Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @68.84 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 21/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 932.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  thinkin of virtual worlds.........

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: thinkin of virtual worlds.........  (Read 589 times)
soapfriendo
Jr. Member ⚓︎

soap, it/they

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: soapfriendo

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: October 31, 2023 @422.99 »

i've been thinkin of virtual worlds for quite a bit, like. just the general concept of them sounds cool as hell and it's just one of those internet things that i'd rly like to be revived. one general concept for a virtual world that i like is a world that allows you to basically make a world or avatar using ur own images and files n stuff. i know vrc has done that but it's obviously a vr thing even if there's a pc version. worlds.com has a similar thing goin on but considering it's old nature, the worldshaper is for those who know about that kinda old stuff and it's community is a closed ecosystem. that's just an idea tho, generally i'd rly loooove to see more virtual worlds popping up in the future and it's just a super fun concept to explore and talk abt and it just has a lotta potential for cool ideas, so i dunno just feel free to talk abt it
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023 @8.81 by soapfriendo » Logged

wygolvillage
Sr. Member ⚓︎

meow!!!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!melonlands goth cat!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023 @661.45 »

I've had "virtual worlds" and online games of the late 2000s kids' virtual world boom on my mind a lot lately, since one of the projects I'm currently working on is about my nostalgia for such games and how many of the old ones aren't archived at all.

I miss when the internet just had more sites to visit and places to go, especially for younger ppl, but it's kind of a double edged sword since most of these sites existed to push you into paying a membership subscription. Even the online sites I remember most fondly had some kind of premium commodity I had to beg my parents for.

neoratz
Jr. Member ⚓︎

ଘ(+ ໖_໖) tastes funny

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: neoratz

View Profile WWW

Won the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023 @715.97 »

virtual worlds are one of my favorite kinds of games ever! the more customizability the better :ha: i think one of the biggest problems with creating virtual worlds is they are really challenging to make and (depending on the complexity) REALLY costly to sustain, which leads to crappy membership systems like wygolvillage mentioned... and THEN that leads to stuff like Second Life being overrun with rental homes >_<

i hope another REALLY big one comes along soon. VRChat was (maaaybe?) the last big one, but i don't feel like it provides the same amount of freedom that something like Second Life or Whirled does

i promised i'm not alone in heaven... ˖˚
myleszey
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rabbit

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Two SSL certificates for the price of oneFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023 @720.02 »

Tower Unite provides a super pretty virtual world to hang out in and mess around with, but a personal avatar is very expensive to have commissioned, unlike VRChat.

I don't know how popular that is compared to Second Life though. SL is still running! If you wanna go back there and be a crazy critter nothing is stopping you.

Numberedpaws
Casual Poster

He/It - Gay little number

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: algebralien

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023 @775.37 »

Tower Unite provides a super pretty virtual world to hang out in and mess around with, but a personal avatar is very expensive to have commissioned, unlike VRChat.

I don't know how popular that is compared to Second Life though. SL is still running! If you wanna go back there and be a crazy critter nothing is stopping you.

Tower Unite was something I used to dink around in a lot. At the time I played it wasn't very active so it became difficult to enjoy activities without running into empty lobbies. I do wonder if it's more active now? Perhaps I should check it out again!

I often find myself wishing older virtual worlds were more accessible. Second Life has a pretty big learning curve that most people I've tried getting into it aren't willing to try understanding.

VRCHAT is exciting but limited in customization without learning a couple programs and building from scratch or purchasing a template. I suppose there are other VRCHAT alternatives, but I haven't tested anything else yet.

Furcadia is classic and fun to explore, even if it's a bit barren and premium features/avatars cost a lot.

IMVU scares me.

Roblox I have been playing since 2011. It never really gets old for me!

Manyland is fun if you like pixel art, though it's not as active as I remember it being.

I miss Feral a lot haha. Miss the days of testing that one. Sad it was killed by greed. Can't think of other virtual worlds that are active now that haven't been caught up with the crypto crap. Ah well.

Hello! Hi!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I'm thinking of making a blog

Started by MrsMoeBoard ✑ ∙ Writing & Stationery

Replies: 3
Views: 1504
Last post July 16, 2023 @208.53
by starbreaker
Strange New Worlds

Started by MemoryBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 4
Views: 1306
Last post July 12, 2022 @942.85
by Memory
AVATARA: A 2003 Virtual World Documentary

Started by neoratzBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 2
Views: 855
Last post December 22, 2022 @85.54
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi