Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @887.43 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  Book spines...

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Do you break the spine of a book or not?
Yes!   -4 (25%)
No!   -6 (37.5%)
I try not to, but it keeps happening!   -6 (37.5%)
Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Book spines...  (Read 507 times)
« on: August 20, 2023 @94.36 »

I'm curious! When reading a paperback book do you tend to break the spine or not? And if possible I'd love to hear your reasons why/why not!  :dive:

Personally, I always break the spine. Sometimes even before opening the first page! I much prefer how much easier it is to read the book when the spine is broken as opposed to all the pages squishing together and refusing to let me see the edge words! I also love the look of a well read book, and broken spines are a sure sign of that!

Though I've always admired people who can keep their book spines in pristine condition... I simply couldn't even if I tried, so if you have any tips then feel free to leave them below LOL.
emeowly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

StatusCafe: emily

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023 @210.50 »

usually yes! books tend to feel so stiff and hard to comfortably hold it open if i dont

BananaBoots
Jr. Member ⚓︎

↑ Soooooo normal about him (lying)

StatusCafe: bananaboots
iMood: bananaboots
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023 @604.81 »

I pretty much always do, I find them harder to read if I don't! My girlfriend on the other hand hates it. She doesn't dog ear pages, doesn't break the spines, all her books are pretty much in perfect condition. I'm annotating my favourite book for her as a gift (The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, if anyone's curious) and she gave me one of her copies (because she has, like, three for some reason? Even though she's never read it??) and, when she did, she specifically said that I was allowed to break the spine and dog ear pages because that's how I read books and she wanted it to feel like one I've read :loved:

Boots (it/he)

sunosin
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023 @611.66 »

I read something once about how to safely "break in" a book and I've been doing that ever since! This isn't the same source ( I don't remember) but here's someone demonstrating it!

It's tamaNOTchi! Click to feed!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Supercade - Book Review!

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1051
Last post March 20, 2022 @85.47
by Kutan
Bookcrossing

Started by GuestBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 9
Views: 1610
Last post March 25, 2023 @343.46
by teatime
Website Recipe Books!

Started by dotmidiBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 2
Views: 570
Last post December 07, 2022 @189.09
by dotmidi

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi