Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 01 Oct 2026 - @231.05
Forum Activity: Five Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :cry: Are u having fun? Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Writing
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Books & Stationery
| | |-+  Vintage Book Covers


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: Vintage Book Covers  (Read 2575 times)
bugfeli
Jr. Member
**
View ProfileArt


if you're gonna scream, scream with me!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: bugfelii
iMood: bufeli

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2023!First 1000 Members!
« on: Summer, 08 Aug 2023 @067 » Toggle Font Embed

something i've noticed especially when it comes to browsing for books in person is a very distinct difference in book covers that are old compared to newly published/republished covers. i think its more prominent in horror novels (totally not because it's really the only genre that i read or anything) as they've made a switch from hand-drawn illustrations to this conflicting graphic design style.

anyways thought id make a thread for any vintage/old book covers cuz i think they're really neat. here are some of my personal favorites from the horror genre :ha:

https://imgix.ranker.com/user_node_img/50086/1001701877/original/crabs-the-human-sacrifice-photo-u1?auto=format&q=60&fit=crop&fm=pjpg&dpr=2&w=650  https://imgix.ranker.com/user_node_img/50086/1001701880/original/the-girl-next-door-photo-u1?auto=format&q=60&fit=crop&fm=pjpg&dpr=2&w=650  https://www.poetsin.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/13-cabal-clive-barker-pocket-books-1989-768x1220.jpg  https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/nestling-lisafalkenstern-finished-1504645859.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*

Logged

https://gifcity.carrd.co/assets/images/gallery85/fd884c9d.gif?v=e3c0bc0ff
everything is okay, forever!

https://gifcity.carrd.co/assets/images/gallery370/d689d8d1.gif?v=e3c0bc0f https://web.badges.world/badges/programs/dvd_profiler.gif https://web.archive.org/web/20080228144646im_/http://gtmcknight.com/buttons/up/redbg.gif https://web.badges.world/badges/food/rockstar.gif
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #1 on: Summer, 08 Aug 2023 @078 » Toggle Font Embed

Oooo I love old book covers and graphic design! I use them a lot as inspiration!

I don't have most of my cool ones on hand, but these two are on my shelf!
https://nonit.me/external/images/old-books.jpg

I also reaaaallly love the old Foundation covers; I used to have one printed out on my wall; Id love to collect them but Id have to import from the US and ughh.
https://i.redd.it/iow7nbz8v8t51.jpg

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3eyntivemds pet fishcurious fish
Còbra!
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
iMood: Cobradile
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanHappy Birthday 2k24 !First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: Summer, 08 Aug 2023 @090 » Toggle Font Embed

There’s just something about old artwork like this, not just with books, but I’ve seen it with VHS tapes and to an extent video games, that invokes a sense of wonder and curiosity out of me, like I’m about to go om an adventure or something.

Does that make sense?

Logged


http://internetometer.com/image/51163.png

https://i.imgur.com/leo4ZYP.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/C3gPKb3.png"He/Him (Nature green star)""Cis Ally""Pan: Straight Lean"https://i.imgur.com/kI850Ts.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/pkY2oAO.pnghttps://imgur.com/QUBFnZD.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cjVsXOX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/G8AyR6r.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/0HBKL8H.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/YMPbu9R.png

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #3 on: Summer, 08 Aug 2023 @106 » Toggle Font Embed

Does that make sense?
It does! Although I always feel a little disappointed because the the actual media rarely lives up to how much the artworks promises :tongue:

One thing Iv realised is that its actually a pretty small club of artists who did all of that artwork; I honestly don't think the cover art scene of the 80s was much bigger than the web revival scene is now, everyone knew each other and a bunch of the are still working - for example the artist who did those foundation covers still takes commissions: https://www.michaelwhelan.com/gallery/

"I have been interested in the imagery of fantasy since early childhood and all my artwork is, at its most fundamental level, about creating a “sense of wonder”" - from his bio, same words as you!

It really speaks to the power of concept art and imagination; and also to the particular mood of an era that creates a particular kind of art!

« Last Edit: Summer, 08 Aug 2023 @107 by Melooon » Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3eyntivemds pet fishcurious fish
MrsMoe
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


Your friendly neighborhood living dead girl
⛺︎ My Room

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Deviantart Llama!Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: Summer, 08 Aug 2023 @151 » Embed

I love how much artistry some old book covers have and it's a big reason why I HAAAATE all the minimalist bullshit modern covers have. There's just so much less personality on display and they rarely ever tell you what the book is actually about.

I think In Praise of Shadow's video about this issue (specifically in regards to how it's been affecting horror novels) is really damn good and I highly recommend it.


Logged

https://blinkies.cafe/b/display/0113-autism.gifhttps://blinkies.cafe/b/display/0021-vampirefangs.gifhttps://blinkies.cafe/b/display/0182-halloweencathouse.gifhttps://i.postimg.cc/02L6smjc/ezgif-7-ebef155de1.gifhttps://64.media.tumblr.com/e53076104c8d22ed3d272d62cc8fccfa/88280e3f54890c11-c1/s250x400/aa5c1239ea59888acaa71ad26271790a794ccc5d.gifvhttps://blinkies.cafe/b/display/0138-greenglow.gif
https://i.ibb.co/Lzg2SZj/tumblr-5afbadec7c65089061ba8cfa48b57bc8-469c61aa-100.webphttps://tinyurl.com/yn2v726zhttps://tinyurl.com/39tjbzfmhttps://tinyurl.com/32x3t38jhttps://tinyurl.com/2ybkhmh5https://tinyurl.com/2ue7d945https://tinyurl.com/493hsx5phttps://tinyurl.com/ye28hzrphttps://64.media.tumblr.com/92ec86321325be8fac199fecef8fd7b0/tumblr_ptpl0x7U4o1y8ua8do1_100.gifv
starbreaker
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


What good is Heaven if we dare not storm it?
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: starbreaker
RSS: RSS

Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: Summer, 08 Aug 2023 @733 » Toggle Font Embed

I love how much artistry some old book covers have and it's a big reason why I HAAAATE all the minimalist bullshit modern covers have. There's just so much less personality on display and they rarely ever tell you what the book is actually about.

Unfortunately, if you're a writer doing tradpub you don't get the final say when it comes to cover art. You're lucky if you get a say at all. For example, I got stuck with this cover for my second novel.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1460129241i/29857248.jpg

I don't know if that cover is the reason my second novel bombed, but I doubt it helped.

Logged

https://starbreaker.org/assets/buttons/starbreaker-88x31.avif

as all kingdoms fall, let my will be done on earth, and heaven be damned
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe