Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @389.94 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 40/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  SMBX / Super Mario Bros. X

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SMBX / Super Mario Bros. X  (Read 684 times)
« on: January 09, 2023 @600.68 »

Hey there,

I kind of always wanted to make a thread about this because it's a game that has been all over my childhood.

Super Mario Bros. X is a Mario fangame.
It combines a solid level and "episode" editor (an episode is a collection of levels through a world map, basically a whole game, full with secret exits and so on), and features from all retro Mario games (SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, SMW) and even some other games (Metroid mostly).

It has support for custom graphics, custom music and even layers and events. And there are plenty of really good episodes and levels by prominent creators that can definitely more than hold a candle to the original Mario games. It's kind of like SMW ROM hacking but with less technical skill required.

And to blow your mind, this was actually the very first project of a little known indie developer called Redigit, who went on to make Terraria!

Nowadays, due to Redigit abandoning the game, there are various different versions and continuations of the game, which kind of split the player base, but also means script support, way more NPCs and blocks, multiplatform and controller support, and much much more.

It has a pretty active forum over here, full of both older and newer players with a very diverse age range and range of personalities and identities, and it's a decently friendly community overall. Over the last years, they also made an effort to purge bigotry from the forums, so you will find a lot of welcoming features and people there.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023 @601.79 »

Here are a few screenshots I yanked from the screenshot thread :tongue:

Gummy
Newbie ⚓︎

(ʘᴥʘ) Just trying to SQUEAK by...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023 @802.27 »

Woah! It's been a long time since I heard about Super Mario Bros. X.
I actually had no idea it was done by Regedit! I had heard about a fan remake last year during the Sonic Amateur Games Expo, but I didn't really find that it was done very well.
Is there any place to download the game anymore? I notice the forums are packed with fan projects, off-topic discussion, and just general stuff.
Would love to turn this into a stream, Nintendo Ninjas be damned.
 :unite:

~\(ʘᴥʘ)Just schmoovin on by(ʘᴥʘ)/~
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023 @823.01 »

I've heard about it before, and those screenshots make it look incredibly appealing to play (especially the one with Link). Do you have any levels or episodes to recommend?

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023 @201.96 »

Is there any place to download the game anymore?

There's three different large versions now: SMBX2, SMBX38A, and TheXTech. SMBX2 has the most features by far and is the most popular one these days, too. SMBX38A has less features overall, but it does have more NPCs to choose from. TheXTech is a re-implementation of the original game but it's free and open source software plus has multi-platform (e.g. GNU+Linux version) support.

Which one you choose is mostly up to you, although most current episodes will require SMBX2.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023 @202.34 »

I've heard about it before, and those screenshots make it look incredibly appealing to play (especially the one with Link). Do you have any levels or episodes to recommend?

Sadly I have been "out of the loop" for quite a while, but the forums are a good place to start. They hold contests regularly; playing the contest winners would probably be your best bet.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Almost on my way to beating Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

Started by easy_breezyBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 1
Views: 1058
Last post February 24, 2022 @94.83
by OkayRelax
Supercade - Book Review!

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1056
Last post March 20, 2022 @85.47
by Kutan
Fantasy Life: Supermarket

Started by MelooonBoard ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 2
Views: 486
Last post April 26, 2023 @206.88
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi