This zone is sleeping right now! ZzzZZzzz

Better not disturb it! ~You go to the petrol station and buy a slushy instead, everything is cool!~

This area will open again in 000.beats!

(Learn about Swatch Time)

Some other zones are awake :^]


Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 28 Sep 2026 - @60.64
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: It's only life! :dog: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Communities & Online Life
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Windows 96


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Windows 96  (Read 2950 times)
Còbra!
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanHappy Birthday 2k24 !First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« on: Winter, 28 Feb 2023 @926 » Toggle Font Embed

So i've just discovered this cool in-browser OS by accident because people in the shoutbox were talking about the artist Windows 96. I didn't know what that was, so I looked it up and found this!

I thought it might have been a parody at first, but the more I've used it, the more I'm convinced that this is serious, and pretty well done!

There's a package manager just like linux where you can also add 3rd party repositories, and you can install jsLinux on it and use it's terminal. (Though as of the latest version when this thread was started, that would mess up the backing up process if you're going to use that.)

Of course, they ported Doom to it, naturally, but also Half-Life: Uplink and Friday Night Funkin'.

In fact, I'm actually typing this on Windows 96 right now!

https://files.catbox.moe/dssacn.png

I've also had a crack at developing my own app for it. Windows 96 applications are basically modified Javascript programs, so I decided to try and port the demo for my game to the OS by modifying an exported browser version, and sure enough I got it working!

https://files.catbox.moe/xqjpqq.png

I can't find any use case for this OS, and don't see how I can use it in my every day life or workflow, but goddmn it it is so cool! They're planning on making a BIOS installable version in the future, which would be pretty sweet!

Has anyone else tried this? What are your thoughts?

« Last Edit: Winter, 28 Feb 2023 @933 by Cobra! » Logged


http://internetometer.com/image/51163.png

https://i.imgur.com/leo4ZYP.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/C3gPKb3.png"He/Him (Nature green star)""Cis Ally""Pan: Straight Lean"https://i.imgur.com/kI850Ts.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/pkY2oAO.pnghttps://imgur.com/QUBFnZD.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cjVsXOX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G8AyR6r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/0HBKL8H.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
SilkSkull
Hero Member
*****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
iMood: SilkSkull

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Cool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: Winter, 28 Feb 2023 @949 » Toggle Font Embed

I love windows 96! Such a fun thing to just mess with and feel nostalgic on. I'd love to see more tools like this! There are a couple other browser OS tools that I love to mess with and I think that it's such a fun idea :grin:

Logged

She/Her
Figuring out a new sig :P
https://web.archive.org/web/20090821100844im_/http://geocities.com/Athens/9334/water.gif
1337nightbug
Casual Poster ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


digital style!
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: Spring, 02 Mar 2023 @125 » Toggle Font Embed

I remember messing around with windows 96 years ago!! glad to see it's still being developed :D

Logged

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/790233398555836436/1048803503667171389/Tumblr_l_2059833326487.gif
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/790233398555836436/1048805217182961684/buttonAlt.gif
Colliewood
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


Ca-caww!
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: Spring, 02 Mar 2023 @135 » Embed

wow! windows was around 96 years ago?  :omg: /s
(sorry i had to)

Logged

She/Her Canadian anarchist. Mythological Post-Modern Urban/Folk-Gothic Decolonial of 26 years
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/261531380/1515095596/1500x500
Còbra!
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanHappy Birthday 2k24 !First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #4 on: Spring, 02 Mar 2023 @175 » Toggle Font Embed

wow! windows was around 96 years ago?  :omg: /s
(sorry i had to)

That’s the first time I’ve seen someone not know about Windows 95 and 98. I feel old now.

Logged


http://internetometer.com/image/51163.png

https://i.imgur.com/leo4ZYP.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/C3gPKb3.png"He/Him (Nature green star)""Cis Ally""Pan: Straight Lean"https://i.imgur.com/kI850Ts.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/pkY2oAO.pnghttps://imgur.com/QUBFnZD.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cjVsXOX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G8AyR6r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/0HBKL8H.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Enter Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe