Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 01 Oct 2026 - @231.31
Forum Activity: Five Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :seal: Thank you for today! :seal: Guild Events: Halloween Watch-a-thon
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Writing
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Books & Stationery
| | |-+  Is it fanfiction without an existing cast and setting?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Is it fanfiction without an existing cast and setting?  (Read 3127 times)
starbreaker
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: starbreaker
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« on: Summer, 27 Jul 2023 @912 » Toggle Font Embed

I was going to blog about this, but I thought it might be a worthwhile forum topic instead. What do you call work that doesn't use the cast and setting of an existing work, but was inspired by that work and heavily influenced by it? Is it still fanfiction, or just pastiche?

Logged

https://starbreaker.org/assets/buttons/starbreaker-88x31.avif

as all kingdoms fall, let my will be done on earth, and heaven be damned
Memory
Guest

« Reply #1 on: Summer, 27 Jul 2023 @917 » Embed

Even if it's dull or repetitive I would still call it an original work, in the end nothing is new under the sun and a lot of histories share similar concepts, its foolish to think that one can create something 100% original.

As an example, I love Tolkien's writings but it hardly has any ground-breaking and innovative concepts but it still is an excellent body of work. The same concept and plot can be presented in many different forms and narratives.

Logged
Bede
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


Your friendly neighborhood boygirl!
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: azure
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Deviantart Llama!Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 27 Jul 2023 @955 » Toggle Font Embed

I would just call that "regular art". Nothing in all of artistic history is original, after all! For example, my OCs' story is inspired by a lot of things (Good Omens, Nomnomnami's visual novels, Pinky and Pepper Forever, etc) but it's still my own.

I think that if there is an active effort to copy or imitate a singular work, then 'pastiche' would be a good word for it, though.

« Last Edit: Summer, 27 Jul 2023 @957 by Bede » Logged

❝ I will walk this path and reach the pinnacle of what Fairy types can do. This is my goal. I've chosen it with my own will. ❞

https://file.garden/ZkEY3dxjtja0xEri/forums/bedebutton1.png https://file.garden/ZkEY3dxjtja0xEri/forums/bedebutton2.png https://file.garden/ZkEY3dxjtja0xEri/forums/bedebutton3.png

https://file.garden/ZkEY3dxjtja0xEri/forums/ballonleabutton1.gif
grovyle
Full Member
***
View Profile


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: Summer, 28 Jul 2023 @016 » Toggle Font Embed

Yeah same, I don't know what I'd call it but I'd consider it original fiction. If it's close enough to the source it can be a retelling (think sticking with the themes and story for the most part, and overall having one of your characters as a stand-in for one of its characters), but I don't think that's what you're talking about. But yeah nothing original exists anywhere and that's good and I love disecting stories when I know what inspired them because you can see the threads tying the two together and that's SO satisfying.

Logged
strawberry
Newbie ⚓︎
*
View Profile WWW


❥ doin my best!
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: strawberry

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: Summer, 28 Jul 2023 @197 » Toggle Font Embed

i love this question. it's very much so a "grandfathers axe" thing to me - if you had your grandfathers ax, replaced the head of the axe, and then eventually replace the handle of the axe, is it still your grandfathers ax? if you remove the original inspiration and change around the settings and characters, is it still a fanfiction? i never read it so i don't know how accurate this is, but i remember hearing that 50 Shades of Grey series was originally a twilight fanfiction that the author published using different names.


I love disecting stories when I know what inspired them because you can see the threads tying the two together and that's SO satisfying.

oh my god, isn't it just the best? it's so beautiful to piece everything together and see the expansion of art that happens when two or more ideas and inspirations combine! that's what art is all about to me, the creations that happen when someone is inspired by another's creation. it never ends, and it's so beautiful!


Logged

just happy to be here ♥˖⁺‧₊˚✦
bugholder's epiphany
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


why do they call it oven
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: Summer, 28 Jul 2023 @220 » Toggle Font Embed

I dunno if you'd call it fanfiction, but I can see it at minimum being considered a tribute, at most being considered a work heavily inspired by the love of the original thing. (Guess that's just a Pastiche with extra steps lol but anyway)

There's a post i recall seeing on cohost talking about House Of Leaves and myhouse.wad, the latter of which was heavily inspired by the former. I think that's relevant here, methinks:
https://cohost.org/highimpactsex/post/1610077-preliminary-thoughts

Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #6 on: Summer, 28 Jul 2023 @524 » Embed

It's not fanfiction, it's just an original piece of writing inspired by something else.

Logged
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe