Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @69.57 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  lightchat

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: lightchat  (Read 405 times)
j
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: February 23, 2024 @636.33 »

i recently finished making lightchat, which is an alternative instant(ish?) messaging protocol succeeding my earlier project, chat2me, which was getting far too complicated for what it was!

i'm a fan of terminals over GUIs, but i've been working on a web client as the latter which looks like this.

the protocol is pretty different to chat2me's. all you need is the key for the server to be able to message - formats aren't standardized (so you don't even need to provide a username!). also, the entire chat file is served publicly - so anyone can get message history but can't post without a key - kind of like a forum. still, i'm looking forward to (hopefully) using this as my main digital communications medium for the rare instances i do.

if anyone's interested, you can find my email at sbcv.co.uk if you'd like the source code :P

i go by j, she/they :)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024 @566.96 »

Ah this is cool! I did promise people a forum chat system last year but IRC just didn't work out for us.

Maybe you'd be interested in colabing on one  :omg:

Primarily what Id like is:
  • A simple chat that is like a big version of the shoutbox and can be accessed via a terminal, a web interface and ideally a mobile-optimised web interface.
  • It should be able to sync with the shoutbox in some way.
  • It should only allow messages from logged-in forum members.
  • It should support links and forum-style emotes if possible.
  • It should just be very reliable and low maintenance.
  • Extra: It should allow each member to have their own room, that they can embed like an iframe.

I can provide you with a POST based api that will do things like - securely manage logins, get and send shoutbox messages, get member CSS and text styling so they can theme their room etc.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
j
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024 @460.67 »

thanks!

i'd love to collab on that! interdevice communication is a special interest of mine :)

i write all of my programs in plain C - are you happy with that? i also write all of my own libraries (for networking, io processing & validation etc.) - so you wouldn't need to install loads of dependencies.

not sure if you'd want to work on the front end? lightchat works by serving a closed connection HTTP file and then parsing a GET request (because HTML forms are a nightmare!) for a message. i could probably learn how to work with POST, though! :o

anyway, i'll start thinking about how i'll structure things and respond to this thread a little later once i figure things out!

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024 @998.04 »

This sounds cool! Can you get it anywhere?

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
j
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024 @450.32 »

This sounds cool! Can you get it anywhere?

all of the source code is available if you email me at jadepryvian+melonland@disroot.org!

you can use any stream-based socket binary as a client (tested with netcat on a RPi 0W running piCore 14.0); there's also a demo web interface i'm working on which i have the source for!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024 @469.17 by j » Logged

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024 @760.73 »

I'm excited to see the Web interface eventually! Hopefully that'll make it less difficult should I want to get my friends to switch to it. :)

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

j
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024 @506.93 »

I'm excited to see the Web interface eventually! Hopefully that'll make it less difficult should I want to get my friends to switch to it. :)

thanks! everything's nearly set up - just bug fixing atm!

i recently realized that my underlying networking library has a bug where it doesn't check to see if a peer is still connected when sending data which can crash the whole application :s

Quote from: Melooon
Ah this is cool! I did promise people a forum chat system last year but IRC just didn't work out for us.

i know i've already replied to this, but just updating that this is next on my programming to-do list!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi