Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @538.28 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 48/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  finding assets for collage?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: finding assets for collage?  (Read 320 times)
rigel
Casual Poster ⚓︎

yah

StatusCafe: rigel
iMood: rirituuu

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: March 07, 2024 @862.03 »

something i've always wanted to dabble in with is (digital) collage - i love the maximalist/mixed media feel they can give, plus i just think it would be a fun medium to experiment with! i actually have done something like this before for an assignment in one of my previous uni classes, however i remember being a little intimidated when it came to finding images/assets. i do not want to unintentionally steal something off from someone's original work for my own pieces, especially if they disapprove of any usage of it

i usually go to tumblr blogs that are solely dedicated to uploading pngs, but i'm curious if there's any other approaches more experienced collage artists go through with (sources for where they get their stuff, if they make their own, etc.) i would love to know! :dive:

~ rigel ! :4u: (she/her)
ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024 @966.89 »

I don't do collages, but for one of the projects that I did solo (without my gfx-friend), I used pictures from Wikimedia Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/
They are legal to use, as long as you release your work under a compatible license.

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024 @642.09 »

I'm going to self-promote and plug one of my own sites here, but I'll also link some others.

I also frequently go through Archive.org for fun, and I'll grab any old book images that I like while I'm there (that's where I got most of the images for my database). Once you've built up a collection it gets a bit easier to sift through and find what you need. Hope that helps!

Scootarooni

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: scootarooni
iMood: scootarooni

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024 @674.06 »

I don't have any cool resources on hand, but ages ago I would make watercolor washes to overlay on my digital art to give it texture. I don't know how helpful that would be for you, but you're welcome to use them nonetheless! Here's the google drive link :ha:

victoriana

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024 @490.65 »

When I was starting out, I referenced Zine Crisis' resources for zines a lot.

For public domain artwork (especially old paintings and illustrations), I use the British Library's Flickr page and artvee. Here's a helpful reddit thread on the subject with more links.

I also browse blogs on Tumblr that curate old art , or create pngs of art and odd objects (my favorite for this is snailspng, I also had a now inactive blog of my own clips ready for collage use.

The Internet Archive is also handy. I sometimes look at old textile catalogs or designs, like the ones by William Morris or Maurice Pillard.

I think Halftone Hospital is also a good resource for any artist, they have textures, brushes, and other stuff for personal and commercial use.

You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves. /Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.

- Mary Oliver, Wild Geese. From Dream Work (1986).
rigel
Casual Poster ⚓︎

yah

StatusCafe: rigel
iMood: rirituuu

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024 @782.56 »

im ngl i lowkey forgot i made this thread until now, but i'm really happy to see the amount of resources given already, thank you all so much!!!  :4u:  :4u: currently compiling a bookmarks folder with all links as we speak hhehe

I don't have any cool resources on hand, but ages ago I would make watercolor washes to overlay on my digital art to give it texture. I don't know how helpful that would be for you, but you're welcome to use them nonetheless! Here's the google drive link :ha:

i think it's really cool that you did these traditionally! sometimes i like to overlay watercolor textures downloaded from the csp assets store but i think it'd be neat to try using washes that have been scanned sometime, thank you for sharing! i'll definitely be saving these

I also browse blogs on Tumblr that curate old art , or create pngs of art and odd objects (my favorite for this is snailspng, I also had a now inactive blog of my own clips ready for collage use.

ik you said your own blog's inactive but i followed anyways just in case. the clippings you already did post on there look super cool, i'd be interested if you ended up deciding to make some sort of itch.io for your stuff so i'll be on the look out for any updates  :dive:

~ rigel ! :4u: (she/her)
slimeteefs
Casual Poster

👻it/he/they🦷

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024 @988.43 »

I like to make my own assets bc I really feel similarly about taking somebody else's work. It takes a while but I try to take pictures and have a folder with a bunch of different things I can collage together or repurpose. I like to use them as textures and things in digital art and edits. Irl though, I've been just using magazines and cutting those up and gluing them together with modge podge and drawing or painting overtop of it and not worrying about it so much, because I have a friend who makes a bunch of really interesting collages and I just wanted to try it too. I think people understand you don't own all the images if they're cutouts like that idk. I've thought of scanning them in and adding digital effects overtop or collaging them even more but maybe that's not fun for u, I like mixing traditional and digital for extra multimedia personally though. I've scanned in sticker sheets and lassoed them out before to get a bunch of little collagey effects to add to digital art bc I feel like stickers are kind of sold AS art supplies so it's fine.

:dunno:
garystu
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024 @395.86 »

yea I know one google images  :cheesy:

collages are derivative art, embrace it and use whatever you want. don't turn yourself into a copyright lawyer, be an artist instead. its awesome to create derivative art. if some bozo artist goes to flame you for using their art as a source work (they always falsely call it stealing), collage is fair use, it's transformative, you're within your rights to flame 'em right back

i mean come on. "I want to make a collage but I dont want to steal" what's even the point. what are you doing here
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024 @478.59 by garystu » Logged

bees
Casual Poster ⚓︎

iMood: lobb

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024 @784.33 »

For public domain artwork (especially old paintings and illustrations), I use the British Library's Flickr page

On this note, I'd also recommend the Internet Archive's flickr. They post images from old books all the time and there's lots of variety. Some other institutions also post stuff from their archives on Flickr.

If you're open to using flickr, it lets you filter images by license when searching so you'll find a wide range of things that way. Some users' albums or pools even focus specifically on posting images for collage purposes.

I know some museums and such will also post images on their own sites and sometimes they're in the public domain.

I'd also look at what the laws are in your jurisdiction. In many places, derivative art that makes enough changes to the original etc. may be protected. Then there's image reproductions, in some places stuff like a high-res photo of an old painting is not copyrighted to the photographer.

(I understand if your concern is less about legality and more about just avoiding online drama, though.)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 247
Views: 21067
Last post April 23, 2024 @951.50
by DiffydaDude
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 5465
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3368
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi