Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @515.21 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 37/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  How do you go about making a blog on neocities?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do you go about making a blog on neocities?  (Read 653 times)
expmachine
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: December 21, 2022 @971.06 »

Posted this on website making category before i suddenly realized I think it actually goes here.

I see people have diaries/blogs/journals/whatever you want to call it on their neocities sites and have been wondering how they go about making one. Those with blogs on your websites, do you write your entries directly into the code of the page, or write it on a words doc before posting it to the code? Do you connect it to dreamwidth as an rss feed?

Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022 @979.76 »

As of now I currently use Zonelets, which is a easy to implement HTML blogging engine, I "recommend" it for people who are starting out with website making and what to mess around with HTML. For people with more advanced sites however, will be a little limited.

My biggest complaint about Zonelets however is that it's really repetitive to use, let's say that you want to make a post, if you are doing this on neocities you have to make a HTML file, copy and paste code from the example file, make your post, then go back to the big js file, add the HTML file's location to a list of other HTML file locations and then wait a while because Neocities is pretty slow when it comes to updating JS scripts.

There exists a non-JS alternative called john-doe.neocities.org but it's more of a "multiple pages in one HTML file" project than a half baked Blogging engine.

More info about Zonelets can be found on Zonelets.net.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022 @347.95 by Icelogist » Logged

:ozwomp: my beloved

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022 @77.49 »

Zonelets is the best hosted-on-neocities option like Ice said ^^

I used to just write my own HTML files for each entry.. but that was a major drag - so now my blog is hosted on a different site (Its a self hosted blog made with Textpattern which is like Wordpress) and its embedded into my neocities site using an frame. A super simple external host is https://smol.pub

That said, if its a very simple diary, then using a single html file and adding a new section is fine! You only need complex blog software if you plan to do big blog posts.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
expmachine
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022 @358.45 »

Thank you both! I'll check those out, especially zonelets. :omg:k:

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023 @508.43 »

I think the option with writing straight HTML has merit though and doesn't deserve its reputation. If you use an external style sheet, all it really entails is writing your entry with a bunch of simple tags around it, if you want in a template you can make yourself in ten minutes.

Then just add the link to the blog index and there you go. It's not really a hassle.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1003
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
I am new to making sites and I want some tips to improve.

Started by Icey!Board ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 4
Views: 1728
Last post December 14, 2021 @853.48
by Icey!
What do you blog about?

Started by NightdriftBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 32
Views: 4613
Last post December 17, 2023 @923.04
by thesolitarygamer

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi