Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @702.04 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 41/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  XMPP chats

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: XMPP chats  (Read 1056 times)
« on: January 04, 2023 @7.87 »

Heya!

Remember XMPP? At its heart, it's a protocol to exchange marked-up data over the webz... but it is also the most important interoperable chat protocol out there! XMPP is designed to work with other protocols and to be as versatile as possible so in theory everyone can talk to everyone no matter what program or chat service they used.

So much so that almost all huge chat providers used to run on XMPP as a basis and used to be XMPP compatible! Facebook Messages, MSN, Google Talk, LiveJournal, AOL, and so on. And it's still used in plenty of places like Origin chat, the PlayStation messengers, Skype and more!

That said, XMPP by itself is a great way to chat to people live, somewhat like IRC but with way more features. Since it's still actively developed, it even supports voice and video calls these days!! :ozwomp: And the other great thing is that since it is somewhat old already, a few of the programs that are made for XMPP and some of the community around it also embrace the retro feeling. This, for example, is my current setup using the Pidgin messenger, which is a free and open source chat client that supports all kinds of protocols (even Discord, if you're looking to migrate from the official Discord app to a more friendly and lightweight one!).

"Screenshot of the Pidgin chat client"

(Here's the link to the Pidgin messenger if you want to try for yourself. But you can use any XMPP-compatible chat client!)

A word of warning: I personally like Pidgin for its retro interface, but other clients support way more features of the XMPP protocol like large file uploads, voice and video calls, big images... Check out Gajim or Dino for such clients. They usually tend to have a more modern interface though which I see as a drawback, and can easily compete with Discord.)

If you use XMPP and want to chat every once in a while, or better yet, if you know cool XMPP servers and chatrooms, please please post them here. C: I am a big fan and I want to use XMPP much more in my daily life. I might even host one in the future!

If you want, write me on XMPP or add me on your buddy list: lian@tchncs.de

I just yearn for the days back where I used to sit around in random "teen chatrooms" online. x3
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023 @659.87 by /home/user/ » Logged
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023 @11.66 »

How do I get started with XMPP?

Well, XMPP is a federated thingy, sort of like e-mail, so you will need an account on any XMPP server out there; just like to write e-mail, you need SOME kind of e-mail account, like at google mail, hotmail, protonmail or tutanota.

That means for you it's time to choose an XMPP server that you like! I don't have a list ready (oop), but a cool German tech collective called tchncs.de provides free and very easy XMPP. I also have my account there (that's why my XMPP address is lian@tchncs.de!).

You just go here and register with a name and a password, and you have an XMPP account! Of course, if you find another XMPP server, perhaps if registering on a German website makes you uncomfortable, go ahead and register there. No matter which one you choose you can talk to anyone using XMPP. :smile:

You just need to put your login into your XMPP client like Pidgin or Gajim and you have a workable XMPP chat and can start joining groups and adding people to your buddies, chat with them, and so on! :}

Mind you though that XMPP is a fleeting chat protocol, meaning it does not retain a history, like Discord, Matrix, or Telegram would. And you only get messages when you're online. Just like old chatboxes, so view it as a feature, not something it's missing. :} You chat in your own tempo.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023 @654.17 by /home/user/ » Logged
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023 @37.79 »

Thank you very much for both this guide and your welcoming nature. :transport:

I'd never used this, but was familiar with its existence. Am excited to continue exploring and trying things out.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023 @39.42 »

Thanks for the write-up, I'll definitely check it out! Waaaay too tired right now to get set up but I'll get started and see what's up tomorrow. :pc:

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023 @657.78 »

IMPORTANT

I added some information on clients because I feel it is unfair to only mention Pidgin. Pidgin is great for me but it's also only slowly developed and thus wayy behind in XMPP protocol development, so it doesn't have some huge features XMPP theoretically supports like calls, images, file uploads, and many more things.

If you use another, more recent client like Gajim or Dino, you can use all these features, but it will also look and work more like Discord than a retro chatroom.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023 @660.87 by /home/user/ » Logged
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023 @683.59 »

This is a great guide and I enjoy the colours! - You might wanna move it to the tutorials section though? If you like you're welcome to link to it in the wiki, maybe we could make a guides collection! :ozwomp:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023 @728.24 »

This is a great guide and I enjoy the colours! - You might wanna move it to the tutorials section though? If you like you're welcome to link to it in the wiki, maybe we could make a guides collection! :ozwomp:

I didn't intend it to be a tutorial first and foremost honestly, I just wanted it to be a thread where one could talk about XMPP, share links to chatrooms, servers or their own addresses. I just added a little tutorial so people who were curious knew where to start. :notgood:
virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023 @768.56 »

Hey, I'm a huge fan of XMPP and was actually just about to make this thread myself before discovering it already exists! So, I am just generally proud of myself because i managed to set up my own personal XMPP server complete with functional file sharing and conferences, and I just desperately need more people to talk to on XMPP! If you use XMPP, please send me a message! Please dont use anything besides TLS encryption though since I use pidgin and cheogram interchangeably and i dont want any encryption conflicts lol. Also, feel free to join the "general" channel at conference.virtueisdead.xyz ! Seriously, people gotta see XMPP! I feel like a lot of people on this forum would be sold just from the fact that it works similar to AIM.

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023 @981.71 »

ah, XMPP and IRC, the least appreciated ways of textual communication (at least IRC’s had somewhat of a surge)

I sadly haven’t found much use for it yet, I’m much more of a chatter than a video/voice caller, and I don’t find it as popular or as easy to get into as IRC (feel free to mention some servers of your own btw!)

Client wise (macOS user here), it’s meh, pidgin and gajim need a command line to run (not that I despise the command line, it’s just a slight annoyance, especially if I plan to visit regularly  :tnt:). there are only two that I feel were designed with the Mac in mind (and that are also available on iOS), which are Monal and BeagleIM, wish iChat or even Adium were still getting support but no dice.

I have no idea what I’m doing.
nemmoue
Casual Poster ⚓︎

yeehaw

Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023 @53.41 »

i love xmpp!  i want more friends who use xmpp since it's the only TMS i use these days. 
anyone is free to message me naime@hookipa.net  :loved:

P.S.: my reccomended client is psi, specifically psi+ which is really cute  :happy:
GraphiteCore
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Sleepiest thing alive

iMood: GrahpiteCore

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2023 @131.47 »

i love this so much! i've only ever heard of irc before, and this alternative is making me excited to try out these services again.
i only ever use discord for servers as an alternative to art groups/forums, does this work for connecting to servers too?  ヽ(°〇°)ノ

i'll have to consider having an xmpp address for contact, could be useful!! ( ̄ω ̄)

if anyone has any group recommendations send them \(★ω★)/

EDIT: I'm checking it out but I'm having a hard time deciding what server to use, what do people usually look for?
also i did check out if it works for me with discord, and since i cant see previous messages i cant really follow up on conversations that way. and if the servers has too many channels and sub channels... well you can probably imagine its a cluttered mess lol. so for now i wont use it for discord, but i do want to have it as a personal contact medium
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023 @934.48 by GraphiteCore » Logged

Pencil/Graph | they/them | ok with gendered words
Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024 @247.57 »

How do I get started with XMPP?
You chat in your own tempo.

I love this. I love when social media/chat/web lets you move at your own speed. I think Web 3.0 is just too fast for me.
Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024 @250.22 »

You just need to put your login into your XMPP client like Pidgin

Hi! I'm struggling a bit with this and would love some help!

I downloaded Pidgin and made an XMPP account on tchncs.de.

It's asking me for

Protocol:
Username:
Domain:
Resource:
Password:
Local alias:

but I'm not sure what I put in each one? Thanks!
xero333

StatusCafe: xero333
iMood: xero333

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024 @586.81 »

i love xmpp!  i want more friends who use xmpp since it's the only TMS i use these days. 
anyone is free to message me naime@hookipa.net  :loved:

P.S.: my reccomended client is psi, specifically psi+ which is really cute  :happy:

Added!

:pc: Bring back the old web! :pc:
virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024 @908.23 »

Hi! I'm struggling a bit with this and would love some help!

I downloaded Pidgin and made an XMPP account on tchncs.de.

It's asking me for

Protocol:
Username:
Domain:
Resource:
Password:
Local alias:

but I'm not sure what I put in each one? Thanks!

Select the protocol as XMPP, set the username as your username, set the domain as tchncs.de and the password as your password. The local alias is just what your account is called on pidgin for you only. You can usually ignore "resource" unless the service you signed up for explicitly tells you to do something with it.

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (2)

XMPP Users - Share your usernames!

Started by xero333Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 9
Views: 361
Last post January 13, 2024 @967.86
by georgemoody
Quite enjoying IRC chats!

Started by OneMillionFurriesBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 10
Views: 600
Last post January 23, 2024 @123.47
by Capybara

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi