Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @487.58 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 36/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  A new year for your website journey - what will it hold?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A new year for your website journey - what will it hold?  (Read 578 times)
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: November 09, 2023 @742.94 »

The year is coming to a close pretty soon! I know it seems early, but time is running when you don't look.

For what changed throughout the year, we have Your Website Year in Review.

But what do you think will happen to your website(s) next year? Anything you're waiting to tackle? Anything you're starting or ending next year that will probably affect how you work on your website or what you add to it?
Maybe you'll have less time, more time?

In my case, I hope I will finally be done with my two main websites so they can rest a bit and be updated periodically; what will be active instead are blog entries about my feelings, about continuing to build my toybrick castle, modding the Steam deck, my venture into programming and doing things like The Odin Project or Linux From Scratch, for fun.

But I won't abandon website making! I will finally continue working on a fansite for a video game series I like! That one will serve as a playground and practice for a lot of frontend stuff I don't tend to use on my existing sites, and that go a bit against the grain of the typical retro looking web revival pages and its dislike of things that are not supported in older browsers. I will try to build something a bit more commercialized - not because I plan on monetizing anything, but to practice how it is to create a site not only for me, but mainly for an audience with what is expected nowadays for that - JavaScript, fancy libraries, animations etc. and hopefully, near perfect mobile optimization and accessibility. It will be a learning opportunity and somewhat of a portfolio piece.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023 @782.89 »

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but my main site has mostly been at a standstill for 2023, aside from a few additions as cosmetic tweaks, it is largely unchanged from this time last year; that happens and it's not unexpected cus 2021 and 22 saw vast changes on the site over and over.

That is mostly down to having run out of material (for the time being) and having a huge backlog of other projects including this forum that took up months this year. I even had the terrible experience of seeing someone include my site on a list called "classics of neocities".. like ok I'm not in the retirement home yet  :drat:

I think I could spend most of 2024 just finishing backlog projects from this year, but I do have a few specifics I wanna add to my home site!
  • Photo albums with highlight pictures from the last 10 years
  • Expand the point n click story on my main page
  • A dedicated page for early melon info (Aka my 2006 Project Melon stuff)
  • A new section for home movies
  • A section for inspiration/idea material I collect
  • A shrine dedicated to the 2008 iPhone Orcerina app
  • An archive of public domain scans (may become a separate site)
  • Some new blog entries I'm half done writing!

Professional site:
  • I'm gonna add a whole big new list of projects and sites that's easier to navigate

Non-homepage projects in the works for late 23/2024
  • More improvements to PixelSea (Prob coming very soon)
  • A new software! (Coming this month)
  • A surf mode for the surf club
  • A new site for providing starter templates
  • A new zine!
  • A small selection of handmade collectable models and e-models as well as a site to house them!
  • A narrative-centric adventure game made in Godot featuring Ozwompish things
  • Some expanded 3D animations based on drafts I did this summer
  • Prob some arty stuff like prints I can put in a show etc
  • More??

Thats all I can think of right now! Ill update if I think of more!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023 @121.12 »

what do you think will happen to your website(s) next year? Anything you're waiting to tackle? Anything you're starting or ending next year that will probably affect how you work on your website or what you add to it?
I hope that I have more time... Which is kind of selfish considering I have all the time in the world :D But I mean brain time. I want to make more room for web crafting. I haven't done it in a while due to focusing on other projects, and the fact that the start of November signals my OFF period usually LOL. There's just something so relaxing about the end of the year that I just don't wanna do anything...

But ideally, I'd like to get all my pages done. I'm just being lazy. I restarted, bought a domain and moved my site off neocities. Made the splash screen, homepage, and about... And that's it! I need more pages! I want to truly carve my own space, and to not try to fit in.

I'm wishing you luck with your coming changes <3
larvapuppy
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023 @138.39 »

Since I don't have any big ideas or motivation for new content at the moment, I think my next project will be to make my website mobile-friendly and add some accessibility features like gif pausing. I'm still early in my coding journey so I think an added bonus of taking on these tasks is that I'll learn a lot from them.

the end of an era, one starts anew
TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

StatusCafe: thenothingmonster
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023 @457.95 »

I will certainly have less time to update my main site the following year, although it is all up to whether I make new art or not. This site is about my art, so if I don't make anything special I want to display online, there won't be any new changes. I am unsure whether there will be any other kind of updates. I'll see!

There's also another site I've been working on since last year but it doesn't seem like it's going to get released any time soon... or even at all. :ok: Nonetheless, I work on it at my own pace.

I reckon 2024 will be kind of similar to the current year for my sites. A bit sluggish without many groundbreaking updates, that is, unless some muse decides to bless me out of the blue. :innocent:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daryl Sun
Casual Poster ⚓︎

XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023 @571.49 »

But what do you think will happen to your website(s) next year? Anything you're waiting to tackle? Anything you're starting or ending next year that will probably affect how you work on your website or what you add to it?

I think I might have less time for webcrafting next year, depending on whatever projects I'll have to tackle at work. However, I still have plenty of ideas for my blog: I want to add more fun pages, like a digital garden or fan shrines! So I plan to manage my free time wisely.

Mo/Otto
Casual Poster ⚓︎

they/them, ecto/ect

StatusCafe: cloudydusk
iMood: cloudydusk

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023 @650.81 »

A lot of this year was dedicated to fleshing out my personal site and getting my art site just barely functional. I'll probably switch next year, prioritizing making OC profiles for my art site and giving my personal site smaller updates when I can. I've also been thinking about changing my art username, but I'm notoriously bad with coming up with usernames, and I've kept the current one for a while. Who knows.

pebble

View Profile

Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023 @576.50 »

I finally got my main site to where I'm mostly happy with it (there are a few pages that need finished, but nothing major) so I think I'd like to spend 2024 getting my shrine pages finished. They had started out as simple little fanpages, but have quickly grown to the point of being basically mini-websites of their own. One of them is getting big enough I'm tempted to just make it its own site at this point. The problem is that they're all only about half done, and a few just have the basic structure for the pages but without any content on them yet. They take so much research and writing and are just overall very time-consuming, so I've admittedly been procrastinating getting them done. This next year I'd like to focus mainly on that. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have it finished and be ready to move onto a new project for my site! :)
itspencilz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023 @812.21 »

I mainly built my website to be used as a portfolio to showcase my illustrations, comics, and other art projects, but there's still some extra stuff I wanted to incorporate into it eventually, not sure what yet. Maybe little shrines or collections pages, just something fun and decorative.

Vroom vroom
Rrim0
Casual Poster ⚓︎

StatusCafe: rrimo

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!Joined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023 @788.13 »

[WHOOPS, It seems like I first posted this under the wrong topic. That teaches me not to leave more tabs open  :drat: ]

I'm finally at a point where I'm satisfied with my website layout! Hooray! It took me about three months to lay out the base and understand how to make everything organized and sustainable to me, but now I'm ready to fill the pages! Ehehe  :evil:

So for next year the plan is

• Figuring how to balance my sketch dump posts (casual posts where I put random sketches, mostly in chronological order, to keep in mind my progress + the tools I used + some thoughts about my web crafting journey in general) and my gallery, where I'd like to showcase more curated pieces.
  • Expand my gallery. A LOT.
  • Write some posts about my drawing progress. The first will probably be posted at the end of this year. I plan to do a retrospective of the beginning of my "artistic" journey.
  • Learn how to take decent photos of my drawings. (mission: impossible)
  • Add a section to my links page where I post all my favourite Eurovision songs... yes.... my holy grail...
  • Washi tapes collection page!

Not strictly web-crafting related goals, but it will have an impact on my website:

• try out pixel art
  • learn how to draw landscapes and trees (I just want to draw landscapes, man...)
  • go around and do some urban sketching
  • learn basic JavaScript

My overall goal is: update my site less frequently, but update it with way more drawings.
That was my aim since the beginning!

( ̄▽ ̄)ノ
virtue
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023 @837.72 »

I intend to completely redesign my website from the ground up because its extremely inefficient and an all around pain in the ass to work with right now. So, hopefully I'll actually get that done at some point next year. I've also been thinking about repurposing the website in its current state as a gemini capsule, so there's that too.

I <3 RANDOM MESSAGES!!!
Nickolox
Casual Poster ⚓︎

The Lord of Waluigis

StatusCafe: nickolox

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2023 @873.46 »

Oh man, what will the new year hold... lots hopefully!
I've still got LOTS of ideas on the (literal) cork-board, I'm hoping to get them all done!
I've been working through a site revamp atm too, so hopefully I'll be able to finish that AND get some new pages up and running...
365 days to do that is pretty generous so I think I could do it!  :ozwomp:

The only major roadblock is that I'm starting a job very soon so,,, won't have ALL the time in the world unfortunately...
But I think I can make do, and infact that'll probably give me more motivation more than anything  :ok:

wah :)
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2024 @158.44 »

So far, I think a lot of my site has been adding new pages and sections, so in 2024 I'd like to revamp what I already have and flesh out my already existing pages and sections. For one, a lot of this stuff has been the same or mostly the same since the beginning of my site, so I think it only makes sense that I go through and see if I want to redo some existing pages—the first big one I'm thinking of is my iPod page. Perhaps I could redo it in the style of a webshrine rather than just a purely information collection page? Shrines are the main way I want my site to grow this year, since I feel like there's a good few things I enjoy I could make into pages. I also want to write some more personal essays or poems or whatnot and post them to my site—I think I could put a whole bunch of cool stuff on my writing page! But I think I'm moreso going to be curating my existing pages rather than accumulating in this new year. (Is February too late to make site-building New Year's resolutions?)

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2024 @491.24 »

I've fixed up my website quite since 2024 started, most importantly i started using bashblog as my means of posting to the website, as for my plans for the future, i would really love to port my current website to the gemini and gopher protocols (bashblog already posts my writings to my gopher and gemini
directories so no need to worry about those). other than that i've had ideas of a general gallery where i post whatever seems fitting for my website, but nothing concrete yet.

I have no idea what I’m doing.
Paprika
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Go to the tanterwomps for they are lost in time

View Profile WWW

Giver of Many Welcomes!Joined 2024!
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024 @847.51 »

My site will be one-year-old in April 2024. I have a long history about blogs and websites. For many years I tried a ton of things, Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr, Write.as, etc. If it exists, I probably tried something.

The issue is that I always tried to be marketable, easy to share. I wanted likes, reblogs or whatever. I felt like I needed to be recognized and admired to be valuable. But I always, always gave up after 4 to 6 months. Posted a ton over the course of a few months and then it died, like always.

I often felt bad and frustrated. Then I discovered MelonLand and through MelonLand, NeoCities. I thought for a while about starting something but hesitated a lot since I had to build everything from scratch and I knew barely anything about HTML and CSS. Then I stumbled upon SadGrl's blog with her free templates and decided that I'd give it a try. The biggest fear was about the content. I didn't knew what to do and how but I started.

Now it"s been more than 9 months and I'm still spectacularly productive but most importantly : I'm having fun. NeoCities allow me to do whatever I want with my blog. I can round the corners, put pixel art mouse icons, use eyestrain colors and it will work. It helped me to think about the "why" I was trying to make a website/blog in the first place and being free from social media, likes, shares, etc is really sweet. I hope it will stay for a long time, I want the blog to grow wild like an untamed forest full of things I like. I'm curious to see where I'll be in one year but it sounds promising and I don't want to give up anytime soon.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Forum feature requests and Ideas

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 243
Views: 20422
Last post March 05, 2024 @666.35
by grubbyfox
xX Welcome to the Forum & Rules Xx

Replies: 0
Views: 5320
Last post November 14, 2021 @627.84
by Melooon
How to use a forum?! - A guide for those who have forgotten/never knew!

Replies: 2
Views: 3293
Last post April 22, 2023 @739.62
by Aloe

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi