Interests Zone > ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

What decade were you born in?

<< < (2/5) > >>

DJoftheCoven:

I've mentioned this before but I was born in 2003. Everybody born in the 90s and earlier thinks I should be a fetus right now lol. I'm 18 years old (turning 19 in december)! Pretty young, sure, but still technically an adult in the United States.

I was one of those kids who got lucky enough (or unlucky depending on how you look at it) to have access to the internet really young. My formative memories of the web were mostly on dress-up game sites and kids roleplay sites like animal jam, petpet park, and at some point pixie hollow. I was also suuuper active on the pokemon website back when it had games and little bits of fun content for the chil'ren. Personal sites only exist in the very back of my memory--stuff that I'd almost forgotten about entirely until I started looking up some names on the wayback machine. It's a sort of surreal experience to see those websites locked up in a perfectly-preserved museum state when I remember, even if a little fuzzily, what it was like to just stumble across them on total accident and spend hours reading through as much content as I could understand.

I really want to give that magical feeling back to the generation after me. The internet they've been forced into is worse in just about every single goddamn way except for loading times.

CyberCat2000:
I was born in the mid 90s! I admit, I MIGHT be one of the first "kids who were too young for the Internet", having first gotten on in 2000 or so. As such, I was able to witness the days of personal websites like you'd see on GeoCities, as well as discover random webpages (and the occasional forum) via the Yahoo directory, as well as playing random Flash games on sites like Shockwave.com, NotDoppler, Neopets, and kids channel websites. I one time even made a very simple webpage via the GeoCities page editor. I kind of miss these days, admittedly, which is why I'm in the retro web revival communities!

Cobra!:
I was born in the 1994. We got our first computer in 2001, with Windows ME. I experience Web 1.0 in most of it's glory. Chatting online on AOL, sending emails. Making websites with GIFs and images everywhere. I loved it!

I'm very happy to see the website aesthetics make a comeback, and the younger generation is carrying the torch!

wodaro:
I was born in 1997, so I wasn't really aware of a lot of early web stuff, but I do remember spending a lot of time on Gaia Online roleplay forums and various flash game sites. I also used to build websites with friends for random clubs we would make. I remember we made one to host my friend's naruto fanfiction on! I got to experience the web before modern social media, and I do miss the sort of adventure and exploration it used to hold and encourage. Places like this forum, the Yesterweb, the broader web revival movement/indieweb are doing a lot of important work to make the internet feel like it's still a space for people, rather than just brands and corporations.

Absentmind:
Born in the 90s, saw a little bit of geocities when I was V young because my uncle had a computer. The 2000s were me playing runescape, going on newgrounds' flash portal and browsing on forums. I always find it odd that something as simple as enjoying a "crappy" flash game or a choppy forum discussing whatever would become a nostalgic delight.

I always wonder what GEN Z or later will be nostalgic about. I guess things like vine and facebook when it eventually dies

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version