Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 08 Oct 2026 - @701.46
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull: Guild Events: TIME FOR HALLOWEEN CRAFTS!
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Da Web Revival
| |-+  ✁ ∙ Web Crafting
| | |-+  ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!
| | | |-+  HELP: Language Switching?


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: HELP: Language Switching?  (Read 1541 times)
night-at-the-musian
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


Rule 1: Throw the bone!
⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: Winter, 19 Dec 2023 @237 » Toggle Font Embed

I'm working with some native Spanish speakers to translate my site into LatAm Spanish. Currently, I have a separate page where I keep all the translations; but I would like the option for a viewer to select the translation as part of a dropdown menu, a la Neopets, and their selection would carry across all pages. I've been trying to search for bits and pieces, but I haven't found a proper tutorial or method for getting it all together.

So! Any tips, tutorials, or suggestions on how to do this? Or will I need to make new pages with something in the URL, for example "site/esp/page.html"? All help is appreciated!! :4u:

Logged

Tiny Roman Appreciator
https://64.media.tumblr.com/e75f3a79b14a83e54eb6f7f1ab25ff3a/dba2cb98fcee4779-be/s540x810/d0b8bea1cb4705f18506276eb8ea8e0c867035d8.gifv
https://64.media.tumblr.com/c3f37b2d1e429e31b0d0f8aa325b9f93/a57fceeda9c695c6-60/s100x200/a2ac79f74428424ec8cb94808e46c9c30f5e5288.gifv
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #1 on: Winter, 19 Dec 2023 @822 » Toggle Font Embed

Static HTML sites don't make this easy  :ohdear:  You could have a Javascript that selects blocks of text and changes the text based on someone's language selection, but you'd have to custom code every piece of text or build quite a complex system of naming blocks of text and matching each block to a translation entry.. that's not impossible but is kinda a big job (I don't recommend this)

Neopets works using PHP, which means the pages are programaticly generated based on your preferences, that's a totally different technology (and it would still require quite a bit of work to setup; worth it for a complex site but not a small one).

If the translation is a primary focus for ur site then the best solution is just to have separate HTML pages for each language version of a page, make sure they all use a standard structure and use shared CSS to theme them all ^^ That not much fun to do, but its the best static solution. You can speed it up a lot if you use a static site generator like 11ty; 11ty takes a bit of learning, but I would say it's worth it if you have many pages and it's a good way to handle this.

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: Have a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3curious fish
wygolvillage
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWW


meow!!!
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: wygolvillage
iMood: wygolvillage

Artifacts:
Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: Winter, 19 Dec 2023 @858 » Toggle Font Embed

One section of my site switches what text displays in certain places via a style switcher (code I used is linked here) but to do that it would mean putting ALL of the text content of your site into your stylesheets and determining it via span class or span id, which honestly seems even harder than just making separate pages....

Logged

https://wygolvillage.neocities.org/images/siggy2.png
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe