while holding it from the bottom to type, but it still worked pretty well. That said, I didn't mind the shorter screen on the Q10 that much either. It wasn't great for video or games, but it was serviceable. However, one of the first things I did when I bought the Duo 2 was set it up in tent mode and start watching The Mandalorian on one of its giant screens. A lot of people who purchased it actually use it more as a tablet than a phone and I can see why.

Cobra!:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip. I've been using Blackberry phones for years because of the physical keyboard, but when they stopped making them, and couldn't get any other brand on contract, I had to use something else.

I settled with the Z Flip because it's a phone that reminds me of the weird and wonderful phones from the 90s and 2000s. Seems to have that same gimmicky energy!

It's uncomfortable to use in long periods of time, but I rarely use my phone anyway, so that's not a big issue. It's generally not practical in the slightest, but that doesn't matter to me. It's just so cool!

--- Quote from: Melooon on August 29, 2022 @613.70 ---
If I called people more instead of messaging I would totally get this thing though :cheesy:

https://skysedge.com/unsmartphones/RUSP/index.html

--- End quote ---

Wow, that is so neat! I've always wanted to use a classic rotary phone, but connect it to my smartphone via bluetooth or something. Surely there's a market for such a thing?

Since it doesn't (yet) exist, is there a way to connect a real rotary phone to my mobile?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version