Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @805.64 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Not able to get into anything

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Not able to get into anything  (Read 674 times)
Leekleeks
Casual Poster

Professional Wallflower

iMood: Leekleeks

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: January 08, 2023 @749.77 »

I've had this problem for a while where I load up a game, play for maybe 15 minutes or so, then I get bored and close out. I still feel like I want to play something, but nothing fills that void.

And while I'm at work, I would think "man, I wish I was home to play some games" or something like "as soon as I have the time I'm gonna load up "x" game and play all night". But when I get home, I load up the game and then close it.

Maybe I just need to give it a break, and resist the urge to play something for a while.

Anyone else have a problem like this?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023 @770.46 »

Yeah, I have had exactly the same problem.
I got diagnosed with ADHD last year and am now on meds. Now it's fine again.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023 @856.49 »

Don't worry this happens to everyone (and I think meds is a VERY extreme suggestion to start with /home/ :tongue:); it sounds like you could be experiencing "Hedonic Adaptation" which is a fancy way of saying, you get bored of things that you do too often - you think a game should be fun because it was fun in the past, but its not because you've become bored of it right now.

I learned about that from this dramatic video ^^ (I don't follow the channel anymore and cant speak for what it says.. but the video is cool!)

The remedy is simple! Do something unexpected - Do things you've never done before; invite some friends to go somewhere new, or do a walk/hike you've never done before; try a hobby that involves very different skills and mental tasks than what you normally do - get out of your comfort zone! The trick is, you need to do things that actually feel meaningful, that add some real sense of depth and scale to life, what that is will be different for everyone, sometimes just walking in the woods can do it!

So yes, taking a break is exactly right, but it needs to be an active break - you dont need relaxation, you need fun :ozwomp: - then after a while the joy should start coming back to things you used to like again ^^ :4u:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
purelyconstructive
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023 @981.47 »

I think it could be a multitude of things, whether it be biological (as in the case of /home/user/'s experience) or habitual overstimulation (as Melooon has suggested)...It could even be something as simple as getting poor sleep...

Personally, I have encountered similar things before, but it was usually when I was depressed. I would find it hard to concentrate, including upon the things that would normally elicit pleasure for me. Finding some way to ease that tension would then allow me to enjoy it again. For example, if I was overwhelmed with personal finances and survival, I would purposely meditate on how I am already doing "ok" and express gratitude for all of the resources that I have available to me.

A similar response arises when I am purposely using something to distract myself from something else that I know I must eventually get done. In other words, I cannot enjoy something fully if I am procrastinating. It lingers "in the back of my mind" until it is resolved.

It also depends upon what one is focusing on. For example, some video games are designed to be addictive and one might get a sense of "burnout" from them without realizing it. However, it doesn't have to be that way. Video games can be a way to learn and to heal too.

I do hope that you find out what it is so that you can enjoy your hobbies again! Please let us know how it goes.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023 @97.09 »

I've suffered from similar things last year so badly I went to see a psychologist and within a week I was diagnosed with OCD and prescribed meds so, yeah ^^' It's a bit better now but idk if meds had anything to do with it or just the fact I found something new to get excited about = making new websites, this forum, etc. I also cut out things that made me feel stressed out, which meant cutting down social media usage to a minimum and doing things such as block myself from accessing sites like reddit on my phone. I've also found hanging out more with my friends has helped. One might wonder how that is connected to video games, but indeed I have returned to some games I used to have no energy for.

So in short, don't do things that feel stressful or not fun. Cut them out if you have to. Hang out with people more if you're someone who might be helped by that. Try to do something different and see if at some point, you might feel more positive towards doing older hobbies as well.
Leekleeks
Casual Poster

Professional Wallflower

iMood: Leekleeks

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023 @153.25 »

Thanks everyone! So far I've been cleaning, surfing the web, and today I bought myself a nook! I appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses :cheesy:
Absentmind

i love surfing the world widened web

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023 @701.83 »

I kinda had this for a while, took a break from gaming and focused on real life stuff. I bought an old bicycle from a community cycle centre and would go on random rides around the city or into nature, I would also spend time looking up videos on how to clean on it and change parts etc. I love my bike and I ride it everywhere! point is, I'd seek something soulful. I'm not sure what job you have but if you're like me and go from "bad screen" home to "good screen" it can be rather soul draining!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Do you like death note?

Started by JackFrostBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 16
Views: 1334
Last post March 07, 2024 @830.49
by Diggon
Feature discussion - Alerts/Notifications

Started by GuestBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 8
Views: 652
Last post February 25, 2023 @929.36
by Melooon
Share your Notes App

Started by MelooonBoard ✑ ∙ Writers Corner

Replies: 13
Views: 709
Last post July 25, 2023 @496.68
by glitterpigeon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi