Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @98.23 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 902.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :dive: Are u having fun?? :dive:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ☺︎ ∙ General Interests
| | |-+  Melonland and text based browsers

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Melonland and text based browsers  (Read 275 times)
invader_gvim
Casual Poster ⚓︎

My husband kept loving me when I became a girl.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestJoined 2024!
« on: July 12, 2024 @68.04 »

Lynx is a text based web browser that you should try browsing Melonland on. Its super cool and it makes you feel like Morphius hacking into the Matrix cus I'm such a kewl computer girl.  :seal:

I consider myself somewhat of a terminal enthusiast. Whenever possible I prefer to use text based means to do computer stuff as opposed to a GUI. In particular, Melonland is a very good website to browse and read posts using the text based browser Lynx.

Logging in is totally possible as you can see here.  :pc:   :ozwomp:

One concern I have is this warning message when you try to either post a new topic or reply to an existing topic.

Does anyone know if this is the sort of thing where it would have to be approved, or is it against the rules to post using Lynx? Additionally, if each post I made this way would have to be manually approved, I wouldn't want to cause people a bunch of work.

Either way, You all should try browsing Melonland using Lynx. Its totally fun and it gives me nostalgia for the chat rooms and other text based websites that don't really exist any more. I never even really got to experience them, yet I feel this strange nostalgia for them.

Thats something really sweet that I like about not just melonland, but neocities in general. It gives me this sense of exploration and wonder which is hard to come by as I experience being a grown up.
 :goL:

If anyone else likes to browse Melonland in cool and exciting ways, please share with me so that I can expand my repitour of fun ways to surf the web  :transport:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024 @74.61 by invader_gvim » Logged

ThunderPerfectWitchcraft
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Here be dragons

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024 @571.75 »

I find text browsers damn cool, but I basically only use them when I managed to crash my systems user interface and need to search for information to fix it
(this basically never ever worked :D).

There is no rule against using text browsers, and I'm pretty sure that this message is a bug in the forums interface. Checking it out right now, this message is
written with Lynx :).

Edit: Worked flawless :).

invader_gvim
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024 @309.90 »

I find text browsers damn cool, but I basically only use them when I managed to crash my systems user interface and need to search for information to fix it
(this basically never ever worked :D).

There is no rule against using text browsers, and I'm pretty sure that this message is a bug in the forums interface. Checking it out right now, this message is
written with Lynx :).

Edit: Worked flawless :).

:skull:  :skull:  :skull:  :skull:

You just made my day. Posting this from Firefox but I am gonna post from Lynx now too

invader_gvim
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024 @314.28 »

Yes it does work when sent from Lynx. With this newfound power I shall accomplish horrible evil. I look forward to the many flashing lights and neon colors which will dot my MelonLand experience now.

arcus
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: arcus
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2024 @394.17 »

TUI software rules.

Lynx is my favourite terminal browser too, it's nice and straight forward. I'm posting this from Lynx actually. w3m is cool too, it has image support. Elinks has mild CSS support, but it seems really inconsistent.

The main way I browse the site is through Canto-curses. It's a TUI RSS feeder that can also open links through a text browser. It's currently in maintenance mode, but I think you'll like it.

GUI wise, Dillo is a very nice browser. It doesn't support modern CSS fully, blocks all cookies by default, has a toggle for loading images and CSS, and doesn't play GIFs. It's really good for browsing the small web on low spec computer.

candycanearter07
Full Member ⚓︎

i like slimes

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: candycanearter
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!Artsy Candy CaneJoined 2024!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2024 @764.11 »

Lynx is a text based web browser that you should try browsing Melonland on. Its super cool and it makes you feel like Morphius hacking into the Matrix cus I'm such a kewl computer girl.  :seal:

I consider myself somewhat of a terminal enthusiast. Whenever possible I prefer to use text based means to do computer stuff as opposed to a GUI. In particular, Melonland is a very good website to browse and read posts using the text based browser Lynx.

Logging in is totally possible as you can see here.  :pc:   :ozwomp:

One concern I have is this warning message when you try to either post a new topic or reply to an existing topic.

Does anyone know if this is the sort of thing where it would have to be approved, or is it against the rules to post using Lynx? Additionally, if each post I made this way would have to be manually approved, I wouldn't want to cause people a bunch of work.

Either way, You all should try browsing Melonland using Lynx. Its totally fun and it gives me nostalgia for the chat rooms and other text based websites that don't really exist any more. I never even really got to experience them, yet I feel this strange nostalgia for them.

Thats something really sweet that I like about not just melonland, but neocities in general. It gives me this sense of exploration and wonder which is hard to come by as I experience being a grown up.
 :goL:

If anyone else likes to browse Melonland in cool and exciting ways, please share with me so that I can expand my repitour of fun ways to surf the web  :transport:
Wow, it does work! If I had to guess, I'd say the warning is because the HTML defaults to treating the post as "locked", then the JS removes that after confirming if it is or not. I'd still just use a standard browser for the shoutbox but it's cool this even works! I wonder if the shoutbox is supported on Dillo..

new to oldnet be nice

invader_gvim
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2024 @984.78 »

Wow, it does work! If I had to guess, I'd say the warning is because the HTML defaults to treating the post as "locked", then the JS removes that after confirming if it is or not. I'd still just use a standard browser for the shoutbox but it's cool this even works! I wonder if the shoutbox is supported on Dillo..

Thanks to your comment, I have tried out dillo and I can confirm it is a very fine web browser.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024 @139.40 by invader_gvim » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

My textbook is a bit out of date...

Started by diBoard ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving

Replies: 6
Views: 1899
Last post August 29, 2023 @867.22
by SilkSkull
Collecting 90s Texture CD Links

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 11
Views: 8480
Last post October 18, 2023 @880.69
by WynnDawnstrider
Earthbound Text Generator

Started by ObspogonBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 7
Views: 4497
Last post March 04, 2023 @848.91
by sig

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi