Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @255.60 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions
| | |-+  Thoughts on Necrothreads

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on Necrothreads  (Read 872 times)
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« on: January 04, 2023 @995.34 »

So I've been thinking about this lately as I read through threads, and realized that each forum probably has their own rules about it.

"Necrothreads" for those who haven't heard the term are forum threads that are open but haven't been commented on in a long time, so they've fallen further down in the thread listing.

What is Melonland's policy on commenting on old threads? Does it bother you, or do you think it's fine? Do you think it's weird when someone shows up and comments on a thread that's been sitting untouched for over a year?

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023 @10.41 »

The official stance is that this forum promotes and encourages posting on old threads - old-discussing warnings should be disabled? - A big part of why I wanted to create a forum was to allow a slow form of discussion, with days or even months between each post, and maybe we are now at a point where there could be years between posts ^^

So feel free to post on any anything you like :smile:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023 @615.36 »

"Necrothreads" for those who haven't heard the term are forum threads that are open but haven't been commented on in a long time, so they've fallen further down in the thread listing.

This reminds me of the fact that quite recently I have been very invested in reading some pretty old forum posts on the imood website..
so much so that I completely forgot the fact that most of them were written in 2001 or so :drat:

Honestly, most people nowadays dont mind since it lets them in on insight of the kind of people on the site awhile ago! especially since a lot of us are keen on slow increment of media and slowed discussion. people are very used to rapid-content and "relevancy" of subjects, which personally i think is not what this side of the web should be like.
 Once an open discussion, always an open discussion i believe :omg:k: :omg:k:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023 @746.27 »

The official stance is that this forum promotes and encourages posting on old threads - old-discussing warnings should be disabled? - A big part of why I wanted to create a forum was to allow a slow form of discussion, with days or even months between each post, and maybe we are now at a point where there could be years between posts ^^

So feel free to post on any anything you like :smile:

YAAAAAY! I figured that'd be the sentiment here, but I always like to ask rather than assume.

Once an open discussion, always an open discussion i believe :omg:k: :omg:k:

Completely agree!

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023 @813.81 »

YAAAAAY! I figured that'd be the sentiment here, but I always like to ask rather than assume.
I think thats a good moral to have, you're completely in the right to have asked first :grin:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023 @825.32 »

The whole "no necroposting" rule on other places always seemed pretty arbitrary to me in the first place, is there a reason why a forum should want it anyway? I don't see why you should make a new thread for an old topic...

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023 @370.89 »

Considering that whole message boards are discovered through older threads that can be found on search engines, it would really be a shame to not being able to "continue" the discussion on an old thread. Although the user should have lower expectations, the participating members might have left for example.
plantovision
Jr. Member ⚓︎

born to ":3" forced to ":)"

StatusCafe: plantovision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023 @486.35 »

The whole "no necroposting" has always just been frustrating to me, probably because I often see situations where if you were to make a new topic, those same people would come back to harass you about duplicate topics.

born to be silly, forced to be stupid
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023 @654.63 »

The whole "no necroposting" has always just been frustrating to me, probably because I often see situations where if you were to make a new topic, those same people would come back to harass you about duplicate topics.

OMG this is also 100% true in my experience. There are some forums where people were just...very rigid about things, and it's so annoying. I feel like a lot of that was a part of the whole "nerd culture" that used to be so prevalent and insular. I'm SO glad people are more accepting and inclusive on the internet these days.

Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023 @507.01 »

I get not wanting necroposting if it's like a very specific problem question that has already been dealt with in the conversation, then you could just make a new thread if you had other questions. (Not the exact same one.) But it's kind of silly if new users aren't allowed to necropost on a "What's your favourite colour?" thread. :drat:
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023 @713.53 »

I think the point is to keep people from pushing threads upwards with simple replies that don't add anything to the conversation like "I agree" or responding to someone who made that post three years ago and might feel differently or not care at all; pushing the entire topic including perhaps irrelevant information in the first post onto the front page for everyone to be confused by.

If I actually had something to add, I made good experiences simply saying "Sorry for necroposting but...". Many people can accept that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Web design is fashion design ?? Your thoughts on self expression online?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2304
Last post August 31, 2023 @620.49
by technomage
Your thoughts on the forum categories?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 34
Views: 5323
Last post November 15, 2023 @892.60
by keybladekid6
Thoughts on credit

Started by KariusBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 3
Views: 1158
Last post May 15, 2022 @625.96
by Karius

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi