Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @127.05 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Work

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Work  (Read 624 times)
« on: February 06, 2023 @508.83 »

Hey there,

I realize this might be odd, but I actually do enjoy going to work right now. I have started a new job last Tuesday, and I feel like generally my life has gotten more organized, I get up at a healthy time instead of in the afternoons, I talk to my colleagues, and just being able to say "I'll be at work tomorrow" makes me feel like such an adult, haha.

I get free coffee, free lunch, an office for myself, and I get paid.

Of course I'm not abandoning my thoughts when it comes to opposing wage labour, but just for me, my own little life here right now, I am somewhat happier with my situation than being unemployed.:evil:
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023 @579.33 »

I had that thought in my job last year, even though in hindsight, I should've got more vacation days. (Almost burnout :happy:smile:. However, my last job was horrible. Nobody trusted me, they talked behind my back about the things I did wrong but never told me so I could like FIX THEM or something, and then randomly just fired me very angrily. I was already crying in the job bathroom a week before this event so I totally didn't like it there and was only relieved to be out. I won't say I didn't make any mistakes, but surely the number of those mistakes would've been less had they actually talked to me about them. As it turns out, small local businesses are way worse than bigger ones as they have no HR to speak of (plus obviously they were understaffed).

In any case, I hope they wanna hire me back at the old job soon (I know they liked me, they said so to me many times).
TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023 @651.75 »

I'm so glad you're liking your situation! Everyone has the right to support themselves and feel useful, so I don't think it's contradictory or abandoning your values by liking your job. Some jobs actually don't suck! (I like mine too, we're treated really well :4u:smile:

@Cele: I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Toxicity has been a big part of my experience with small companies too, for the same reasons (no HR and not beholden to the same laws). I tell myself that surely there are exceptions, but it's something to be aware of when looking. I hope your future jobs go much better!

Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023 @827.16 »

I don't think it's odd at all to enjoy your job! I was enjoying my last one a lot despite it being a rough, barely-above-minimum wage job that involved a lot of physical labor. At least until my boss started doing things that revealed how inconsiderate and narcissistic she was... not exactly the kind of person you want to be working under. Especially when it's 98 degrees (F) out and she's busy spreading germs all over the only air-conditioned rooms in the workplace with her newfound virus she didn't bother staying home for.. uh.. Where was I?..

Something about being all achey by the end of the day from all the work I did feels really nice to me.. I've got plans to become a plumber's apprentice when my life stops being quite so chaotic. Residential plumbing might be one of the most looked down upon careers in current American society (which is stupid for multiple reasons), but a job that involves both physical work and frequent problem-solving sounds perfect for me. There's also little to no monotony overall, which is another problem I had with my old one eventually.. we were all forced to be stuck with a few specific tasks not too long before half of the staff was canned. Tell me to do the same exact thing every day and I'll actually start shutting down to the point where I can't even speak properly.

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023 @326.56 »

I GOT A CALL FROM THE OLD PLACE! For a different task, but still. Let's see how it goes, I have a discussion about it on Friday.
Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023 @481.94 »

Business is important. It's necessary to think about these money things. If our life would be a video game, this would be the meta thing to look for (unless you're rich already), even for the scrappiest anarchist. Has to pay his rent too. Sure, life was easier as a child. The mind had more room to circle around. But if the workplace is fine, it shouldn't consume you too much. At least that's my expectation.

My small company example:
Previous workplace in a small family company failed because of this little son of the boss could behave like a son of a b... well then you know, it's not your game that's worth winning.
Incest phenomenon in the family company there.
First generation has the bite to build up a buisness.
Second generation can afford to mediocre.
Third gen, completly uninterested in the topic, but feels an obligation to take over the company in some years. Should really, hand on heart, reject his parents business and do something completly different. But is mentally too weak and dependant on the family. This will ruin the company 100% if no proper decision is made there, because it gets on all the other employees nerves, to have to deal with people who can behave like "the axe in the forest" without consequences.

Despite these troubles, the small team was very efficent to work with. It all depends on the people. One ass ruins everything, if you don't have the room to get some "professional" distance inbetween. The only solution is to look elsewhere, if that problem can't be solved. It sounds like you guys really suffer for too long in bad circumstances. There have to be options out there, even in the niche.

Just a tiny little detail, and this story could have gone completly different. Little boy wanted to go to Australia, work and travel, find some inspiration. But no, those plans were turned to dust with the major lockdowns. So the guy was bored and came back to the family company, to be bored there. So I quit after two years of having a good time there.

My best job was the least well paid job unfortuneatly, as a bicycle courier with a purple women's bicycle from the scrapyard in the cheapest possible city around here. After "paid sport" as I called it, I got behind my computer and started to program for 8 hours straight like a maniac. Wasn't well thought enough unfortuneatly (I blame it on the forced health insurance) so I was broke after two years, but what a gold combination: sport and programming at the same time!

Business is really more fun than a strategy game.
Cele

any way the wind blows

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023 @521.91 »

Awh it seems I will be going back to my old workplace :ozwomp: Basically we help run the public health care services. I think it's important work.

I also really want to earn money because I want to buy my own apartment so I don't have to be at the mercy of landlords/ladies, even though my current ones are nice and I don't really have a problem with them as people.

Also, thank you TheFrugalGamer for your kind words.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

HIRA's VSynth Works

Started by KAFKAPOLISBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 13
Views: 2329
Last post July 04, 2023 @605.29
by KAFKAPOLIS
memo's sketches and works

Started by memoBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 3
Views: 838
Last post October 06, 2022 @375.51
by memo
! ( how to get websites working on DSi? )

Started by JackFrostBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 7
Views: 719
Last post January 18, 2023 @922.37
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi