Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 25, 2024 - @228.25 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 42/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  Website Interactivity - Favorite implementations, suggestions, maybe more?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Website Interactivity - Favorite implementations, suggestions, maybe more?  (Read 705 times)
schiavona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Let's get real weird with it!

StatusCafe: schiavona
iMood: schiavona

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« on: January 30, 2024 @689.93 »

Recently I've been thinking about ways to make my site a little more interactive (and hopefully fun!) after doing a bunch of personality quizzes and thinking it'd be a neat idea to host a few of my own on Crystalline Fortress. I also thought it might be a fun idea to experiment with a little text adventure as well, but that will probably come when I can commit to it. I thought maybe fun, interactive stuff might be a decent topic to bring here, so with that in mind, I'm gonna pose a couple of questions for y'all.

• What's YOUR favorite fun little interactive website things?
  • Are you planning on implementing one or more fun little interactive website things? If you already have, tell us about it!
  • If you have implemented a fun little interactive thing, any advice you want to share?

As previously stated, I'm a big fan of personality quizzes, but I'm also very fond of virtual pets as far as fun interactive website elements go.

<>|==================> Oh look I found my cool sword!
Salty
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Internet Renaissance Woman

StatusCafe: saltedslug
iMood: saltedslug

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024 @769.02 »

I. My favorite interactive website things are definitely image hover effects! I love when my cursor accidentally goes over an image and it spins around and gets big or whatever. It sends a nice little shot of happy chemicals to my brain. I also love to find hidden pages and features through whatever means!

II. I always want more interactive stuff on my website without breaking peoples' browsers. I keep a list in my site notebook of all the interactive things I want to add to the site. :evil:

III. My advice is to make sure your CSS animations are well-written and aren't redundant! If they get too out of control you might be cranking up peoples' browser RAM usage, which can cripple a laptop's battery life or a lower-end PC.

bingus_baby
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024 @906.10 »

1. I definitely like personality quizzes. Always have, always will. (I was devastated when I found out Quizilla shut down.) I like the smaller ones, since it's easier to enjoy on a. site when I'm just passing though and not spending a lot of time there.

2. I myself wanted to try a text adventure, I just never had the time to write it all out. Right now I have a scavenger hunt, where the user hunts for hidden links on my site and collects site buttons based on each character they find. The rules are on my site.

3. Not really. I guess just be organized! Interactive pages can take up lots of assets and site pages, so without proper organization it can get hard too manage.

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024 @173.45 »

I generally like hover effects! Unless they change the size of elements, which drives me bloody mad. I'm also a fan of little click effects, like the firework effect on my own site.

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024 @386.19 »

I like when there's a comment box. I've been trying to get one for my website that doesn't use an external website for hosting etc but I haven't been able to figure it out  :sad:

:4u:
Gloogo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Today's milk is tomorrow's Gatorade.

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: gloogo
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024 @310.74 »

The only real interactive element of my site is a little animated cursor picker (attached), but that was pretty fun to make! I've seen a few people have different types of interactable pets or avatars that wander the screen. I like seeing different takes on that.  :smile:

One thing I've played around with (but haven't fully added yet) is a ranked list/tier list page. The idea is that I post my ranking of a particular subject, and other people post their own and can discuss differences.

* Screenshot 2024-02-09 221041.png (5.91 kB, 165x173 - viewed 11 times.)

schiavona
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Let's get real weird with it!

StatusCafe: schiavona
iMood: schiavona

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024 @729.59 »

1. I definitely like personality quizzes. Always have, always will. (I was devastated when I found out Quizilla shut down.) I like the smaller ones, since it's easier to enjoy on a. site when I'm just passing though and not spending a lot of time there.

Quizilla my beloved, gone far too soon for this world. UQuiz hits a lot of the same spots, but I'm devastated there's no way to embed results on your own site. (I don't remember if Quizilla ever did, it's been so long). Good to know there's probably an upper limit on how many questions should be in a quiz though. What would you consider an upper limit? I think once you get past 15 questions things might be a little excessive.

III. My advice is to make sure your CSS animations are well-written and aren't redundant! If they get too out of control you might be cranking up peoples' browser RAM usage, which can cripple a laptop's battery life or a lower-end PC.

See I didn't even know CSS animations were a thing you could do, I thought that was all JavaScript witchcraft. Still, definitely a good thing to know if that's ever intended to be implemented anywhere. Thanks for the heads up!

The only real interactive element of my site is a little animated cursor picker (attached), but that was pretty fun to make! I've seen a few people have different types of interactable pets or avatars that wander the screen. I like seeing different takes on that.  :smile:

One thing I've played around with (but haven't fully added yet) is a ranked list/tier list page. The idea is that I post my ranking of a particular subject, and other people post their own and can discuss differences.

Whoa, that cursor picker is so cool! I'll have to check your site out and try it out for myself.

<>|==================> Oh look I found my cool sword!
TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024 @781.63 »

1) I personally like these little images/buttons which make a sound or cast an effect whenever clicked upon, without transferring you into another page or something similar. Just clickable things! Quizzes and various mini games are also great. I recall one site that had fake Steam achievements you could win by interacting with various contents of the site. It was really cool! :omg:

2) On my site, I have implemented one somewhat secret mini game which evolves petting a dog by clicking on it (I would have linked it, but it's secret!). I don't know whether my hover effects count as interactive.

3) Hmm... I guess I could suggest that if your site is still on its early stages and want to have something done, you could focus on making interactive elements after you finish the more important parts of your site. If you prefer the other way round, well, I can't stop you. :ok:

The only real interactive element of my site is a little animated cursor picker (attached), but that was pretty fun to make!

Yooo this is awesome!! I have never seen interactive cursors in a site before! It's such a nice touch! :ha:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
bingus_baby
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Baby of the bingus...

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024 @683.18 »

What would you consider an upper limit?
For me I think what matters is less so the amount of questions, but the length of them. Generally I enjoy a longer quiz with shorter questions rather than a really short but wordy one. It just keeps things moving! And also makes sure that the result isn't determined only by a few questions.

wetnoodle
Jr. Member ⚓︎

a silly lil goose

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024 @896.34 »

Huge fan of hover effects, the text hover effect on my site definitely needs some optimizing  :ohdear: but I love the way it looks :ozwomp: I also just added a interactive typewriter for making lil notes or sketches!

Like these!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 59
Views: 5425
Last post March 30, 2024 @910.61
by Semper
What are some of your favorite 404 pages?

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 14
Views: 3119
Last post April 13, 2024 @766.34
by oerrorpage
[Open Call] Favorite Recipes

Started by NightdriftBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 4
Views: 1649
Last post December 16, 2021 @301.70
by cinni

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi