Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @534.87 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 36/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  © ∙ Music Room
| | |-+  Bands then and now

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bands then and now  (Read 495 times)
« on: December 03, 2022 @154.00 »

Recently I've been watching live performances of the bands I grew up with back in their prime and comparing them to their recent live performances. It's really interesting seeing how they've aged and changed so I thought I'd share some and encourage you all to do the same.

The one that inspired this topic is Blink 182's performance of "I Miss You" for the Chester Bennington tribute concert a few years ago.

Here they are in 2004 vs 2017:

I can't really say their vocals hold up today, but the song obviously hits a bit heavier now, especially in this context.

The big one for me, though, is Pearl Jam. I don't go to a lot of concerts, but I really hope to be able to see them live someday. Watching videos of them in their heyday, and seeing the way Eddie Vedder somehow manages to effortlessly strain his voice, really is amazing.

Here's their song "Black" in 1992 and again in 2018:

In the more recent video, the vocals are less refined but also sound more natural. The older video almost sounds rehearsed and performative while the newer one is more like a person singing off the cuff and earnestly. I love both, though, and wouldn't be able to choose which I prefer.

As a bit of a bonus, here's an interesting analysis of the MTV Unplugged performance by a vocal coach/opera singer.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022 @156.23 by MamboGator » Logged
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022 @687.42 »

I find there is often this phenomenon with artists (both music and other media) where they kinda hit their peak early in their careers (often the first album) and after that they have said what they needed to say and dont really improve much. Its only the really talented ones that continue to grow and improve; although often the improvements don't get the same kind of mass appeal.. which in itself is interesting! I guess its often just about capturing the mood of a moment.

ANYWAY, its a fun comparison and I do it lots too!

Buffy Sainte-Marie - Soldier Blue (1970 version)

Buffy Sainte-Marie - Soldier Blue (2017 version) 47 years later!

Buffy Sainte-Marie is one of those singers who seems like she's gained more life as she's gotten older (I really hope I can do that!) Her voice has aged, although its shocking how little (I think possibly the early recording tech makes her sound older) - her early version is passionate, but its very serious and not much fun. Whereas the later version is still passionate, but its taking itself less seriously - its cheesier sounding with rock bits stuck in, but somehow that makes it more endearing - it feels less stressed and generally like she's happier with life.

The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You (1964)

The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You (2013) 49 years later!

I love the seekers, they are so ridiculously wholesome (sadly the lead singer passed away this year :sad: ). So I think whats fascinating about these two recordings is that they are basically the same.. I don't think there is any recognisable difference between the two. Of course they are older and are singing a little more slowly and have deeper voices, but in terms of mood, and sound and feeling. Its IDENTICAL! If I wasn't paying attention Im not sure id notice the time gap between these two! there's something sweet about that, but its also kind depressing, life needs change :eyes: Even the hair is the same!!

Ugghh I have more, there are so many folk singers who have had reaaallly long careers, but Ill stop now! (Lookup songs by Bruce Springsteen, Pete Seeger, Dave Van Ronk)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022 @145.19 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Bands without a bad song

Started by GuestBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 5
Views: 454
Last post July 07, 2023 @941.90
by Corrupted Unicorn
A cool avatar site (andypants.net)

Started by SilkSkullBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 17
Views: 1490
Last post April 01, 2023 @105.91
by SilkSkull
Hosting a website on an Android phone

Started by shevekBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 4
Views: 531
Last post August 03, 2023 @703.92
by shevek

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi