Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @786.75 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 45/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Switching from Gmail to Proton

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Switching from Gmail to Proton  (Read 350 times)
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: December 10, 2023 @829.19 »

I've been working on getting all my data on Google backed up and switching all my accounts to Proton, and so far its been pretty good. I got all my passwords backed up and most of my accounts switched too, I have all my google info backed up on an SSD, and ive been reducing the google services i use to next-to-none, and im going to be getting rid of chrome soon  :happy: yayyyy
unfortunately theres a couple problems. Theres some accounts i use that are pretty necessary, like the account my Xbox uses, and im worried that, if i add my proton account, ill ruin the privacy stuff ive already setup and expose my privacy. theres also my discord account, which i have many good friends on, but i wanna stop using discord, and i dont want to switch my email on that account because ublock says its verification link is tagged in a blocklist. Can anyone give tips on switching my accounts?  :ohdear:

KittyTheKat
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Any/All and Agender

iMood: KittyTheKat

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023 @838.38 »

I'm not sure about the verification link itself, but Proton has a way to make different addresses for the same account if you pay for it, so maybe you could make an alt email for stuff that you suspect is going to try and track you? If not that, you might be able to make a different account altogether if you don't mind a bit of extra work.

"Hell is other people. But that’s only that side of the coin. The other side, which no one seems to mention, is also “Heaven is each other.” … Hell is separateness, uncommunicability, self-centeredness, lust for power, for riches, for fame. Heaven, on the other hand, is very simple—and very hard: caring about your fellow beings." -Jean-Paul Sartre
fancypengy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

im like you without good moods

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024 @105.51 »

hello!! i'm just lurking through old posts in this board and just wanted to say i was thinking about doing this very thing earlier today, so cool to see someone else has successfully (for the most part) made the switch!! did you end up getting the problems you described resolved? did you/are you using the free version or the paid version of Proton? ik this is from a while ago so this may be old news to you at this point, but i'd be very curious about an update if you're still willing to share ^~^

arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: arcus

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024 @168.33 »

unfortunately theres a couple problems. Theres some accounts i use that are pretty necessary, like the account my Xbox uses, and im worried that, if i add my proton account, ill ruin the privacy stuff ive already setup and expose my privacy.

Elaborate on the privacy stuff. You can make another email address and use that specifically for accounts with your personal data.

theres also my discord account, which i have many good friends on, but i wanna stop using discord

Not a perfect solution, but there are some bridge bots for Matrix. I used a bridge and eventually started taking big breaks while reminding my friends other places they can find me.

theres also my discord account, which i have many good friends on, but i wanna stop using discord, and i dont want to switch my email on that account because ublock says its verification link is tagged in a blocklist. Can anyone give tips on switching my accounts?  :ohdear:

If the url starts with click.discord, that's because that's their email tracking domain. They use it to track what links in the emails they send have been clicked on. You can open it fine, you'll want to keep it in whatever container you use for Discord if you're worried about cookies.

grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024 @538.15 »

I dont know how to help with the specifics you asked, but good job on you for changing and degoogling!

Is there any reason you dont want to just keep gmail in the instances where it's only a "helper" email? (logins to xbox etc).
I've got Skiff and Tuta-emails, but I still use gmail for various things. :3 Although, I do realize that may be an issue when/if my desktop goes dead, as I dont use google or chrome at all on my laptop, hah. But I guess my gmail would be stricly a phone-email at that point. I've not yet decided.

Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2024 @597.35 »

Wow! YES! Degoogling is a lot of work but super fulfilling, at least I have found, in terms of reclaiming data and autonomy from a major corporation so good on you! I also switched from Gmail to Proton. Eventually though I realized I value usability more than privacy for email so I switched to Hey mail. Hey Mail allows you to screen addresses in and out which makes email much more manageable. Overall very happy, though ideally I'd like to eventually (when I have the time) clean up my inbox fully and migrate to a privacy focused service.
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024 @976.88 »

Elaborate on the privacy stuff. You can make another email address and use that specifically for accounts with your personal data.

Not a perfect solution, but there are some bridge bots for Matrix. I used a bridge and eventually started taking big breaks while reminding my friends other places they can find me.

If the url starts with click.discord, that's because that's their email tracking domain. They use it to track what links in the emails they send have been clicked on. You can open it fine, you'll want to keep it in whatever container you use for Discord if you're worried about cookies.
My solution so far has kinda been a silly one, since i had ungoogled chromium on my computer, i just started using discord in that. I would like to use a bridge or something for discord, but im worried that, if i can easily access discord, ill end up getting addicted to it again.

hello!! i'm just lurking through old posts in this board and just wanted to say i was thinking about doing this very thing earlier today, so cool to see someone else has successfully (for the most part) made the switch!! did you end up getting the problems you described resolved? did you/are you using the free version or the paid version of Proton? ik this is from a while ago so this may be old news to you at this point, but i'd be very curious about an update if you're still willing to share ^~^

Well, im getting closer to solving the discord stuff, but i havent tried solving the xbox problem yet. Ive been using discord less though, which is good, and no, im not paying for proton :p

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (2)

FromSoftware / Soulsborne Games

Started by sigBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 5
Views: 525
Last post March 09, 2023 @990.24
by Guest
HELP: Language Switching?

Started by night-at-the-musianBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 2
Views: 256
Last post December 19, 2023 @857.79
by wygolvillage

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi