Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @334.61 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 43/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  a wild jadefyre appears

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: a wild jadefyre appears  (Read 466 times)
jadefyre
Casual Poster ⚓︎

now that's something I can hyperfixate on

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: January 25, 2023 @198.46 »

Hello all :ha:

I've been lurking for a while, but decided that since my website is mostly functional now (mostly), I might as well join the conversation (:

I'm so glad to have found my way here through the (delightful) maze of webrings and personal websites I stumbled into a while ago when somebody linked to sadgrl's resources on Tumblr. The nostalgia hits particularly hard in the best way possible :4u:

I've been interested in making websites for as long as I've had access to the internet (circa age uhhh. 8?), and my first personal web space was a Guardians of Ga'Hoole fansite on Piczo. (Long shot that any of the old gang hangs around here, but if you do, hi from Gylfie!) I also used to run a Warrior Cats roleplay forum.

My first step away from that world was joining deviantART back in 2007.

I have a personal website under construction (when aren't they, though?) that I'll probably attach a custom domain to soon. It's currently at jadefyre.neocities.org and is boring as heck compared to some of the rad sites I've seen these past few days, but I'm looking forward to adding actual fun content soon! :omg:k:

Some Stuff I Like To Do
  • pixel art
  • sticker making (in the outernet. some of it is pixel art!)
  • play and/or make games of all kinds
  • read & write sci-fi and also fan work
  • fall into research rabbit holes and come out the other side with an associate's degree's worth of knowledge
  • acquire all the tools I need to get into a new hobby. this is in itself a hobby.
  • fibrecrafts like crochet, cross stitch, and embroidery
  • teach myself graphic design and use my skills for evil fun and occasionally profit
Some Stuff I Don't Like To Do
  • be succinct

Anyway! Thanks for accommodating my rambling. I look forward to rambling further and getting to know y'all :grin:

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023 @742.09 »

Hi Jade, welcome to the forum :4u:

This is a pleasantly written intro! DeviantArt back in the day definitely had a vibe, Im not sure the web will ever be like that again - but we can do our bit to make our own little vibe corners?

There's nothing quite like finding a really exciting academic paper that just totally changes your view of things :tongue: Whats your favourite sci-fi work?

Hope you enjoy your time here!

Ooo-- You've Received Melon's Welcome Pack --ooO
* If you haven't already check out the forum welcome post, and forum usage guide!
* New to website making? Here is a complete(ish) guide!
* Visit your look/layout to pick a theme and set a default colour/font for your messages!
* Feeling shy and unsure what to do? Maybe post a song you like here!
* Finally don't forget to share the forum and invite friends! We have some way cool graphics over here!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023 @754.92 »

Welcome!! Your stickers are awesome! :grin:

I got sucked into (and spat back out on the other side of) DeviantART too. (For anyone who wasn't there back in the 2000s, it was actually decent way-back-when. :eyes:smile:

jadefyre
Casual Poster ⚓︎

now that's something I can hyperfixate on

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023 @917.31 »

Thanks for the lovely welcome!

I'm glad you like my stickers, Onio :cheesy: thank you!

There's nothing quite like finding a really exciting academic paper that just totally changes your view of things :tongue: Whats your favourite sci-fi work?

For TV, I just watched The Expanse and absolutely fell in love with the worldbuilding. I was out here taking notes on all the fun little ways the writers and set designers made the world feel alive! Having read the first novel in the book series it's adapted from (after watching the series), I can say this is one of the few instances where a tv adaptation went above and beyond what was on the page.

For books, I haven't read a ton of sci-fi compared to what I'd call the more hardcore fans of the genre, but I recently finished the Children of Time trilogy by Adrian Tchaikovsky and I think I can comfortably call it my favourite. I love how Tchaikovsky explores his themes (among my favourite themes are: what does it mean to be sentient? is it morally correct to choose who gets to live when it's an us-or-them scenario? how do we connect to other beings that have almost nothing in common with us?), the way he pokes fun at the current state of our society (as all the best sci-fi works do, in my opinion), and the way he shows both sides of the core conflict in a way that makes it almost impossible to root for one over the other. It's also one of the few series where several of my irl friends have also read it, since it was a book club book, and a handful of them even picked up the sequel at the recommendation of the person who initially put it up for consideration. (Necessary, as the second book was a roller coaster, and all of us needed emotional support to get through it, lol.)

I'd love to hear about everyone's favourite genres and works within those genres, too! :grin:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi