Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @316.69 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  GNU / Linux / Free Software

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: GNU / Linux / Free Software  (Read 2211 times)
k4jtek
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022 @899.87 »

made my desktop look super cute!

Glad to see a fellow Artix user! I've started using it recently and I feel like it's my favourite distro at this point. Installed a version with preconfigured XCFE desktop and it's like a golden mean for me as I didn't had to set up most of the boring and problematic things but it's still kept simple and clean, doesn't have all the bloat from "user friendly" distros like Mint or Manjaro. What are your feelings about that?
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2022 @568.59 »

Glad to see a fellow Artix user! I've started using it recently and I feel like it's my favourite distro at this point. Installed a version with preconfigured XCFE desktop and it's like a golden mean for me as I didn't had to set up most of the boring and problematic things but it's still kept simple and clean, doesn't have all the bloat from "user friendly" distros like Mint or Manjaro. What are your feelings about that?

I am fine with that! I personally use it like any other Arch, setting it up from scratch, but at this point it's routine for me. Setting up a desktop environment is really, really easy actually; as easy as 'pacman -S lxqt', so I don't know why people always want preconfigured stuff - but I get wanting to have the peace of mind to get a working system right out of the box.

When it comes to the Arch derivates; one of my girlfriends actually was one of the founding members of Manjaro and now actually warns against the project for its many technical and security flaws, like those you can see here:
https://manjarno.snorlax.sh/

I like Mint personally though, it's a great entry point to GNU/Linux as a whole for people who just want to start out. It is what Ubuntu used to be before that went downhill.

Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2022 @939.87 »

I tried Manjaro in the past but it felt more complicated than what I wanted. Now I have Mint on my laptop. And yes I didn't want Ubuntu because I'd already tried that too and I just wasn't vibing with it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Ultimate Freeware List of Excellence

Started by ObspogonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 2184
Last post January 14, 2022 @865.94
by Obspogon
sleepyXTRA - Inside The Mind of The Lo-Fi Artist - released FREE!

Started by ellievoyydBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 0
Views: 1192
Last post January 21, 2022 @429.43
by ellievoyyd
Freeware music goodies!

Started by phodicaeBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 5
Views: 2054
Last post February 13, 2022 @285.71
by easy_breezy

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi