Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @101.49 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 899.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :eyes: ~ Inconvenience is counterculture ~ :eyes:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  How much about your online life do your family & friends know?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: How much about your online life do your family & friends know?  (Read 2957 times)
AutisticAsFxxk
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Rachel (she/her/xe/xem)

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2023 @212.48 »

My friends, family, colleagues and even my boss know about my online life and website. They're all very supportive of what I do and I'm very thankful and lucky to be surrounded by people like that.

AutisticAsFxxk.com - For Autistic punks, rebels and misfits forging their own path in a neurotypical world.
Badgersaurus
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Punk-Rock Mustelizard from Beyond the Stars

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: Badgersaurus

View Profile WWW

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2023 @699.63 »

All of it.
In fact I'd say my website primarily exists for my IRL friends and family. Anyone else looking at it is just gravy.
I regularly talk to my relatives about what I'm planning next for it, and they check it semi-frequently. I like it when people see what I've made and care about it. It's also a good conversation starter for meeting new people or people I haven't seen in a while; there's a joke on my homepage about my website being made so I could have something to talk about at parties and that's only half a lie.
sibusen
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Failed graphic designer

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: sibu7

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2024 @513.58 »

Jumping on this old thread rather than creating a new topic...

What are your thoughts on having several different usernames online?

I have become gradually more involved in the indie web scene the past year and am creating new accounts here and there. I never really thought about what username to put as I have a couple of different ones and some variations of each, and now I am wondering if I somehow seem a bit - disingenuous, might be the word, when I have different usernames (maybe also different profile pics) in different forums?

In a way I feel it's nice to have different usernames to sort of divide what you share in different spaces but it might be easier to make friends online if they see you in different places? The indie web scene is quite small I guess...
halcybutton
Casual Poster ⚓︎

it/ey/he

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: halcybutton
iMood: halcybutton
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2024 @720.81 »

my irl friends know a bit, my family knows less. i don't go out of my way to promote myself to my family for many reasons, my irl friends i don't mind as much. my irl friends might follow my accounts, but most of what my family knows is that i use my computer for things. i am much more openly weird online and don't really want my IRL peers finding out unless i know they're cool with it :dive:

HALCYON 
it/he/ey - EST
dirtnap

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2024 @306.52 »

i remember a thread with an almost identical title cropping up on the very first forum i ever used, around two decade ago.

my answer now is exactly the same as it was then, though i think i can express it more clearly now:

i have no "online life". i exist, and everyone i know likewise exists. there's no "online". there's no "offline". there's just people.

this isn't a petty semantic frustration, i mean it literally. i have never viewed reality as divided between online and offline, it just doesn't make sense to me. people don't stop being real just because they're communicating to you through a method other than physical contact.

everyone i know, i communicate with via some method involving the internet. even if we occasionally (or regularly) share physical space, we still primarily communicate online. i email my gp, and my therapist.

in fact, i've found companies now refuse to communicate in a way that doesn't involve the internet, even if i'm explicitly telling them to.

i've said, to quite a few proffesional people who have expressed discomfort with communicating via email, you have my address. send me a letter instead, and i'll respond in kind. and they're always even weirder about that.

sometimes i'll get an email from some business or other that they don't have a phone number for me on file, and would i update my details? if it looks automated (most of them are), i won't respond. if it's clearly hand-written and comes from a specific address (human-name@company.com instead of customer-support@company.com) i'll respond that this is not a mistake, and that as evidenced they do have my correct email address. if they feel digital communication is insecure, they also have my postal address and are free to send me a letter. and they will continue to email me.

it's weird how...weird...people, and especially companies, are about sending letters. they will email, they will text, they will phone, they may even have a chatbot, but they absolutely fucking refuse to send letters. even when i explicitly say "i need this in writing, in hard copy. please send me a physical letter in the post via royal mail. here is my postal address in case you lost it". they'll still send it via email instead. usually as a pdf. guess i'll go the library and print it out myself.

even if i am standing at reception, they could hand me the fucking letter. does no-one have any printers? is that it?

i've noticed that a lot of people view the internet (as a sort of entity in itself) as a kind of barrier or protection from others. that this protective entity of the internet somehow makes it easier for them to communicate, or makes them feel safer because a computer can't throw acid on your face.

and, in the latter case, i fully understand.

in the former case, while i understand abstractly what they mean, i can't internally comprehend it. is it really the internet specifically that grants this improved power of communication? or do they communicate better in writing than via sound? or maybe they prefer asynchronous communication, and the format isn't too important?

i can't functionally communicate via sound. i didn't understand why until i was well into adulthood, but i have two disorders that interact terribly to make auditory communication somewhere between very difficult and outright impossible for me.

i carry a notepad and pen, and i communicate with people i'm physically standing right in front of in writing, because that's the only way i can communicate coherently.

something fascinating i've noticed is that, if i do this to someone who doesn't know me, they will almost always take the notepad and respond in writing. if i need to be directed to a certain place, after making sure i'm looking at them, they'll point me in the correct direction.

they probably assume i'm deaf, which i don't mind. it's not...technically wrong, in the sense of little-d deaf, but if they spoke while i could see their lips i'd probably be fine.

when i was a child, everyone told others i was shy. that always felt wrong, and now i know it was wrong. as a child i was, if anything, not shy enough. it just seemed to be the only word anyone knew for "doesn't speak".

i do know for a fact i prefer asynchronous communication, and it's entirely because people are so fucking impatient. i have a linguistic disorder, i need time to translate my thoughts into words, and to a lesser degree others' words into thoughts. even if i can get past my mutism, communicating physically is a struggle because people are impatient. if i don't respond instantly, they'll repeat themselves as though i didn't hear them. this forces me to once again go through the process of translating their words (they might be saying something different, i can't know if i don't understand what they're saying), and resetting my ability to think.

i've gotten into the habit of repeating "i know" breathlessly when someone is speaking something i already know. they still don't stop. they'll finish their whole auditory paragraph anyway. what's the point of live communication if people treat it as though it's asynchronous anyway? all the downsides with none of the benefits.

some people will shout at me. they will say i am ignoring them. i find their definition of "ignore" incoherent. i am literally still right here. i am still looking at you. that is the opposite of ignoring.

i won't deal with people who shout, not in any way, not for any reason.

i honestly prefer it when people assume i'm deaf and use my notebook.

Jumping on this old thread rather than creating a new topic...

What are your thoughts on having several different usernames online?

I have become gradually more involved in the indie web scene the past year and am creating new accounts here and there. I never really thought about what username to put as I have a couple of different ones and some variations of each, and now I am wondering if I somehow seem a bit - disingenuous, might be the word, when I have different usernames (maybe also different profile pics) in different forums?

In a way I feel it's nice to have different usernames to sort of divide what you share in different spaces but it might be easier to make friends online if they see you in different places? The indie web scene is quite small I guess...

it's not disingenuous. it should frankly be more normal.

this used to be completely normal. most people had a minimum of one username per fandom, and often had variations for practicality reasons anyway. your username on every site is at the mercy of whether or not it's taken, or within that site's limitations. even when i want to use the same name on multiple sites, i sometimes can't.

at this point, i think it's wise and should become standard practice to arbitrarily divide accounts across different usernames. if someone decides they want to cause you problems, it's easier for them to do so if they can find multiple accounts all belonging to you by googling the name they know you by.

no js no shoes no problem
sibusen
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Failed graphic designer

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: sibu7

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2024 @465.03 »

at this point, i think it's wise

Yeah I actually feel like I can relax more knowing that people don't know me from other places. It is a relief from the anxiety I feel when using mainstream social media.

I started seeing the same profiles in different places and wondered if this was the norm or an unwritten rule that I was unaware of.

Thanks, I feel better about it now :smile:
Yaya

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2024 @568.19 »

Navigating the divide between what's often referred to as "online" and "offline" life is something I've given quite a bit of thought to, and it often comes up in discussions with friends. There's a common notion that online activities aren't part of "real life," which I find problematic. Everything we do online is part of our real lives, shaping our experiences and interactions significantly.

I understand the need for privacy and the use of different usernames for different circles or interests, which isn't necessarily about shame or discomfort. Often, it's about maintaining boundaries that protect personal space and mental health. This separation allows people to navigate different aspects of their identity with freedom and safety that might not be available in their everyday environment.

In my own experience, I strive for a cohesive identity across platforms, even though I initially hesitated to share my projects online, particularly those that required collaboration—a process some might stigmatize. Sharing these aspects of my life not only demystifies my activities but often leads to supportive and enriching exchanges.

While not everyone might dive deep into every interest—like my passion for the retro web or advocating for a free, independent internet—those who engage often find it cool, even if it's not their thing. This openness can lead to dialogues that broaden perspectives, something I find incredibly rewarding.

Of course, striking a balance is crucial. Sharing online can foster unexpected connections and insights, but maintaining boundaries for safety and privacy is wise. I've found integrating my online and offline worlds as much as possible beneficial for my mental health and overall well-being, promoting authenticity and transparency in a way that respects both my space and the boundaries of others.
Zombiethederg
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Just surfin. Dont mind me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Purple Butterfly - to match your purple avatar!Joined 2024!
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2024 @554.31 »

I care not to tell anyone in my real life about my online life. In my real life, things are far too open so I prefer to keep my online spaces secret from those who know me. If they found out about it, it wouldnt be like, the end of the world, you know? But it still wouldnt be the best feeling in the world. I prefer to have my own space where I can express myself without others in my real life judging me you know?

PfP art by Bunbubbletea on Fiverr
moonunions
Casual Poster ⚓︎

ヽ(・∀・)ノ yippiiiieeee

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Still knowing about Clippy in 2024Joined 2024!
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2024 @744.51 »

since i don't talk to my blood relatives, they thankfully know zilch about my online life. some of my friends are aware of me dipping my toes into website making, but i'm a pretty private person and feel too shy to give my site to anyone i know. i'm proud of what i make, but there's always something that holds me back. :tnt:

tungl" border="0

please feed beefsteak, he hungers ➭ feed beefsteak!
milo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

whoa!!

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2024 @785.74 »

The only irl people who know about my website or online life are my wife and my best friend. My wife because I'm always online in front of her and I tell her about the people and friends I keep online. And my best friend because he codes games with me and I've invited him into my various online circles as a result.

Normally I have always kept my online and my offline presence separate. I have groups of online friends and groups of offline friends. My irl friends aren't as geeky and techy as I am, so they don't really care about all the nerdy stuff I'm into which is a big reason I usually don't share that stuff. Not that they'd make fun of me or anything, it's just a totally separate mental space.

Funny enough, the aformentioned best friend is someone I met irl and when we started working on making games together, I introduced him to online friends I had known for years only online... that was kinda strange. Like a multiverse crossover moment in my personal life lol.

varve
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2024 @697.96 »

My family, no. But that's not an online-specific thing; they lost the privilege of knowing what I was enthusiastic about a long time ago. Friends? Absolutely. Again, not an online-specific thing.

As for usernames, I've changed handles a few times over the decades, and sometimes had multiple going at the same time, just because I felt a separation was appropriate. Depends entirely on context.
Casual Poster ⚓︎

she's an angel to you... but she's a devil to me!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2024 @30.53 »

my family doesn't know a whole lot , i think my sister knows the most out of everybody in my immediate family since we're quite close n both are online everyday !
i think it's due to me having to keep alot of stuff online hidden out of fear of it being taken away when i was younger
sometimes i'll bring up my friends though or stuff i'm doing like working on my webseries / fanime :O generally other than my sister i prefer my family not know my accounts or follow me on any one of em , trepidation is very strong at the thought of that
there's not a whole lot of a difference between my online n offline life either lol ! they're very heavily intertwined n have been since i was ~11 , i'd like to get out more though ! (im trying to work on getting a job for the first time :O) it kinda gets a little isolating sometimes haha
as for the other , i've only really got online friends so lol

oh, it is love
from the first time i set my eyes upon yours
thinking,
"oh, is it love?"
VelvetSoul
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Till the moon may fall, and the sun may die.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

A cat for good luck!Joined 2024!
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2024 @304.87 »

I feel like it's really 50/50 with me. Because in the beginning almost everyone in my life knew about my online life; I didn't value the privacy that came with being online and being someone else here. The idea that you could be whoever you wanted online, anonymous but still known; was something I just didn't wrap my head around. I very much wanted to put myself out there, and while that's cool and all; it created a lot of problems for me when I was younger. I didn't really understand the concept that once you put something on the internet, it's out there; forever.

That kind of childhood sent me recoiling as a young adult, I'm 29 now; and I've spent the last roughly 9 years trying to really figure out what I want in life with the answer often coming back to "privacy" in one way or another. It feels like I'm always being watched and judged. It feels like I'm far too known and can't just be myself and be open about things. Even harmless opinions get picked apart on the internet. So I sorta went into hiding, I began creating various side accounts on social media, I use a lot of aliases but it gives me the peace of mind that it's unlikely that even close friends would be able to tell it's me.

The whole thing admittedly makes me feel like I "have something to hide" and I get a lot of weird guilt about it because of how I was raised to be open and transparent with everything. Truth is I just had a family that was REALLY overbearing and wanted to poke into my privacy constantly out of fear I may be developing my own thoughts and ideas of how the world works. So I try to push that guilt away and just live my best life.

I often explain it like this, it's like owning a shop, my friends are privy to the front of the house; they can walk around and view my wares and see everything I choose to present to the public. Everyone knows there's a back of the shop, the warehouse where I keep things; and they respect that it's for employees only. It's not like I hide my use of aliases and side accounts, my friends know I have them and I keep my family distant for reasons I'll keep to myself. However no one knows what those aliases are, what I post there; or what I use them for. Personally, I like it that way. My friends know me well enough to understand I'm not up to anything bad, and they respect me enough to keep that the extent of it, never asking for more information than I'm ever willing to present myself.
schiavona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Let's get real weird with it!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: schiavona
iMood: schiavona

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2024 @550.89 »

My family understands I have a very rich and fulfilling online life, but I haven't told them any of my aliases or what I actually get up to on the internet. Rocking the boat and challenging their preconceived notions of my isn't something I really want to do at the moment, especially since I'm more public about how I truly am online than I am IRL. After all, who is Schiavona really? Sure, we understand that there's a person writing these words with this alias, but I find it's easier to be honest about myself with others under the veil of assumed anonymity. So to preserve my safety IRL and preserve my outlet for personal expression, I only give my family the vaguest notions of what I get up to, just so they don't ask too many questions about me.

<>|==================> Oh look I found my cool sword!
prismatic
Casual Poster

mist ball⭐

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2024 @743.88 »

none, and i'd prefer to keep it that way. it's far better for my real life and my online life to never intermingle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Wilde Life by Pascalle Lepas

Started by demonologiBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 1
Views: 1459
Last post March 20, 2023 @564.03
by debleb
What would your life look like in the Pokemon universe?

Started by TAS_1KBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 18
Views: 2570
Last post August 09, 2024 @636.71
by Nikodile
Web design is fashion design ?? Your thoughts on self expression online?

Started by MelooonBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 2684
Last post August 31, 2023 @620.49
by technomage

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi