Interests Zone > ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Popular genres or franchises that went past you/you never came around to

(1/3) > >>

Guest:
Heya!

(TL:grin:R below)

I noticed that I was one of the only people in my social group who were just not that much into anime. There was no particular reason for it, it just didn't catch on with me; plus the social stigma weighed down on me when I was younger, so I never bothered to try either.

I have since watched two seasons of Overlord, the entirety of Made in Abyss, most of Assassination Classroom, two seasons of Tokyo Ghoul, and started some that I only really got caught on for a few episodes before stopping: Haikyu!!, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and some others.

From those examples (with the exception of Haikyu!!), I inferred that anime was mostly based on gore & horror, absurdist/random loud cartoon humor, tense and heartbreaking scenes, fan service, and impressive action shots; things that I cannot really stand in media much. So, I never got further into anime.

But yesterday I started watching Cowboy Bebop (blind, for the first time), and holy hell, that completely caught me off guard! Atmosphere, art direction, music choice, all absolutely on point, on levels I haven't expected from any anime really. I just figured that I missed a lot by categorically being on the low about anime.

And that gave me the idea for this topic - along with the fact that I never watched Star Wars, Jurassic Park, or any of the big title movies really. :notgood:

TL:grin:R:

So... what are genres or franchises you did not "get into" despite everyone else seemingly being familiar with them; and how come? I specifically don't mean genres or franchises you dislike, but those which you just knew existed without really engaging with them. And if you see that someone else never got into your fandom, well, try convincing them of why it is actually worth seeing! ;P

Kutan:
This isn't a particularly original take, but I haven't been able to get into MCU stuff at all. I think the issue isn't so much that the stuff I saw was bad, just that it was really forgetttable for me. That said, I think there's some Marvel franchises I'd enjoy in isolation-- X-Men is a really cool setting (and I guess the films aren't part of the MCU?), and some day I'd like to read the best arcs of the comic to see if it's something I like. But yeah, MCU and multiverse stuff just hasn't clicked with me.

That said, I think it's possible to eventually "come around" to franchises you don't like. I didn't watch Star Trek in earnest until my late 20s and I really enjoy it now! Initially I thought it was a dumb series for being "science in genre only"-- all the technobabble and sci-fi silliness turned me off. But now I understand that's not the point; the point is more that it's a platform for social commentary, and it wants to challenge our ideas about the doom and gloom we typically predict for the future. You know, showing us that humans are still flawed, but there's ways we can do better. Having a different perspective going back into the series made it way more enjoyable!

tarocchilla:
Oh boy there are a lot! unfortunatley i don't "get into" much stuff, i either love something (or hate it... haha, but if i really hate something i end up hate-watching, so i could say i get into it in some way) or completley forget it exists.

MCU and other superheros stuff of course... it was just... not my jam, a lot of my friends like it so i saw some movies, and they are just.... very forgettable, i didn't even hate them, i just forgot about them when i got up from the couch.

Star Trek, My dad really likes it (he says he's a klingon due to his baldness) and i tried watching it with him, as much as i love the retro sci fi stuff, it just didn't stick with me and i never picked it up again!

LOTR... my brother was really into it, like really really obsessed, so i was exposed to a fair share of LOTR stuff. I had fun playing "elf vs dwarves" battle with him, but i don't really know much about it besides what my brother tells me.

For now only these "big three" come to mind, but i am sure there is more!

Version:
This is kind of a hard question for me because I can usually get into anything, but there is one thing that comes to mind: horror.

It seems to me to be incredibly popular. Half of the itch front page is horror games, and it seems to be very prominent on sites like youtube and twitch.
But I just never really got into it that much. I guess part of it is because I was, well, scared of getting scared but part because I never really saw anything too interesting in the genre. All of these games and movies just seemed to be kinda samey to me. The few I played/watched that seemed cool were also not really all that scary.

Recently tough I played resident evil 1, and I enjoyed it a lot. The game is not spooky but it is tense. It's funny how all the frustrating aspects of the game are what make it so good due to that tension.

I have some horror visual novels in my wishlist, so I might get into that soon.

Guest:

--- Quote from: tarocchilla on September 09, 2022 @646.30 ---My dad really likes it (he says he's a klingon due to his baldness)

--- End quote ---

Klingons'... baldness? :omg:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version