Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
October 18, 2024 - @249.65 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Stars Posts: 29/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: :transport: More is More :transport: :4u:
Halloween Topics! Gfx + Costumes, Decor + Crafts, Prep, Horror Movies, Spooky Songs! ~ E-Zine #2 is out now!

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects
| | |-+  Pixel Sea - 32x32 Icons and 88x31 Badges!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Pixel Sea - 32x32 Icons and 88x31 Badges!  (Read 2444 times)
xandra
Full Member ⚓︎

i want to be with you everywhere

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: xandra
iMood: xandra0

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Spring :^}OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2023 @140.09 »

LOVE this, melon!!! you've outdone yourself with this one. the sounds are 10/10.

this quote from hacker news is amazing:
This is an example of what websites should be like. Whimsically creative and a little unhinged.

heck yeah! hahaha
SilkSkull

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2023 @825.12 »

Super cool addition to the melon roster, I'm excited to browse it and send new web revival enjoyers towards it!!!!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Dreamwings
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Professional-grade yapper and late to the party

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sealiously Cool User AwardJoined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2024 @615.21 »

I'm super curious and I've been wondering since I stumbled across this back in Feburary so now I can finally ask, how does this site's search work?? It's on Neocities, so it couldn't be a database since you wouldnt be allowed to host/run it on there (or did you?? And it's just hosted externally?? Or maybe not because putting the credentials in JS would be ridiculously insecure..... unless you did... :tnt: I mean it might just be a user with only select perms in that case but STILL). Is it just a really, really long Javascript variable?? Something else entirely??

If I sound angry I'm probably not unless I say so. I'm just really really blunt. :dog:
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

I FOUND A PONEH

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Wishing you Happy Times when you're online!Bred :320% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2024 @894.44 »

I'm super curious and I've been wondering since I stumbled across this back in Feburary so now I can finally ask, how does this site's search work?? It's on Neocities, so it couldn't be a database since you wouldnt be allowed to host/run it on there (or did you?? And it's just hosted externally?? Or maybe not because putting the credentials in JS would be ridiculously insecure..... unless you did... :tnt: I mean it might just be a user with only select perms in that case but STILL). Is it just a really, really long Javascript variable?? Something else entirely??
Oh yeah, it uses Capstasher's 88x31 collection for looking up buttons

Dreamwings
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2024 @341.57 »

Oh yeah, it uses Capstasher's 88x31 collection for looking up buttons
I know that part (I forget how. Double checked the website just to make sure I was right but it actually deoesn't mention it on there so maybe I saw it from the hosting when I clicked on the buttons to download them??). But how does it serve them? Capstachers collection is also on Neocities, unless they're hosting a MySQL database on an external server and then serving it on their site with JS like my original theory (and PixelSea is also tapping into that same set)? Or they're also storing it in a giant array that is pulled from when someone searches for something? Or do you mean its looking at the pages of the site with JS, crawling it for metadata, and then serving it each time search is used (which at that point it probably would just be easier to use an actual database but ig you gotta work in limitations)?

If I sound angry I'm probably not unless I say so. I'm just really really blunt. :dog:
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2024 @579.33 »

It's on Neocities, so it couldn't be a database since you wouldn't be allowed to host/run it on there
Sooooo :grin: You're making the assumption that a database needs to be a large program running on a server somewhere, switched on and always available - but this assumption is not correct!

Databases come in many shapes and formats and technologies - Pixel Sea uses a client-side database! In short, there is a data file that contains all the information for the database about icons on the site. When you load the site, that data file is downloaded to your browser, and a mini JavaScript database engine then starts in your browser. It processes all the data in the file and when its ready it flags the UI as ready and the site starts up! (All of this happens in under 1 second - also, when the printer says its starting up, it really is! This is the database loading, its not done for aesthetic reasons). When you close the browser tab everything is shutdown and the database is deleted! (for speed sake, the data file is cached, but each time you open the site a new database is spun up) :pc:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Dreamwings
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2024 @592.88 »

Sooooo :grin: You're making the assumption that a database needs to be a large program running on a server somewhere, switched on and always available - but this assumption is not correct!

Databases come in many shapes and formats and technologies - Pixel Sea uses a client-side database! In short, there is a data file that contains all the information for the database about icons on the site. When you load the site, that data file is downloaded to your browser, and a mini JavaScript database engine then starts in your browser. It processes all the data in the file and when its ready it flags the UI as ready and the site starts up! (All of this happens in under 1 second - also, when the printer says its starting up, it really is! This is the database loading, its not done for aesthetic reasons). When you close the browser tab everything is shutdown and the database is deleted! (for speed sake, the data file is cached, but each time you open the site a new database is spun up) :pc:

OOOOOOOHHH! I didn't even think of that. I was only thinking in things like SQL. Ahhh kinda seems like a no-brainer now that I realize it. Occam's razor and all that. Very clever indeed.

SiLver
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: SiLverSkelebeast

View Profile WWW

Lego Bionicle !Joined 2024!
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2024 @418.61 »

This is Super useful! Ill probably come back to it as a resource in the future when I am in need of little emblems and the like. :4u:

:skull: Disciple of the Evil Skull since 2007 :skull:
Semper
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Lurking and learning

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: semper

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2024 @241.68 »

This is so neat! The music is really charming. I am absolutely delighted that there are Tiger gifs!! I love them! I hope it's ok that I downloaded a couple of them for use in my private Discord server.

Feel free to climb the tree
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Daniel's Network Search (Discontinued)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ MelonLand Projects

Replies: 3
Views: 2406
Last post March 19, 2022 @479.06
by Karius
++ Forum Badges and Graphics ++

Started by MelooonBoard ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials

Replies: 7
Views: 4642
Last post April 15, 2023 @779.31
by shevek
What web badges should I add to my collection?

Started by Icey!Board ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 4
Views: 2000
Last post January 06, 2022 @398.72
by xandra

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi