Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @647.65 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 52/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games
| | | |-+  Memories and food

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Memories and food  (Read 1392 times)
myry
Casual Poster ⚓︎

let's get groovy, mate

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: July 09, 2022 @757.97 »

Do you have any distinct foods that remind you of a certain memory? Or the other way round, where a memory reminds you of some specific food? I feel like a lot of foods are tied to memories for me, especially with media, like these certain heart-shaped chips make me always think about one summer almost ten years ago when I was playing Mirror's Edge, and eating raw cookie dough makes me think about Hollow Knight lol. A combination of chocolate milk and buttery toast makes me think of this one time I was at my friend's place (we always ate that there) when she spilled all the chocolate milk because she tried to talk and drink it at the same time :grin: Like she forgot she had her mouth full of milk and tried to say something... Just another little funny memory from ten years ago.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022 @967.36 »

Ooo this is a good one!

There is a certain... style of food that always reminds me of when I first was in university and had to lay low and crash for over a year on a friend's kitchen couch (1 room apartment). We were lazy and broke so we did all kinds of cursed stuff during that time: rice with TONS of tomato paste for the cheap flavor, cheap pasta with pureed tomatoes with pepper, cumin and badly diced onions as a sauce. Raw white bread with cheap vegan spreads from the store across the street with diet coke or plastic bottled water. Instant noodles from the Syrian store in the city.

That always gets me. Poverty-core, or something. Lmao.

Of course, everything that my mother cooks and I can't replicate (due to lack of skill or motivation) always reminds me of home.
myry
Casual Poster ⚓︎

let's get groovy, mate

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022 @411.01 »

Ooo this is a good one!

There is a certain... style of food that always reminds me of when I first was in university and had to lay low and crash for over a year on a friend's kitchen couch (1 room apartment). We were lazy and broke so we did all kinds of cursed stuff during that time: rice with TONS of tomato paste for the cheap flavor, cheap pasta with pureed tomatoes with pepper, cumin and badly diced onions as a sauce. Raw white bread with cheap vegan spreads from the store across the street with diet coke or plastic bottled water. Instant noodles from the Syrian store in the city.

That always gets me. Poverty-core, or something. Lmao.

Of course, everything that my mother cooks and I can't replicate (due to lack of skill or motivation) always reminds me of home.

Poverty-core LMAO. Student meals are notoriously a bit cursed for sure. My cousin said that during his college years tuna was super cheap, so he just ate macaroni with tuna like every single day. Every time I see the little tuna cans at the store, it reminds me of that lol.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022 @589.97 »

Poverty-core LMAO. Student meals are notoriously a bit cursed for sure. My cousin said that during his college years tuna was super cheap, so he just ate macaroni with tuna like every single day. Every time I see the little tuna cans at the store, it reminds me of that lol.

That's so good! Tuna is also super healthy. If I ate meat I'd definitely get stuffed with tuna daily.
ArtisTheFox
Casual Poster

Hi! I'm Artis, a dark soul with a kind heart

SpaceHey: Friend Me!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022 @743.50 »

oh yeah! once i was watching a minecraft video where the two guys were acting like an earthquake happened in-game. they then walked around to look at the damage done to their builds. it's probably laughably unbelievable now (doesn't make it a bad video though!) but i 100% believed that minecraft earthquakes were a thing and that they weren't acting. that video captivated me, and the first time i watched it, i was eating really FAT sandwiches of hazelnut spread with pieces of chocolate bars and slices of banana on them. a real sugar bomb. and it was damn delicious. i think i was 11.

i still eat hazelnut spread with banana pieces but not as monstruously overloaded

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022 @778.04 »

oh yeah! once i was watching a minecraft video where the two guys were acting like an earthquake happened in-game. they then walked around to look at the damage done to their builds. it's probably laughably unbelievable now (doesn't make it a bad video though!) but i 100% believed that minecraft earthquakes were a thing and that they weren't acting.

Oh that doesn't have to have been a fake video! There were and are wild mods for that game. Weather 2 for example adds actual tornados that also make blocks fly around, it's super cool!

There's also an earthquake one I think.
ArtisTheFox
Casual Poster

Hi! I'm Artis, a dark soul with a kind heart

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022 @870.56 »

oh yeah! once i was watching a minecraft video where the two guys were acting like an earthquake happened in-game. they then walked around to look at the damage done to their builds. it's probably laughably unbelievable now (doesn't make it a bad video though!) but i 100% believed that minecraft earthquakes were a thing and that they weren't acting.

Oh that doesn't have to have been a fake video! There were and are wild mods for that game. Weather 2 for example adds actual tornados that also make blocks fly around, it's super cool!

There's also an earthquake one I think.

i mean the guys were acting like they didn't know what was going on while it was definitely planned :smile:

ggnonicon
Casual Poster

smush the eyelid

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022 @640.89 »

Ooh!!! I have a lot of these connections and I think a lot about food and eating... I feel like I don't usually remember what the connections are unless I'm in the moment, cuz I think they change sometimes...

One thing I can remember is like, a very particular type of cheap pizza flavor... Where the tomato sauce is really sweet and the cheese kinda sucks... Sometimes it pops up when eating certain things and it often reminds me of when I was little and would eat those square Kid Cuisine things...

Oh! And mozzarella sticks... Tend to remind me of a time where my dad and I were watching ':grin:omg: You Want to be a Millionaire' (its a dated game show where you have to answer questions correctly) and I had been guessing the questions wrong, mom came by to give me mozzarella sticks and i hadn't felt like eating but begrudgingly accepted. My dad was telling me eating helps your brain in his half-true-half-persuasion way, so I gobbled them down. And was able to answer the next question correctly (it was about what color smurfs are) and ofc at that point I was convinced the mozzarella sticks made me smarter.  :wink:
Riqo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Guess what I wear as a hat .. an eyeball!

iMood: nasunikki

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023 @258.98 »

I can't really think of much at the moment .. Honestly I associate smells a lot more with memories than flavors! :omg:

There is this one brand of ramen with a black bean flavor that I first tried when playing a Roblox game with my best friend at the time! The game was about playing as a sea creature and surviving! I can vividly remember that when I was eating the noodles, I was digging tons of tunnels into the ocean floor :ok: It was lots of fun with my friend! She moved away years and years ago .. Each time I think of this memory, I remember her! It's really neat how you can associate certain things so strongly with the memories you gather! :grin:

Have a nice dream ...
Bugless
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023 @512.26 »

I have a memory with french toast - I am a very heavy sleeper and hate waking up, especially when I was a teenager. I had one friend that I would stay over with sometimes, and every morning I stayed with her she would make french toast for us. I never ate it anywhere else, and I've hardly eaten it since. It used to make the mornings much brighter.
We are still friends but we live in different cities now so I don't get to see her much, but whenever i see or smell french toast its nice to get such a sweet (pun intended) memory c:

starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

is it any wonder that my mind's on fire?

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023 @553.84 »

Do you have any distinct foods that remind you of a certain memory? Or the other way round, where a memory reminds you of some specific food?

I fall into a mental time warp whenever I eat "curry" because that was one of the first things I ate when I visited Melbourne, Australia over 20 years ago to meet my wife for the first time. We had met in 2000 on a Yahoo! forum, but didn't meet in person until 2002. We only had a week together, but I didn't want to go back to the US. Nevertheless, we got together permanently and married in 2004.

rock operatic science fantasy and more...
(...all opinions mine unless attributed, and free to a good home...)
fatgrrlz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

She/They Girl-thing

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023 @801.98 »

Coconut chicken (more specifically, the one from the old Chinese place from where I used to live) reminds me of Mass Effect every time I eat it cause I ate it while beating the game while my girlfriend watched over Discord. This was when we were still in a LDR and hadn’t closed the gap yet, and Mass Effect is one of her favorite games so it is special to me :3 It had this weird saccharine taste to it, very coconut-y but very sweet. They also had some of the best fried rice I’ve ever had.

Playing Mario Tennis: Power Tour on the GBA reminds me a lot of sweet tea. I remember being a little kid and during one hot summer, I was getting through the one big tourney in the game. I wanted to charge my GBA, but I also wanted a nice cold drink, and my parents banned us from taking any food or drinks beyond the kitchen. So there I was, age seven or whatever, bunched up against the kitchen island with the sole free outlet, sipping on my iced tea in a little reused glass Kraft Pimento jar as a cup while crunching on some Snyder of Berlin BBQ chips and playing video games.

night-at-the-musian
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rule 1: Throw the bone!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2023 @816.49 »

For me, it's chocolate Frosties. My grandfather would take us to Wendy's often as kids, and I'd ask for one. After he died, I didn't have one for a good four years. It wasn't until college that I got to have one again, and it immediately reminded me of him and the time I spent with him. I'm still looking for a good copycat recipe so I can make them at home.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023 @819.03 by night-at-the-musian » Logged

Tiny Roman Appreciator

Darmodej

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2023 @846.61 »

mom used to make this kinda burrito like things with ground beef and rice inside them they were pretty cool

ano, ja jsem on
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

If you had the ability to eat anything, what would be your new favorite food?

Started by Icey!Board ☕︎ ∙ Fun & Forum Games

Replies: 29
Views: 2971
Last post November 07, 2023 @809.28
by Capybara
Memories and old save games

Started by MelooonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 893
Last post February 24, 2022 @952.95
by Melooon
A cool avatar site (andypants.net)

Started by SilkSkullBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 17
Views: 1542
Last post April 01, 2023 @105.91
by SilkSkull

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi