Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @146.33 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 17/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 854.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  Internet grammar and funny mistakes

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Internet grammar and funny mistakes  (Read 542 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« on: November 03, 2023 @624.09 »

I had a funny conversation with my mum today after I realised she always seemed confused after I'd correct a typo with a closing "

For example:
I went to the shop and gone so bread
got some"

It prompted me to ask if she understood that a closing comma meant typo correction, and she did not. Apparently she thought that three dots indicated a typo correction (which to me would indicate an awkward pause...)

I went to the shop and gone so bread
got some...

So the flip side was that whenever she corrected a typo I'd read it as something like "got some .. Uhhh Im so sick of these dang typos  :drat: "

It made me realise that for many years Iv been completely misinterpreting how she speaks online or in group chats in a subtle but quite significant way!

I wondered if anyone else had funny grammar experiences or questions about online grammar use and instant messaging social rules that they wanted to discuss?

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
larvapuppy
Full Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023 @664.21 »

I've always used an asterisk to indicate a typo correctiom!
Correction*

:cheerR:

This isn't really a grammar thing, but when I first started using the internet I wasn't very emoticon savvy. By that point I was familiar with the basic ones like :), :P, :/ and even :3. But one day I came across the <3... And using my prior knowledge of :3, I read it as a cat closing its single eye.  :ohdear:  I didn't learn that it stands for a heart until a few months later!

the end of an era, one starts anew
TheNothingMonster
Full Member ⚓︎

Hey psst! Wanna see something spooky?

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: thenothingmonster

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023 @669.81 »

I recall mistaking a purposely false-typed sentence in English (intended for comedic effect) for a phrase from my mother tongue. The user who had typed this clearly did not speak my mother tongue and it took me an embarrassing while to realise it. :ohdear:

I also keep on confusing common internet abbreviations (e.g.: tbh, smh, ofc)* on occasion. I still can't understand half of them and I often end up reading sentences in wrong tones. :tongue: I appreciate it when people take their time to type the full phrase, ha ha!

*(to be honest, shaking my head, of course)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023 @909.76 »

I always enjoy seeing what is often called the boomer dots (at least among the people around me), as well as the boomer quotes. My girlfriend's step mum is notorious for this and it has created many memes in that family.
She will post a status somewhere and it's like:

Having "pancakes" with the "family" .... "Happy" Weekend....

And she doesn't realize how ominous or threatening it can sound :grin: or how that makes it seem as if none of that is happening, that none of it is pancakes, that this isn't even her family. Every new status like that is a surefire banger in that regard.

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Memory
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023 @437.75 »

[removed by author]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2024 @629.63 by j » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Is the future of the internet in the metaverse?

Started by sadnessBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 33
Views: 5125
Last post August 11, 2024 @952.67
by Phoenix
Gemini, an internet protocol

Started by m15oBoard ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 16
Views: 4275
Last post April 19, 2024 @292.67
by arcus
I miss the old internet-but I never experienced it.

Started by syx (dead)Board ☞ ∙ Life on the Web

Replies: 13
Views: 2743
Last post October 08, 2022 @645.95
by manpaint

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi