Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @909.46 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 63/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  IM clients

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: IM clients  (Read 2167 times)
sharpieBath
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Average Homestuckian

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2024 @85.73 »

i definitely do use discord þe most but i'm kind of wantiŋ to gid rid of it soon ngl, i dont þink i'll get off of it completely because my friends are on þere but i do want to start usiŋ it less. i recently got on matrix and xmpp and þey feel a million times better to use imo! i definitely like xmpp þe best but i end up usiŋ it þe least because of how niche it is, oof.

You can't fight þe homestuck!!
xero333

StatusCafe: xero333
iMood: xero333

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2024 @424.91 »

I use Psi+
and theres a bunch of providers but i I use tigase

Thanks! I'll check it out.

:pc: Bring back the old web! :pc:
xero333

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2024 @518.43 »

I'm on XMPP now if anyone wants to add me: xero333@0nl1ne.at

Yaya
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2024 @232.52 »

The thing is I really believe that there is a space and desire for an IM client of some sort. One that supports only text and voice chat. I think that is what Discord was supposed to be but then it got filled with features and bots. I think there is still a chance discord would work but it has a reputation (which can be great!) as more of a platform for gaming and communities.

I would love what is essentially a group chat for groups of online or irl friends. People you can quickly say hi too when being online so it doesn't feel lonely. I've tried with a discord server but for whatever reason it doesn't hold up with smaller communities. Group texts are great but people my age mainly use them for coordinating events, etc...

The main thing (similar to how I feel about new social media) is that it would have to be super easy to use and deploy. Like you click one .exe and install and you're really good to go. I think simplicity is key here.
xero333

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2024 @580.71 »

The thing is I really believe that there is a space and desire for an IM client of some sort. One that supports only text and voice chat. I think that is what Discord was supposed to be but then it got filled with features and bots. I think there is still a chance discord would work but it has a reputation (which can be great!) as more of a platform for gaming and communities.

I would love what is essentially a group chat for groups of online or irl friends. People you can quickly say hi too when being online so it doesn't feel lonely. I've tried with a discord server but for whatever reason it doesn't hold up with smaller communities. Group texts are great but people my age mainly use them for coordinating events, etc...

The main thing (similar to how I feel about new social media) is that it would have to be super easy to use and deploy. Like you click one .exe and install and you're really good to go. I think simplicity is key here.

Yeah, totally agreed. Everyone used to use MSN messenger when I was a teen, and it was simple and great to use. No extra features or crap. And the features it did have were fun. Discord is too busy and chaotic, and like you said it's got far too many useless features and bots. I signed up to XMPP but I have used IRC a little in the past. Would be good to get a group chat going somewhere for us forum users!

georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2024 @976.60 »

Do you use Vencord with armcord? Or no mods?

I do use Vencord with it (although as of now i've Switched to Vesktop (which as the name suggests is from the same folks that made Vencord) because armcord doesn't function properly on Asahi Fedora)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024 @978.03 by georgemoody » Logged

I have no idea what I’m doing.
virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2024 @913.56 »

Yeah, totally agreed. Everyone used to use MSN messenger when I was a teen, and it was simple and great to use. No extra features or crap. And the features it did have were fun. Discord is too busy and chaotic, and like you said it's got far too many useless features and bots. I signed up to XMPP but I have used IRC a little in the past. Would be good to get a group chat going somewhere for us forum users!

I really hope there will come a point in time where discord dies out like the many popular messaging services of the past. I doubt I'll use it, but I just strongly dislike discord as "the place where everyone is". I think its too closed off to suit such a role. I think something more simplistic and open like XMPP would be much better to take the role, but thats obviously not going to happen so currently I'm just curious what a successor to discord would look like.

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
m1k3

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2024 @995.59 »

I still use Pidgin to this day because I can communication with various protocols (IRC, XMPP, matrix, etc.) all in one spot. Plus I really like the UI.   :cool:
xero333

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024 @377.12 »

I really hope there will come a point in time where discord dies out like the many popular messaging services of the past. I doubt I'll use it, but I just strongly dislike discord as "the place where everyone is". I think its too closed off to suit such a role. I think something more simplistic and open like XMPP would be much better to take the role, but thats obviously not going to happen so currently I'm just curious what a successor to discord would look like.

Agreed. Discord is literally one service completely run and maintained by the creators. Protocols like XMPP or IRC need to make a huge comeback IMO. Gives the user so much more flexibility being able to use whatever client they want.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi