Art & Games > ♖ ∙ Video Games

Unpopular games that you love, and vice versa

<< < (11/11)

MrsMoe:
I hesitate to call it "unpopular" since it still has a dedicated fanbase to this day, but I can't help but love Sonic Adventure. Everyone dunks on it for its cheesiness and clunky outdated gameplay, but it was literally the first video game I ever played. I beat it like six times in a row. That's how much I loved it.

On the other end, I don't care for most games that are clearly designed for you to play online with other people (Genshin Impact, Overwatch, Sea of Thieves, etc). It's not that they're necessarily bad, it's just that they're not to my taste. I'm way more into games you play once but it changes your life forever.

Sofly:
Oh boy

So, first off i'm gonna write something that really isn't in line with this thread, as i didn't grow up with AAA games or consoles, so i can't really talk about that

However, there is a game out there that, while i can't recommend it on it's own, i really want people to take it into account when talking about indie videogames

That game being, and i swear i'm being serious, The Mana World

You're probably scratching your head as to why someone would dedicate more than 3 paragraphs to a game that looks like this, and you'd be right to do so, and i'm sorry

But this game is more than it's looks...well not really, it plays exactly as you'd expect, a really simple combat and essentially a grind fest with repetitive quests and no end goal other than "get better equipment", with some minigames sprinkled throughout, and yet there's something really captivating for me about this game

I feel it really captures the essence of making something that isn't really good, but that still has heart put into it; it's not there in order to make a profit or meet any goal in particular, it's there because someone wanted to make a game, and then they did it

Nowadays it feels like games aren't allowed to be just a piece of art on their own, there's always a trend they have to follow, whether it's something like "micro"-transactions and lootboxes for AAA games or a certain art-style or genre for indie games (lord nows we have a lot of farming sims right now)

Sorry if i rambled for way too long about a topic that way too few people care about, i'm infamous in my friendgroup for doing that often  :drat:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version