Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 30, 2024 - @79.73 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Star Posts: 12/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Please share your 88x31 badge making tips!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Please share your 88x31 badge making tips!  (Read 595 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Always My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« on: December 06, 2022 @834.64 »

Im gonna be working a wiki page about making 88x31 badges sooooon! If anyone would like to share tips, or write your own mini guides that would be helpful!
What program do you use; how do you plan your design, how long do you spend on it; what steps do you take when making your badge; or did someone make your badge for you, and if so, how did you find them and ask them?

:unite:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022 @844.79 »

I made & edited the badge for my personal site in Aseprite, a program used for pixel art which is easy to work with since the resolution is only 88 x 31. I was able to pretty seamlessly scale down my Big Logo to the required size for the badge, and using the animation tool I just moved the logo down a pixel frame by frame until I got this loop:

I also made a static version in case people want to link to me but prefer a static image for whatever reason, so I recommend considering that as well!

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
LittleGr33nIMP
Casual Poster ⚓︎

"Yay for me, Luigi!" -Luigi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022 @113.51 »

EDIT: Added a screenshot of the storyboard.

I used aseprite for mine. An older version when it was still GNU. (I think that's the right one?) :ohdear:

Preparing:

I started by making a very simple storyboard of what I wanted in paint tool sai, I already had an idea so it was an easy and quick process. Used only a single colour, and 1-3 layers. Those layers were for the storyboard itself, lighting, and notes of the direction. (animation, movement, fade to black etc.)

Working on the button/badge itself:

Started with making the background (easiest part), then I picked out colours for the imp. I colour-picked from pokemon black and white sprites since I liked how they looked.

I finally start animating the imp itself. :evil:

Something that helped was understanding timing and easing for animation, making the simple action of the imp moving up more interesting by using less frames on certain actions. The hardest part with animating the imp was the blink, I still think I could've pulled it off better. But to be fair it was my first time.

What actually took the longest when working on the button was actually the fade to black loop! It was a super tedious process and idk if there was any way to make it faster. What I did was slowly changing the opacity of a layer of black each frame. It took forever!

TLDR: Check if there's a better way to do a fade to black than whatever the hell I did. :drat:

I think I took around 28 days or less on it. But I don't remember that well and this is just based off the timestamps of what I shared on discord.
For the sake of flexing (jk) the final animation has 79 frames of animation. I also plan on making a non-moving button but that isn't a main priority right now.

Here's the button for anyone's curious!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2022 @121.33 by LittleGr33nIMP » Logged

Oh look it's some turtles with my butto-HEY WAIT GET BACK HERE!

🐢🐢 🐢🐢

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Oo Animal Crossing Towns oO - Share your town!

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 8
Views: 2043
Last post November 07, 2023 @41.97
by soapfriendo
++ Forum Badges and Graphics ++

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 7
Views: 3782
Last post April 15, 2023 @779.31
by shevek
What web badges should I add to my collection?

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 4
Views: 1720
Last post January 06, 2022 @398.72
by xandra

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi