Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @598.69 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  Hello, I just started making a website again, can you please tell me if its good

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hello, I just started making a website again, can you please tell me if its good  (Read 775 times)
JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!BUG!?!Joined 2022!
« on: November 06, 2022 @19.05 »

As the title says im somewhat new to it. I had an old site but I got bored and stopped doing it. I just came back and made this in around a week. https://digital-devil.neocities.org/ If you have the time, please look at it and give me some advice. Thank you for reading this :transport:
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022 @145.29 »

Hii, ooph this is a nice lil design; I like the snowman dude, hes just havin a nice ol day.

Site design I can make a few observations; most are just my opinion though so you should do what you think is best!
  • Its a BIT small; I know your going for that retro mini look, but modern screens ARE bigger and you can make use of that.
  • I cant find any way to get back to the first page when I click a link? You could make your ":grin:igital Devil" logo do that!
  • You can use this to fix your URLs https://forum.melonland.net/index.php?topic=115.0
  • The font is cool, but sometimes on longer bits of text, like your about page, its tad overwhelming; if you used a mix of fonts; maybe something less blocky for paragraphs that would be helpful for people reading!

I like where its going though; its nice to see a site thats not using sadnesses layout generator :omg:k: Obvs you have a few unfinished links to sort out but its WIP. Snooping your code; its good! Maybe double check your <ul>'s and <li>'s (lists), you've got a few errors with those; and I notice you don't use any <h1> or<h2> tags for headers? Overall though its really good for being new to HTML.

I think its a great start and you should be pleased with it :unite:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
PineTree
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022 @159.13 »

I agree with Melooon about the font. It's a good font but I think if you restrict its use to headings and maybe a few small places it would work best. You could find a similar geometric blocky font which is easier to read for paragraph text. I would also recommend trying to improve type contrast for lists and for links - they are all currently using the same style and it all kind of blends together.

In general, the easiest line length to read is between 40-60 characters. Yours are very short, it seems closer to 20 characters or something like that, it feels a bit cramped to me. :eyes:

The snowman looks pretty friendly though, I like it. :cheesy:

Hope that helps. Have fun! :ha:
JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022 @818.10 »

How do I make only headers use that font? It does it for everything. Also there’s no question marks so I don’t use them how do I fix that?
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022 @67.95 »

How do I make only headers use that font? It does it for everything.

Easy! It looks like some of your headers are in h3 tags (on your page2.html); so you just need to do something like this!
Code
body {
 font-family: sans-serif;
}

h1, h2, h3 {
 font-family:"Bit3";
}
(I put san-serif as the body font to make it different but you could pick any; I also made your bit font apply to h1, h2 and h3 tags, so no matter what one you use they will all have the same font)

Also there’s no question marks so I don’t use them how do I fix that?
Im not sure what you mean here? No question marks? You can use question marks on html pages!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022 @69.76 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022 @141.45 »

I mean it looks like times new Roman but only on question marks. Everything else is normal
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022 @172.73 »

Ooohh, it sounds like the font you are using does not have question marks in it; if a font maker does not make a design for a particular letter or symbol, then it will just show up as the default, which is generally Times New Roman :defrag:

PineTree
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022 @451.26 »

You can set back up fonts to use if your first doesn't work. You can read more about it with fallback fonts.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1005
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 58
Views: 5166
Last post February 18, 2024 @998.30
by mittens
I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 1729
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi