Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @144.77 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 17/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 856.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | | |-+  what do you think of CRT TVs and monitors? do you still use those?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: what do you think of CRT TVs and monitors? do you still use those?  (Read 1386 times)
elliebees
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023 @70.38 »

I *love* CRTs !! :eyes:   I have three CRT TV's that I've hooked up to Chromecasts so I can stream on them, and a CRT monitor for my computer. The smallest TV I have is a little portable one with a screen about 11cm corner to corner. It was quite the project to get streaming because it's from the early 1980s. I ended up putting it through about 5 adapters to get it to work :omg:

Here it is when I finally got it set up:

[Edited to add the image ! Accidentally hit post too early  :ohdear: ]

dozzleDsnozzler
Casual Poster

call me skeet!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2023 @155.02 »

i've been daily driving a WEGA trinitron for about two years now. thru a few revisions over the years i managed to get a really solid image output from my PC to my crt using an HD 5450 gpu running CRT emudriver. i've gotten quite a few adult swim full broadcasts archived so i like to wind back and fall asleep to them after work  :ha:

overall, i like crts and modern screens but i'm really disappointed with the state of modern consumer tvs. every tv being "smart" just locks consumers into more proprietary bullshit and hurts the quality of the actual product. that's why i stick with my crt.

there's some japanese dude rn working really hard on modeling a beautiful 4k Granin
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2023 @160.09 »

I absolutely love CRT's and I want to finda good way to make my regular moniter look like a CRT until I find one on marketplace or ebay :P, I think they have a great warmth and comfort as well as making retro games look better (This is fact, they make the images blend together better and it's really cool if you wanna learn about it!)

i've been daily driving a WEGA trinitron for about two years now. thru a few revisions over the years i managed to get a really solid image output from my PC to my crt using an HD 5450 gpu running CRT emudriver. i've gotten quite a few adult swim full broadcasts archived so i like to wind back and fall asleep to them after work  :ha:

overall, i like crts and modern screens but i'm really disappointed with the state of modern consumer tvs. every tv being "smart" just locks consumers into more proprietary bullshit and hurts the quality of the actual product. that's why i stick with my crt.

Could you maybe point me in the direction of finding those archives or similar ones?  :omg:

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

dozzleDsnozzler
Casual Poster

call me skeet!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2023 @169.64 »

Could you maybe point me in the direction of finding those archives or similar ones?

funny you mention that! i'm cooking up some ideas to get a site that airs one adult swim broadcast per night, invite only of course but i'm still deciding whether i want to stream the actual broadcasts themselves, or recreate them. the broadcasts i own were acquired thru a private sharing site which i am apart of, but i would be happy to share a couple of them via gdrive or whatnot

there's some japanese dude rn working really hard on modeling a beautiful 4k Granin
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: SilkSkull

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2023 @194.65 »

funny you mention that! i'm cooking up some ideas to get a site that airs one adult swim broadcast per night, invite only of course but i'm still deciding whether i want to stream the actual broadcasts themselves, or recreate them. the broadcasts i own were acquired thru a private sharing site which i am apart of, but i would be happy to share a couple of them via gdrive or whatnot

That sounds like a really cool idea! also I'd love that! Great to fall asleep to. Feel free to DM me!!!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2023 @386.63 »

Adding myself with SilkSkull here because I'd been wanting to watch Adult Swim even though it's not available in my country... Good idea either way!

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Memory
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2023 @430.07 »

I wish I could use CRTs more, but since the retro gaming trend (and honestly, people like us) they have become extremely pricey. :drat:
dozzleDsnozzler
Casual Poster

call me skeet!

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2023 @879.46 »

(and honestly, people like us) they have become extremely pricey.

i'm lucky to have found mine right before they skyrocketed in price, though i actually got my most recent one to replace my older trinitron which only had AV and s-video inputs (don't worry the other one was given to a friend!)

even really crap tubes go for a lot now, it really sucks. i've seen crts being used as decorations for stores and whatnot, full walls of functioning tvs not for sale. seems like most of the world still sees them as junk or novelty, which is really difficult for me to swallow sometimes.

PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2023 @610.07 »

I really like them! I want to eventually get a CRT monitor to pair with a tower PC and use as my computer once my reliable old Intel iMac bites the dust. Speaking of iMacs, I also ended up getting an old G3 iMac in the original bondi blue recently! Sadly, whilst it turns on, the hard drive and optical drive seem to be dead, so I'll have to replace those. But other than that, it works! I really love how much character CRTs have. It's like how Bill Watterson used old rotary phones and TVs with antennae in Calvin and Hobbes, even though they were outdated by then, because he felt they had "more character". I feel the same about CRTs, and I feel like they might encourage me to spend less time faffing about on the computer somehow.

"...And we are not angels, to be comforted by seeing the means for which everything is sent."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, Wives and Daughters

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Happy Birthday 2k24 !bred :3First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2023 @919.36 »

I wish I could use CRTs more, but since the retro gaming trend (and honestly, people like us) they have become extremely pricey. :drat:

Is that a thing in local shops over there as well as online? Because I got both of my CRTs for a total of 40 bucks, and one of them I got for free!

The second one I got, which I got a week ago, I got from a popular market where I live, and I randomly thought I'd ask a gaming shop if they had any, and sure enough, they did! It works great, although it doesn't support NTSC (Many cheap TVs in Europe didn't), meaning I can't do 60Hz for 6th generation games, but I use component or VGA for those anyway, which I'll use my PVM for, so not a huge deal.

VHS and Laserdiscs look great on it, though!

Makes me wonder, though, there's clearly a demand for them now, so why doesn't someone start making consumer CRTs again? The tech is still being made for Navies and Museums, so it's not like they have to do everything from scratch.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023 @920.87 by Cobra! » Logged

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
starbreaker
Sr. Member ⚓︎

What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2023 @942.30 »

I used to have a used Trinitron computer display, and what I remember most is how I had a fluffy black cat who would curl up on top of it because it threw off so much heat, and how he'd reach over and boop me on the head with a paw when he wanted attention.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 41
Views: 4898
Last post August 01, 2024 @945.76
by arsenicCatnip
Can a website be "useless"?

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 45
Views: 5418
Last post September 15, 2023 @380.17
by shevek
I'm thinking of making a blog

Started by MrsMoeBoard ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery

Replies: 3
Views: 1504
Last post July 16, 2023 @208.53
by starbreaker

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi