Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @918.39 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 42/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  How do you make a clear low-res forum avatar from high-res image?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do you make a clear low-res forum avatar from high-res image?  (Read 475 times)
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: January 11, 2023 @717.99 »

Hey! :ha:

I'm currently trying to make some 100x100 forum avatars based on some high-resolution artwork scans, but they always turn out blurry, which I guess is because I usually have to resize down the images to fit in the part that I want to include, therefore trying to express the same information and clarity with less pixels.

Am I missing something here? How do I make 100x100 forum avatars that aren't blurry when using high-resolution sources?

Thank you!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023 @743.44 »

Scaling an image down by pixel count will always make it look more blurry :sad:

But there are a few ways you can get better results - the are different algorithms you can pick in most good image editors (I attached a screenshot of mine) - the best thing is to play around with them and see whats working best for your image.

Id also add that this forum is unlike 99% of the web, we use CSS crisp-edges on here: so images wont be blurred or softened - that makes pixel art look great, but high res image will look more grainy (like they are on an older computer)! - If you switch to the light theme it will soften images like most sites.

* algorithms.png (68.01 kB, 510x528 - viewed 60 times.)

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023 @755.53 »

Scaling an image down by pixel count will always make it look more blurry :sad:

But there are a few ways you can get better results - the are different algorithms you can pick in most good image editors (I attached a screenshot of mine) - the best thing is to play around with them and see whats working best for your image.

Id also add that this forum is unlike 99% of the web, we use CSS crisp-edges on here: so images wont be blurred or softened - that makes pixel art look great, but high res image will look more grainy (like they are on an older computer)! - If you switch to the light theme it will soften images like most sites.

Thank you for your advice!

Just to add, my current avatar was created by an avatar creation tool included in the imageboard website "Konachan", which seemingly does a very decent job at creating avatars from any source image. Unfortunately, it is limited only to the images available on the site.

I'll try various other software and see if they have said algorithms which can help me produce better results (only tried PAINT.NET so far). Switching to pixel art avatars may be a good idea too haha.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 243
Views: 20433
Last post March 05, 2024 @666.35
by grubbyfox
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 0
Views: 5322
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
chiptune maker!

Started by cinniBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 6
Views: 2024
Last post March 08, 2023 @308.04
by Gans

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi