Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @415.97 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Are we suckers for puzzle games?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are we suckers for puzzle games?  (Read 1256 times)
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: April 16, 2022 @897.73 »

So I was looking at Patrick's Parabox on steam and I see how it's rated "Overwhelmingly positive". The same things goes for Portal & Portal 2. But, what makes these puzzle games tick? Are they relaxing? Do our brains like thinking complexly? Is complexly even a word?

:ozwomp: my beloved

Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022 @959.09 »

This is a very interesting question, actually.

Recently I've been playing a lot of Baba Is You, and it also got me thinking as to why I enjoy puzzle games. I think it's not only because I enjoy thinking (which I do), but also because I like to imagine the process of game design while I'm playing a game. Puzzle games are extremely hard to get right, because they can't be obvious... but they still have to be fair and the solution must be logical.

I think that while all people drawn to puzzle games have their own reasons, it all boils down to that "ah-ha!" moment. Most people enjoy a challenge, and puzzle games are just made for those who enjoy thinking in interesting ways.

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022 @124.88 »

I think that while all people drawn to puzzle games have their own reasons, it all boils down to that "ah-ha!" moment. Most people enjoy a challenge, and puzzle games are just made for those who enjoy thinking in interesting ways.

Ah-ha! That explains it.

:ozwomp: my beloved

Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022 @226.32 »

I mentioned I've been playing Mr. Driller in another topic, and it's not a brain teaser puzzle game that deals with logic puzzles like Baba Is You, it's a more Tetris-like actiony puzzle game. The reason it's so addicting is because you can tangibly feel yourself getting better the more you play it, in a way that you kinda don't with other games. In other games, you make a lot of progress through scenario memorization and trial and error, but with these kind of quick-thinking action puzzle games, you get better by training your brain to think differently. You're able to read the board faster and recognize patterns quicker, and think more and more steps ahead. You're starting from scratch with a randomzied play field each time, but you're playing for longer and getting higher scores because your brain's getting more adept at the task.

One thing that's super satsifying about these Tetris kind of games, is when you have a long play session, and feel like you're hitting a wall and you're not getting any better. Then you go to sleep, and the next day you pick it up again... and crush your old score! There's something about just "sleeping on it" that really helps your brain lock the practice you've done, and you can see it in a super tangible way when you see your scores go up. It's all very addicting seeing your progress day by day!

As for "are we suckers"... well, yes, pretty much :tongue: With this particular type of game, we're not really learning anything meaningful or becoming better at a task that has any actual application... but it does feel good anyway!

Karius
Casual Poster

He/they

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022 @477.80 »

As for "are we suckers"... well, yes, pretty much :tongue: With this particular type of game, we're not really learning anything meaningful or becoming better at a task that has any actual application... but it does feel good anyway!

Ah... the dreaded reality is setting in...

You can't even really make traditional let's plays out of puzzle games unless you have a really engaging personality or something, since people tend to get frustrated when they figure out the answer before the let's player.

But, feeling good is also important. So maybe they aren't that useless!

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023 @562.66 »

I think the reason why puzzle games have such a wide appeal is because they can be enjoyed by a wide array of people without prerequisites. My mom doesn't like playing violent games, she does not have a fast reaction time, and she does not feel like getting good in a game over time. But puzzle games can be universally enjoyed and understood without these hurdles. They tease the brain as a challenge, but do not usually require video game specific skillsets or lingo to enjoy them.

Plus, they give you not a lot of reason to criticize them, unless the puzzles or presentation are fundamentally flawed.
A shooter can have plenty of mini mechanics that have to be balanced perfectly, and also can be super frustrating if done wrong. A puzzle game on the other hand is a one-and-done situation where people don't usually micro-analyze the mechanics or get obsessed with it once they've beat the game - if the solution is intuitive but requires thinking, then it's a good puzzle, period.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 244
Views: 20898
Last post April 18, 2024 @791.28
by formadscience
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 5442
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3357
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi