Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @439.00 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Favorite Online Game Revival Projects

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Favorite Online Game Revival Projects  (Read 1023 times)
creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: December 01, 2022 @945.81 »

I´m been looking up at online game preservation as a concept.

So far I found some interesting stuff, from Modern Neopets (basically retro neopets), to City of Heroes Homecoming, FreeSO (Sims online) to even the Star Wars Galaxy Restoration project (swgr.org)

It´s nice knowing these games still exist in some form even way after they´ve been offline officially.

Yall have heard of any other interesting preservation projects?

sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022 @9.32 »

I used to keep up with a revival project for a dutch online shooter called QPang, which I played for a bit as a kid and really enjoyed (even had a poster of it) until it shut down. Sadly it seems to have been abandoned since there's been no more updates since 2018 so I think the project is dead.

Nevermind I actually found a working build while writing this post! :ha: I'm checking it out right now, I'm stoked! Here's some actual gameplay of QPang:

It's now playable here: https://qfighter.eu/
I can't really vouch for it since I haven't played it yet but I could report back on my findings later if people are interested.

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022 @449.57 »

Flatout 2, destruction racing game from 2006. Originally, it was relying on GameSpy to work, but their servers were shut down eventually. Fortuneatly, a community patch was released to bypass this. And many people from Eastern Europe still play Flatout 2. A fantastic racer for Windows XP gaming machines and everything newer.
Wobblegong
Casual Poster

I will wobble once more

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022 @900.43 »

there's an Arcanists revival project for anyone who remembers FunOrb (made by the same company that did Runescape)

it seems pretty well done I just find it hard to recreate the feeling of playing it for hours after school
MeowChirp
Casual Poster

iMood: HydraTriangle

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022 @46.05 »

My favorite is currently ToonTown: Corporate Clash. It's a re-imagining rather than just a straight up remake, and I really enjoy all the changes and updates they're giving to the game to give it a modern life.
creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022 @824.94 »

oh yeah ive checked that one out, and also toontown rewrtiten, of course the playerbase there is much smaller in comparison with rewritten.

I think i apreciated they made all clothing options gender neutral so that nice.

There was another i had plans checking out called Shin Megami Tensei Re:Imagine, but they got into trouble with atlus so now that project is dead :sad:

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022 @654.26 »

I enjoy that the first Battlefield, Battlefield 1942, still has an active playerbase. It's one of my favorite shooters.
JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!BUG!?!Joined 2022!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022 @718.60 »

There was another i had plans checking out called Shin Megami Tensei Re:Imagine, but they got into trouble with atlus so now that project is dead :sad:

I’ve heard about that one. I heard there’s another one but idk if it’s as active, and it’s in russia so the war might make it hard to play if now down completely. Hopefully it’s still up as i haven’t played imagine yet.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022 @744.00 »

I enjoy that the first Battlefield, Battlefield 1942, still has an active playerbase. It's one of my favorite shooters.

Ooh BF1942, I remember since 2012 I used to play a lot the Multiplayer Demo version that only contained a single map called Wake Island and used to appear a lot on such software download websites (ahem ahem, Softonic) and it was really fun to see so much action on a moderately small map. Unfortunately due to the closure of GameSpy in 2014 that version was entirely dead and without servers or even an alternate master server patch. Many years ago I wanted to play BF1942 Multiplayer again in the original CD version but I never managed to understand how to connect to a server cuz many of them used to kick me out for incorrect versions or something like that and I ended up stopping playing it entirely due of disinterest and because I don't feel it like I used to. It's a shame, I really miss all that chaos there used to be with so many players on that map and I'm surprised how overnight it became something that many people ended up forgetting about.

creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022 @911.18 »

I’ve heard about that one. I heard there’s another one but idk if it’s as active, and it’s in russia so the war might make it hard to play if now down completely. Hopefully it’s still up as i haven’t played imagine yet.

I played the retail version when it was still around, it had some potential as it had a unique setting compared to other mmos at the time. I only hope with time someone else with pickup the mantle

JackFrost
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!BUG!?!Joined 2022!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022 @150.43 »

Is it like the other megaten games?
creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022 @880.37 »

there a couple of differences, for one its not necessarly turned base, but on the other hand i think its set shortly after the first game maybe? since its set in an apocalyptic future tokyo.

the mechanics were pretty much there, you could recruit demons acording to dialogue, there was the demon fusion.

Some demons could even be ridable like cerebus.

Although the most hilarious one was alice, which consists of her skipping while your character holds her hand

But unlike other mmos there are no classes, your skills would evolve according to how you you use them and you could mix and match.
In terms of artstyle it waspretty much consistent with the style of other megaten games.

By the way here´s a video explaining why the privater server died

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022 @883.94 by creaturefeature » Logged

Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023 @911.84 »

Toontown Rewritten! :ozwomp: I haven't given Corporate Clash a good chance yet, but Rewritten is closer to a "revival" as far as I know, trying to preserve the game to make it playable nowadays and bringing back stuff that was cut out from the original game. Also the only MMO I play.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

MelonEngine - Mini Three.js Game Engine

Started by MelooonBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 1
Views: 1646
Last post February 22, 2022 @261.66
by ellievoyyd
°˖ ✧-:game assets:・゚✧

Started by cinniBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 1
Views: 1812
Last post November 23, 2021 @816.09
by Neonriser
What's your favourite mobile game?

Started by NeonriserBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 35
Views: 4075
Last post March 22, 2024 @293.21
by georgemoody

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi