Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @660.66 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 39/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Strange 'Consoles' like the LeapPad

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Strange 'Consoles' like the LeapPad  (Read 1335 times)
Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2023 @870.61 »

Wow, I don't even remember the name of the ones I owned, but the "toy" side of consoles is a fascinating world :ozwomp:

I remember owning a tamagotchi-like device that was also an agenda, a calendar, a calculator, an alarm, pretty much everything you needed as a young student plus extra goodies like a virtual pet, a fortune teller and such. Also, more "serious" versions of those for grownups (sadly, with no virtual pets :sad:smile: that were like tiny keyboards you could fit in your pocket. I'd love to revisit this kind of tech sometime!

Lately, I'm also fond of "toy" computers and laptops! I don't know where to start looking for this stuff, but I'd love to leaarn more about them and look at pictures of them for aesthetical purposes.

If you're interested in this kind of world, I do know of someone who makes youtube videos about techy toys and 2000's toys in general! He even has one on the LeapPad.

thesolitarygamer
Jr. Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2023 @957.05 »

Dunno how similar this is to the weirdness with the leapfrogs and the pads and such like that, but I tend to enjoy looking into strange bootleg or 'odd' consoles sometimes. Such as this thing here:

The 'Mega-Duck'. A weird portable console (akin to a bootleg gameboy) from hong-kong that uses cartridge games and has audio that makes me want to gouge my ears out from it's... audio quality.

But also who can forget the tiger electronic games?

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023 @743.61 »

@thesolitarygamer, I've never heard of that Mega Duck console before! I watched that entire video, and it's not bad for what it is, really. The sound is a bit shrill, I agree, but it looks like the games are all clones of well-known franchises. I probably would have played a lot with that thing if I had it as a kid. I am curious about the cartridges, though--since it's an off brand, I wonder how easy it was to find new games for it at the time?

thesolitarygamer
Jr. Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023 @865.67 »

@thesolitarygamer, I've never heard of that Mega Duck console before! I watched that entire video, and it's not bad for what it is, really. The sound is a bit shrill, I agree, but it looks like the games are all clones of well-known franchises. I probably would have played a lot with that thing if I had it as a kid. I am curious about the cartridges, though--since it's an off brand, I wonder how easy it was to find new games for it at the time?

Hard to say, honestly. Apparently the list of games on Wikipedia is incomplete, with one game left up in the air about if it actually existed or not. It was released and marketed under different brands around the world as well, with a variant of it called the Cougar Boy being distributed in South America. Also apparently the company that distributed it there, called Cougar USA, didn't actually release the console in it's origin country funnily enough.

Also apparently it had it's own educational computer addon:dunno:

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023 @922.01 »

Oh wow, that is so strange! I wonder when that thing was released? Wikipedia says the cougar boy came out in 1993, so I have to imagine the laptop extension wouldn't have been impressive even by 1995 standards. Also, I love that the mouse just has controller buttons on it and doesn't even function like a real mouse.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4870
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg
Strange New Worlds

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 4
Views: 1016
Last post July 12, 2022 @942.85
by Guest
MelonLand Vivaldi Theme ♡

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 6
Views: 1565
Last post March 05, 2023 @376.64
by doubleincision

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi