Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @424.07 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pokemon Scarlet/Violet  (Read 695 times)
« on: November 19, 2022 @782.23 »

Is anybody else playing the new Pokemon? Which version did you get?

I'm really impressed so far. This is the first Pokemon RPG I've actually enjoyed since Red. I bought Violet because I liked the look of the legendary more.

And also Eiscue!

I know a lot of people are talking about the game being ugly and running poorly. I don't really agree. It's definitely not the prettiest game on Switch and it does have some performance issues, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of the complaints I've read make it out to be and neither issue is severe enough to ruin the game.

To me it feels like one of the old RPGs crossed with Pokemon Snap. It has the classic gameplay, but you get to see the Pokemon out in the world doing things naturally. There are maybe too many Pokemon scattered around, so the world feels kind of cluttered and like their placement is haphazard. But I prefer that over there being too few and having to search endlessly to find something, like hunting in Red Dead Online.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022 @784.63 by MamboGator » Logged
pleb-hates-the-modern-web
Casual Poster

is this thing on?

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022 @945.43 »

i'm not able to yet because my gf is using my switch to play :drat:

she got a copy of violet, and it looks pretty cool, though i've never played a pokemon game before so i'm not sure what exactly is expected of it. i have noticed some graphical issues, and issues with framerates - not to be a snob, but sometimes it gets distracting/worries us that the game has frozen or is going to crash. i do agree, though, that it is neat to see pokemon just out and doing their thing, not to mention really immersive.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023 @80.00 »

I got Scarlet a few weeks back, and I agree with the general consensus of "broken on a technical level but fun nonetheless". Within my first half hour of playing I already had numerous graphical glitches and even clipped through a door at some point, leaving me to hang out in the void. The gameplay is fun as usual though, and I like the system of three seperate story objectives. The world does feel a bit less "Pokemon" though: there's not as much stand-out locales like in the previous games, just generic locations with ugly repeating textures.

Like I said, I'm having fun with it, but if people decide to skip the game or otherwise hold Negative Opinions about it, that's absolutely valid in my book. I just wish they had more time with it but that's never gonna happen when the most profitable IP in the world is built completely around the periodical release of a new videogame: if TPC would grow up and start introducing Pokémon in spin-off media like the anime and whatnot, maybe Game Freak can finally take the time to polish their games... (and maybe reintroduce the battle frontier please i beg of you)

(Picture related: sig in the void)

* 2022122715004200-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg (107.53 kB, 640x360 - viewed 65 times.)

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Leekleeks
Casual Poster

Professional Wallflower

iMood: Leekleeks

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023 @347.38 »

I definitely want to play it, but I can't break my "beat two games before buying one" rule. The last game I bought was Switch Sports which is really fun. But yeah it's a bummer about the technical glitches and all that.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023 @96.61 »

I'm going to be frank that I was definitely one of the people who was turned off by the brokenness of it. It just seems way too much to justify the price. Honestly I've felt the Pokemon series has been going downhill for quite a few years now. There were still some fun bits of the last couple generations but the lack of quality control and bringing in DLC just feel like red flags to me.

I also know every generation has its duds but I've been pretty unimpressed by most of the new gen 9 Pokemon and evo designs I've seen (Dundunsparce, seriously?).

I haven't played it though so maybe it could still be fun. I don't know.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023 @432.01 »

I'm going to be frank that I was definitely one of the people who was turned off by the brokenness of it. It just seems way too much to justify the price. Honestly I've felt the Pokemon series has been going downhill for quite a few years now. There were still some fun bits of the last couple generations but the lack of quality control and bringing in DLC just feel like red flags to me.

I also know every generation has its duds but I've been pretty unimpressed by most of the new gen 9 Pokemon and evo designs I've seen (Dundunsparce, seriously?).

I haven't played it though so maybe it could still be fun. I don't know.

I was the same and had major doubts at the start of the game, but I started enjoying it not long after. That said, it's a very steep price for a game that you don't find appealing so it's not a bad idea to skip out on it if you feel like it.

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023 @516.81 »

Honestly I think the game isn't enjoyable even if you ignore the technical difficulties.

The world feels utterly un-designed, with assets like buildings and NPCs seemingly plopped into the world without context, often clipping through the terrain. There is no real transition between town and nature, civilization just begins somewhere on a platform as if it was user-generated content in a game with a base building side mechanic. The story is as always bland and uninteresting, with the "twists" being obvious from reading the premise and no real interesting characters or plot points. The customization has been almost removed, forcing you into a school uniform. Most of the game world is completely empty, and items and Pokémon are strewn around in a way that I can't imagine has been decided through anything but procedural random placement. The gameplay itself has been nearly unchanged since the first generation, only that we now have a bland and empty open world instead of specifically designed scenic routes. The graphics honestly remind me of licensed Wii games, too; repeating terrain textures, the character models, all of it.

And this is all if you choose to ignore the egregious technical issues: a grand vista that's supposed to show a breathtaking view of a field full of windmills has them spin with two frames a second, NPCs and Pokémon pop in and out a few meters away, people and Pokémon are still T-posing in cutscenes. The game lags unbelievably much and often.

This is something I would criticize even in a student project, let alone the highest grossing media franchise of all time. It was utterly unenjoyable even with goodwill.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023 @535.68 »

Honestly I think the game isn't enjoyable even if you ignore the technical difficulties.

That's completely fair. I especially agree on the whole open world being bland: the previous generations had much more interesting locales and routes with personality, but that has slowly faded away over the years. I especially noticed it with Sword and Shield, where basically none of the locations were interesting or unique in any way, shape or form, making the whole overworld just straight up bland. Also the cities themselves don't have much to do in other than going to shop, unless I'm missing something...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

If you had a Pokemon type...

Started by NeonriserBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 38
Views: 3845
Last post December 05, 2023 @137.31
by Fish
What would your life look like in the Pokemon universe?

Started by TAS_1KBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 11
Views: 1838
Last post April 22, 2023 @598.99
by Guest
If pokemon were real, which would be your main partner?

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 16
Views: 1626
Last post February 17, 2023 @816.55
by levya

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi