Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @489.95 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings
| | | |-+  PixScape: The Pixel Artist Webring and Directory

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PixScape: The Pixel Artist Webring and Directory  (Read 649 times)
PineTree
Casual Poster

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: February 07, 2024 @471.33 »

Hi everyone,

There's a new webring on the block called PixScape. It's a webring and static directory for pixel artists. It's inspired by the exploratory spirit of NetScape. Disclaimer: I am the webring creator just using a different user name!

What the group is about and relevant banners, see the Pixscape Homepage.
To join, see How to Join.

Extra preamble:
Essentially I have had a hard time finding pixel artists by searching the web with web browsers (and on social media), and I saw there wasn't a pixel artist directory. I thought it would be good to have one specifically for pixel artists of all types. The webring has a static directory for people without a personal site because I want this to benefit everyone, whether they have a website or not. The important thing is your artwork, how you host it is secondary.

I put a lot of love into this so please take a look and share.  :transport:
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024 @630.97 »

Love this! I agree it is difficult to find pixel artists that have their own websites, and I love the way you've designed the page! Especially because I have a fondness for Mac OS icons.

I'd love to join when I get back to my PC and am able to upload the buttons. Although on other pages I may need to implement a gif toggler because they're currently all set to autoplay. It's something I've actually been meaning to do for a while, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

PineTree
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024 @16.86 »

Hello TheFrugalGamer,

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm guessing the accessibility requirement will be a barrier for some people but I think it's worth implementing. I will be uploading demos/explanation of an accessible GIF toggler on my personal site this weekend to help show people examples but the bare minimum is having a static preview which is a link to a full size version of the image (not the best option but better than nothing).

If you want to see my Javascript GIF toggler in action, you can check out this page of Cute Gifs. I'll link the demos in this thread when they're available.
Melvian
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024 @259.57 »

This is a really cool concept! I wish I could be part of this but I'm not really a pixel artist currently (I do touch it sometimes but not actively and I have nothing to show).
PineTree
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024 @36.63 »

Thanks Melvian!  :cheesy:
PineTree
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024 @133.23 »

Just wanted to update and say I've uploaded an Accessible Gif Toggle to my site for reference.
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024 @771.82 »

Just wanted to update and say I've uploaded an Accessible Gif Toggle to my site for reference.

Awesome, that's a great resource! I ended up writing my own since I had an idea of how I wanted it to work, and I'm currently in the process of converting my animated pages over to toggled animations. I....did not realize it would be this much work  :ohdear: Currently I've got my Pixel Clubs page left, but I had to go back and create alternative images for each of my little collectibles (thank the gods for Imagemagick!!!), and properly organize things, which I should have done from the very beginning.

But on the other hand I've learned how to batch convert images, which is really useful! I still intend to join, just wanted to finish the changes first. Like I said, I've been meaning to do this for a while!

PineTree
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024 @968.90 »

Happy to help! By the way I updated the Accessible Gif Toggle page with a single gif toggle for cases where there might be a single gif among many static ones that you want to turn on and off again.  :grin:

It means a lot that you would go through the effort to update your site so users have more control over the animations. :blush:
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024 @891.70 »

Happy to help! By the way I updated the Accessible Gif Toggle page with a single gif toggle for cases where there might be a single gif among many static ones that you want to turn on and off again.  :grin:

It means a lot that you would go through the effort to update your site so users have more control over the animations. :blush:

Well, like I said it's something I've meant to do for a while anyways. I've been changing a few other things in various places to improve accessibility in general, now that I've gotten the site into a stable place.

BTW, I sent you an email after filling out the membership form. Sorry it took so long!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Pixel Art - Mini Contest - New message icons!

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 19
Views: 3289
Last post January 24, 2024 @827.36
by slimeteefs
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4870
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
LinxMax Link Directory

Started by easy_breezyBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 3
Views: 1560
Last post March 13, 2022 @178.02
by easy_breezy

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi