Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @32.77 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 43/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Nekoweb, a Neocities Alternative

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Nekoweb, a Neocities Alternative  (Read 534 times)
Bede
Full Member ⚓︎

Your friendly neighborhood boygirl!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: azure
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024 @920.91 »

I made an article directly comparing the pros and cons of Nekoweb vs Neocities a while ago! The TLDR is that Neocities has better social aspects (and features to match, like shadowbanning (ugh) and built-in RSS), is well-established, and is not in development, while Nekoweb has more active owners, allows more file types for free, has a cheaper subscription service, has a better HTML editor, and disallows more controversial content (namely, fictionalized sexual content involving or appearing to involve minors).

EDIT: Ha, looks like someone already shared my article!! Thank you @Daryl Sun :transport: I'll keep this up for the TLDR though :3
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024 @928.38 by Bede » Logged

CELEBRATE THE REJECTS, EVISCERATE THE PRESETS ⋆。˚

oerrorpage
Casual Poster ⚓︎

iMood: oerrorpsades

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2024 @18.80 »

Try using an alphanumeric password. If it still doesn't work, email the dev: https://ichi.city/help

nop, "Forbidden - CSRF token not found in request" and got a mail fail when i emailed the dev.

de idiot of dis 4um
oerrorpage
Casual Poster ⚓︎

iMood: oerrorpsades

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024 @106.16 »

the email i just spelled wrong. i just emailed them.

de idiot of dis 4um
LegenDarius
Newbie ⚓︎

Darius is an idea, but there is no real me

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024 @684.54 »

I made an article directly comparing the pros and cons of Nekoweb vs Neocities a while ago! The TLDR is that Neocities has better social aspects (and features to match, like shadowbanning (ugh) and built-in RSS), is well-established, and is not in development, while Nekoweb has more active owners, allows more file types for free, has a cheaper subscription service, has a better HTML editor, and disallows more controversial content (namely, fictionalized sexual content involving or appearing to involve minors).

EDIT: Ha, looks like someone already shared my article!! Thank you @Daryl Sun :transport: I'll keep this up for the TLDR though :3

Congratulations on the article! Probably THE resource for those wanting to choose which of the two sites to put their primary efforts in or subscribe to. I do agree that Neocities does have the major social media advantage and therefore following people is much more important on Neocities because you see updates. Nekoweb doesn't have user profiles to see site updates and followings as far as I know. And yeah either way, Nekoweb and Neocities are both cool and it's a win for all of us!
Kallistero
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SOON.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2024 @650.53 »

, while Nekoweb has more active owners,

The chief difference in the long run may be this. Neocities is more or less a one-man show! As it is, the platform lives and falls with Kyle, while Nekoweb is a team effort from the start. This makes it to where Nekoweb has the potential to outlast Neocities. Albeit, depending on the Nekoweb growth model, this may also make Nekoweb more likely to suffer from commercialization creep, because while Neocities offers comfortable financial support for its owner without needing any sponsorships or mandatory usage fees, the makers of Nekoweb have to eat, too.

If the Nekoweb team grew to, say, 20 members, then not all of them could be full-time while also covering living expenses. The model just hasn't seemed able to support that, even moreso now that there's more direct competition in the space. Now, this may be terribly unlikely, considering Kyle himself occasionally indulges in his other work & so may not even be full-time himself on Neocities all the time. 20 people seems like an absurd staff count for the site's current goals, unless they need that many to feed all the cats?  :eyes:

Having seen some of Kyle's other projects and writings, the existence of Nekoweb may be a sort of godsend for him. Its creators seem to be true believers who have the skills, a pool of possible successors, should he want Neocities (or at least a service that does what Neocities does) to outlast him. This whole thing has the potential to be a good thing for everyone, and it's great to see that everyone seems supportive from the start!  :transport:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024 @661.56 by Kallistero » Logged

No pomegranates. If anyone messages me, and I found out they're a pomegranate, I will ask them to leave! :angry:
bees
Casual Poster ⚓︎

iMood: lobb

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024 @785.59 »

Can anyone confirm if storage in Nekoweb is unlimited or not? That sounds really promising to me! I don't think anything I've made would bump up against Neocities' limit but just in case, y'know.

Kolo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: kolo

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024 @849.28 »

Can anyone confirm if storage in Nekoweb is unlimited or not? That sounds really promising to me! I don't think anything I've made would bump up against Neocities' limit but just in case, y'know.

Looks like it's 500MB for free accounts and 20GB for $3 (most expensive) tier accounts, nothing unlimited, per the donate page. There's also a file limit; 5,000 for free and 100,000 for $3 but I can't imagine most people bumping up into that one!

⋆。˚⋆.°˖✧ but even in a box am i dreaming / of a galaxy of stars above my ceiling ✧˖°.⋆ ˚。⋆

icon by dovalore
bees
Casual Poster ⚓︎

iMood: lobb

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2024 @978.22 »

Thank you for the info, that's good to know!

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2024 @321.13 »

make Nekoweb more likely to suffer from commercialization creep, because while Neocities offers comfortable financial support for its owner without needing any sponsorships or mandatory usage fees, the makers of Nekoweb have to eat, too.

This may be interesting to some here so I wanna pick that up and include some info (I am active on Nekowebs Discord), and last time it was asked, it was said Nekoweb is profitable and safe already. :smile: I mean, of course intense user growth could change that, but that takes time anyway and then things can be adjusted for that. All in all, it has the potential to stay niche, I think, because even with how "big" Neocities has gotten, it is still relatively unknown to most, if you ask people, so other hosters get even less attention. And so far, the policy has been to just monetize what puts big(ger) strain on servers/resources, so some stuff has also been released for the free tier despite being a little extra or a good opportunity to monetize. There seems to be no pressure to make (more) money and it's a good hobby/portfolio project for the creators as well, I think.

Since the subscription runs off of Patreon, you can also see how many subscribers they have at a time, though of course not which tier. According to Dimden, 3% of the users are currently subscribers.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024 @684.28 by shevek » Logged

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I need help with neocities

Started by Kane VirkutisBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1304
Last post February 25, 2022 @609.50
by Melooon
Where are IPFS backups on Neocities? ANSWERED!

Started by ellievoyydBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 3
Views: 1749
Last post March 17, 2022 @162.86
by PAINTKILLER
Neocities on Polygon!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 9
Views: 1897
Last post June 18, 2023 @827.12
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi